IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Trying to decide IS-F or Cadillac coupe CTS-V??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-10, 03:04 PM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like in my opinion the CTS-V would be sweet but that damn car looks like a HATCHBACK = Gross! At least test drive it! haha
Old 10-25-10, 04:27 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely going to test drive both but am definitely leaning towards the IS-F because of the reliability factor.
Old 10-25-10, 04:55 PM
maddmaxx
Driver School Candidate

Maybe I'm a blind brand loyalist since I would take the F car over the Caddie with no reservations for all of the reasons already stated. I am at a point in my life where reliability and longevity are important factors in my car buying decision. I've had two 350's before buying our ISF. I could have gone M-3 route or the GM but the F car's stout performance, distinctive looks, and the fact that you don't see yourself sitting at every stoplight when you are out and about was enough to put me in the Lexus. Factor in you get a really great car with the reliability of a Toyota and build quality of Lexus and it was a no brainer for me. My limited direct experience with America cars suggests they just can't match the quality offered by the rides built in the land of the rising sun.

I vote ISF.
Old 10-26-10, 08:00 AM
qsz06
Rookie

If reliability and you want something that does not squeak and rattle after 10k you should get the F. I was not impressed with caddies build quality.
Old 10-26-10, 09:24 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Does anyone here read Consumer Reports independent reviews often... ?

"The road tests online, explain the recommendation status.
With the 2011 CTS (NOT recommend):
We expect reliability to be much worse than average, according to our latest subscriber survey."

As a whole, the Lexus is just a more solid car for the long term.

Expect the next Gen IS-F around late 2012 as a 2013.

Joe Z
Old 10-26-10, 10:40 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

^^^^ Good point. I know some one with a CTS-V, and it creeks and rattles all the time when it is driven. The CTS-V is a nice car, but the quality is lacking.
Old 10-26-10, 03:28 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z

We expect reliability to be much worse than average, according to our latest subscriber survey."

Joe Z
Joe Z, great marketing leaning me towards the IS-F so I can buy your intake and exhaust . I will definitely be purchasing the IS-F done and done.
Old 10-26-10, 04:06 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Without a doubt, I'd go with the IS-F. Looks better (personal opinion, of course), more reliable, a lot of fun to drive. Sure, the CTS-V is slightly faster. On the street, I don't see that making a difference.

But seeing you're coming from an IS350, exploring something new might be a good idea. Let me make things even more confusing for you

CTS-V Drifting
Old 10-26-10, 07:29 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Joe Z
Absolutely! And it is the singular reason why I've never bought a Beemer or an American car so far.
Old 10-26-10, 07:57 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Default cts-v

Ok , all of the sudden everyone is agreeing with consumer reports ? Yeah Right !
A cts-v that "creeks and rattles " - wow . you should have been with me when I tested an is-f that had rattles galore inside the dash panel and the salesman coudn't explain that to me ! Not to mention the stability control sytem that prematurely kicked in around a corner and scared the crap out of me and the salesguy .
Bottom line is , every car that I've test driven has had some quirks or another and that is just the way it is , the lexus is no exception .
The cts-v is not just a little better in performance but hell of alot better period ! And is a much more solid chasis and suspension to handle the the awsome power it provides .As far as reliability , GM has the best warranty in the business as far as the powertrain is concerned , 100,000 miles .
Test drive the coupe and see how you like it , and then make your mind up without the biases .
Old 10-26-10, 09:01 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by B D HEMI
Ok , all of the sudden everyone is agreeing with consumer reports ? Yeah Right !
A cts-v that "creeks and rattles " - wow . you should have been with me when I tested an is-f that had rattles galore inside the dash panel and the salesman coudn't explain that to me ! Not to mention the stability control sytem that prematurely kicked in around a corner and scared the crap out of me and the salesguy .
Bottom line is , every car that I've test driven has had some quirks or another and that is just the way it is , the lexus is no exception .
The cts-v is not just a little better in performance but hell of alot better period ! And is a much more solid chasis and suspension to handle the the awsome power it provides .As far as reliability , GM has the best warranty in the business as far as the powertrain is concerned , 100,000 miles .
Test drive the coupe and see how you like it , and then make your mind up without the biases .
The F that you drove is obviously the exception to the rule. No car manufacturer makes a "perfect" model regardless of what any of the fanbois say.

I have an '08 F and it is as solid and rattle free as the day I picked it up....minus the annoyingly squeaky brakes.

Who gives a rats azz if it has the best warranty?
All that means is that it's likely going to spend more time in the shop but not cost you anything. Sorry, but my time is worth more than that.

That being said, I would fully agree that the V is on a whole 'nother level as far as performance goes. They are not close in any way.

I also can't understand Cadillac's obsession with overdone chrome?
I saw an SRX across the street from my folks place on the weekend and even it was covered in chrome.

Considering that I was offered a new '09 V for $2K less than my F when new, it would have been very hard to turn it down had they been available at the same time. They weren't and I'm happy with the car I have...for now.
Old 10-26-10, 10:01 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

Hmmm I do know this is a Lexus forum so I can understand the brand loyalty but you or anyone that is a car junkie like me would be closed minded to not consider the CTS-V coupe. To me the car looks decent and aggressive. Performance will probably exceed the ISF in just about every aspect in straight line and turns. If it were me I would give the CTS-V a serious look. Another thing to consider is modding. You will not be able to give the ISF much in the way of mods, mostly cosmetic with only exhaust, intake and still no ECU tuning yet(or ever so it seems).

CTS-V already has plenty of upgrades with ECU tuning available to it. You basically have a ZR-1 corvette engine and super-charger(The ZR-1 does have forged internals and a slightly bigger super charger) in a caddy.
The main draw back to getting the CTS-V coupe to me right now would be price. It will be more than a comparable ISF so it seems and I bet dealers are asking a premium.

So to rule out the Caddy in my mind without driving it, sitting in it or at least waiting to see how the quality control is could be a mistake IMO.

*edit* just looked at Cadillac's web page and built one. Loaded 77k but one thing that really surprised me is the MPG 12 city 18 hwy!!!!! wow I didn't see if it had a Gas Guzzler tax but that MPG is horrible. My ISF on the hwy regularly sees 26-28mpg.

Last edited by kickhard; 10-26-10 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-27-10, 08:55 AM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kickhard
Hmmm I do know this is a Lexus forum so I can understand the brand loyalty but you or anyone that is a car junkie like me would be closed minded to not consider the CTS-V coupe. To me the car looks decent and aggressive. Performance will probably exceed the ISF in just about every aspect in straight line and turns. If it were me I would give the CTS-V a serious look. Another thing to consider is modding. You will not be able to give the ISF much in the way of mods, mostly cosmetic with only exhaust, intake and still no ECU tuning yet(or ever so it seems).

CTS-V already has plenty of upgrades with ECU tuning available to it. You basically have a ZR-1 corvette engine and super-charger(The ZR-1 does have forged internals and a slightly bigger super charger) in a caddy.
The main draw back to getting the CTS-V coupe to me right now would be price. It will be more than a comparable ISF so it seems and I bet dealers are asking a premium.

So to rule out the Caddy in my mind without driving it, sitting in it or at least waiting to see how the quality control is could be a mistake IMO.

*edit* just looked at Cadillac's web page and built one. Loaded 77k but one thing that really surprised me is the MPG 12 city 18 hwy!!!!! wow I didn't see if it had a Gas Guzzler tax but that MPG is horrible. My ISF on the hwy regularly sees 26-28mpg.
Also a huge downside is the mpg and yes I think the gas guzzler tax is $1,600 or so.
Old 10-27-10, 02:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

... Not to mention the stability control sytem that prematurely kicked in around a corner and scared the crap out of me and the salesguy...
I think prematurely is highly overstated. Having driven the F at speeds from street to road course with and without the stability controls, I can say this does not happen. You drove over something slick or you mashed the gas at the wrong time. It just doesn't happen this way at all, ever.
Old 10-27-10, 05:21 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey it's my money and your money and I choose the Lexus over any Beemer or American car.

I am NOT trying to convince you (or anyone else) on what you think is a better car.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide IS-F or Cadillac coupe CTS-V??