IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Goodies from Japan (via Carson Toyota)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 10:34 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

That silicone intake tube was something I wanted to do long ago, but Samco was the most difficult company to deal with ever. That is awesome as it should be an insulator and very aero.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 10-20-10, 03:33 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great looking parts!
Old 10-20-10, 08:55 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Congrats on these very cool JDM parts...

Can't wait to see them installed.

Originally Posted by FIGS
That silicone intake tube was something I wanted to do long ago, but Samco was the most difficult company to deal with ever. That is awesome as it should be an insulator and very aero.

Fig

I examined this avenue a long, long time ago... The tooling costs are ridiculous (at least here in the US anyway).

At over $325 for this unit, it is a very costly piece to produce.
The end goal is achieved the same way with Aluminum, for less than half the price.

I found it a bit ironc that iCode released this intake version after Lems Jp bought a whole batch of my intakes from Carson..

They now also have a Titanium Version for just $700.......

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-20-10 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-20-10, 06:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Silicone has its advantages, but wall smoothness is not one of them. I'd bet a lot of money the smooth walled aluminum has a higher ultimate flow for the same diameter as the silicone version. Whether the difference is useful or not is another question.
Old 10-20-10, 08:01 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

All, thank you for your kind comments on all of the parts. I will try to hit on all the questions posted or asked in PM.

I got all the parts direct from Luis Salazar @ Carson (l-tunedparts.com). None of these parts are listed on their site. They contacted LEMs and inquired about all the parts I requested. I did my shopping here:
http://lems.ocnk.net/
You cannot order direct (as a U.S. consumer) through LEMS website. You will have to go through a dealer here who works with them. You can use their prices and current exchange rates (which are TERRIBLE) to ballpark the prices for these items and then add in costs for shipping to the States and within the states. All in all, Luis cut me pretty good deal and things were here in about 6 weeks. If someone is up for it, I would suggest to have him consider a group buy on one or more of these parts. I am sure it would save on the shipping from Japan and LEMS may give him better pricing.

I am planning to get the rear seat console, fog light covers and lip clear-bra'd so it may take a week or so before these items get put on. I am also wondering what I might do to protect the bottom of the lip (planning to start a new thread). My concern is that with leaving it carbon clear coated (and its thickness) after a couple of scrapes on the bottom due to inclines or other issues it will wear through, cause the bottom to become ragged or the clearcoat to crack. Also, I think someone asked if the lip was IS-F specific, which it is.

The texalium (silver CF) is a VERY close match to OEM but it is not exact. You can really only tell if you put them right next to each other. It is just a tad "brighter".

Pics of said Supra:

Old 10-20-10, 08:51 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ DROOOLLLLLLLL at those seats man. *envy*
Old 10-21-10, 12:14 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by okthxbai
Your silicone has two nipples.... and why are they erect?
For COLD air, silly!!
Old 10-21-10, 09:15 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Silicone has its advantages, but wall smoothness is not one of them. I'd bet a lot of money the smooth walled aluminum has a higher ultimate flow for the same diameter as the silicone version. Whether the difference is useful or not is another question.
I would argue that wall smoothness is better because its couplerless and its a smooth inner mold. It will depend largely on the finish of that tooling and of the slicone compound used. Aluminum when formed (even with a ball mandrel) has micro gall marks. Unless they are polished out, it will be rougher. Plus the pure fact that Al is one of the lowest thermal resistances next to carbon or copper means that the intake air will always be warmer with an aluminum tube once temperature stabilizes at operation.

Its nearly a factor of 1000X in terms of thermal conductivity. Somebody get a thermo couple on there and prove me wrong.

I would also add that smoothness and turbulence do not always correlate to power. Turbulence creates greater heat tranfer because there is more contact area with air passing through, in some places this is better. At the intake, there are so many other things happening before it gets to the intake port, I have a hard time buying it will add or loose power based on this. Temp has such a larger impact on air density than turbulence ever will. That is why you can jet a motorcycle for sea level when you race at 10000 feet and the air temp is 50 degrees.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting

Last edited by FIGS; 10-21-10 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-21-10, 11:27 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by FIGS
I would argue that wall smoothness is better because its couplerless and its a smooth inner mold. It will depend largely on the finish of that tooling and of the slicone compound used. Aluminum when formed (even with a ball mandrel) has micro gall marks. Unless they are polished out, it will be rougher. Plus the pure fact that Al is one of the lowest thermal resistances next to carbon or copper means that the intake air will always be warmer with an aluminum tube once temperature stabilizes at operation.
I have never seen any marks in ours....

But, then again I make sure all my material has been extrude honed & annealed..

The Air in any of these short tubes is never there long enough to be affected by intake surface heat.

It literally passes through there quicker than a blink of an eye...

Joe Z

P.S. Lobux = We are way off topic here to the OP, we really should slice out our posts into a new thread..

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-21-10 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-21-10, 01:52 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I have never seen any marks in ours....

But, then again I make sure all my material has been extrude honed & annealed..

The Air in any of these short tubes is never there long enough to be affected by intake surface heat.

It literally passes through there quicker than a blink of an eye...

Joe Z

P.S. Lobux = We are way off topic here to the OP, we really should slice out our posts into a new thread..
Boundary layer probably insulates more anyway so non issue.
Old 10-31-10, 02:48 PM
weswork
Intermediate

A few pics with the items installed. Have not gotten the lip installed yet. I had both the fog light covers and rear seat console "clear bra'd".

Old 10-31-10, 02:58 PM
weswork
Intermediate

More:

Old 10-31-10, 04:12 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice batch of JDM goodies! The fog light covers look real nice. Can't wait to see pics of the front lip installed.
Old 12-16-10, 11:43 AM
X20A
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump! Any updates on this? Still waiting for the picture of the iCode CF lip! I'm looking to buy one myself, and would love to see it.
Old 12-16-10, 05:50 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Sorry,
I know its been two months. Things have been hectic and haven't been able to give up the car for a couple of days yet to have it installed at the body shop I use. I hope to do it within the next couple of weeks. WIll post up pics as soon as its done.

Quick Reply: Goodies from Japan (via Carson Toyota)