IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Trying to decide IS-F or Cadillac coupe CTS-V??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 10:19 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to decide IS-F or Cadillac coupe CTS-V??

I absolutely love the IS-F currently I own an IS 350 and it is awesome. But I am also exploring the Cadillac CTS-V coupe. I know they are to totally different cars but what are your guys thoughts?
Old 10-23-10, 10:32 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CTS-V is obviously faster in a straight line, but it looks like a car for old people (even the coupe).

However, in the interest of "varying things up," if it were me, I'd give the CTS-V a hard look. Why? Because you're coming from an IS350.

Going from an IS (350) to an IS (albeit a highly upgraded one - F) is nice - sure - but don't you want to experience the variety of other brands? For that reason alone I would suggest the CTS-V.

I will only be able to purchase a limited number of cars in my lifetime. I'm going to make sure that I experience as much variety as I possibly can - Lexus, Mercedes AMG, BMW M, CTS-V (nothing else in the cadillac lineup interests me), etc.

Consider other brands to vary up your experience (C63 AMG, M3, ISF, CTS-V, Audi RS4/RS6).

But, be sure to do your homework when it comes to important aspects like reliability. As it is now, I'd be surprised if any of the ISF's competition offers better reliability.

Reliability is nice - but at some point I think the benefit of "varying things up" outweighs the cost of diminished reliability - at least for me. The very least you should do is to give yourself a chance with all of these vehicles (C63 AMG, M3, RS4, ISF, and CTS-V) by test driving them all.

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-23-10, 11:00 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

The CTS-V is not exclusive enough compare to the ISF. Also, the coupe is huge (too big looking), saw it on the road the other day. Definitely for the 50 and over crowd. I say wait for an all new redesign of the ISF in a couple of years and keep your 350.
Old 10-23-10, 11:03 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a coupe vs a 4 door. If you want a 4 door get the F. If you want a coupe get a zo6. The interior in the CTS-V isnt worth it to me.
Old 10-23-10, 11:06 AM
sweetbird
Pole Position

get the cts-v very very nice car!

Last edited by sweetbird; 10-23-10 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-23-10, 12:21 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i agree with MRxSLAYx and PurduePete. the cts-v is a great car with great power, but the rear is offputting and it doesnt look as free-flowing as the sedan version IMO. the interior doesn't really cater to the driver as nicely as the F does. id go with the F if you don't want to worry about passengers getting in and out of the car, too. but if it's just you, then the cts-v coupe should be pretty good as well. best of luck!
Old 10-24-10, 10:54 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Agree sometimes the CTS-V looks clunky. I really like the IS-F are they redesigning for 2012?
Old 10-24-10, 11:03 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only the bulkiness of the front end makes me suggest the ISF.
The CTS-V is faster and has more tech in the suspension...which should make it handle and ride better.
Old 10-24-10, 11:33 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The CTS-V sedan looks much better than the coupe. I love Lexus, but I would probably choose the V sedan over the ISF if cost wasn't a factor.

With Caddy's new "Art & Science" design direction, it's not as much of an old person's brand anymore. However, whatever magic Cadillac captured with the sedan was lost on the coupe (It desperately needs a drop, for one thing). That said, I think I could mod it to my liking.
Old 10-24-10, 05:29 PM
JMBillsta
Rookie

Hey Katin2, I currently own an IS350 and just bought an ISF. I think the biggest difference between the 2 cars is the steering/road feel while driving the car. the 350 artificial steering is nowhere near bm/audi/cts base model units, so the car feels/drives totally different even though they look similar interior/exterior
Old 10-24-10, 06:26 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw the CTS-V coupe today, it was driven by an old lady, I personally don;t like the style, it does look like a bulky couple, almost like they took the 4 doors off and replaced with 2 big doors instead. I wasn't impressed.
Old 10-24-10, 08:40 PM
JetSetBen
Driver School Candidate

I love the look of the CTS coupe. I had a BMW 540 before getting my IS-F. I love my Lexus, but it isn't perfect. Terrible ride, some very cheap feeling Toyota Parts. On the plus side. It's been reliable, great service and it was 10K cheaper that an M3. It's super quick and looks great. The best part is that you hardly EVER see another one on the road.

My BMW was not reliable, at all, but everything I touched felt great. How do things in the Caddy feel? How does it ride? How do YOU feel about the way it looks?

I would consider all of those things when buying a new car. Good luck.
Old 10-24-10, 08:44 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd look into the CTS-V too. They are nice. The only thing is they are made by GM and it depreciates fast. On that note, I would look for used ones. The new body style is definitely nice
Old 10-24-10, 10:32 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

If you like the looks, then the CTS-V is a no brainer cuz the performance is at another level. It also has great amenities and interior design. However, like others have said, the styling is polarizing, and for me it's a dealbreaker.
Old 10-24-10, 11:04 PM
qsz06
Rookie

Had a CTS sedan 08 model and it was a piece of crap ! Bought the F and never have missed the cadillac. There is a fine line between the two different manufacturers .I own a 03 Z06 and love it, is it built as well as the F ..NO ! But is sure is fun!

Quick Reply: Trying to decide IS-F or Cadillac coupe CTS-V??