IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Super Saloons

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-10, 08:31 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt change my F for a thing in the world..
Old 10-18-10, 07:33 PM
kartoos100
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To throw a curve ball in there! What is the take on the CTS - V compared to the ISF? I love the IS F and would love to own it one day! But the Caddy is got comparable interiors, even better maybe, has a proper manual and is in the same price range as the ISF.
Old 10-19-10, 07:15 AM
mrohno
Driver

Originally Posted by kartoos100
To throw a curve ball in there! What is the take on the CTS - V compared to the ISF? I love the IS F and would love to own it one day! But the Caddy is got comparable interiors, even better maybe, has a proper manual and is in the same price range as the ISF.
CTS-V is a beast for sure...the interior is just ok in my opinion and the exterior to me is a bit underwhelming. The car is just flat out fast though. My friend has the slush box and and it is the only downfall of the car as the the tranny just "feels" slow. As to being available with a "proper" manual...for me that is not an advantage at all...would MUCH rather have the lightning fast ISF tranny or true dual clutch tranny all day over a "proper" manual. I've owned the Audi shiftronic tranny (Audi's dual clutch) and it was amazing, but with that said the ISF feels just as quick.
Old 10-20-10, 09:31 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Default CTS-V vs ISF

No Comparison between the CTS-V vs ISF . The caddy's engine even with ist's so called "slush box auto" kills the isf both on the street and on the track .
The interior is in my opinion more luxurious and the caddy is quieter not to mention a Vastly superior suspension system - magnetic all around .

The isf to be fair was not to be compared to the big V , but it's price in Canada is dangerously close to a discounted CTS-V .
Old 10-20-10, 10:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by B D HEMI
No Comparison between the CTS-V vs ISF . The caddy's engine even with ist's so called "slush box auto" kills the isf both on the street and on the track .
The interior is in my opinion more luxurious and the caddy is quieter not to mention a Vastly superior suspension system - magnetic all around .

The isf to be fair was not to be compared to the big V , but it's price in Canada is dangerously close to a discounted CTS-V .
This is true until the Caddy overheats. The F does not, even in 102F temperatures at the track. GM has issues with putting enough cooling for track duty in their vehicles. Corvette owners put additional heat exchangers on their cars for track duty - unless you're keen on oil temps over 300F.
Old 10-20-10, 11:13 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Default cts-v vs isf

This is true until the Caddy overheats. The F does not, even in 102F temperatures at the track. GM has issues with putting enough cooling for track duty in their vehicles. Corvette owners put additional heat exchangers on their cars for track duty - unless you're keen on oil temps over 300F.
_
Not heard of one case of V's overheating from 2009 and up models , and not a single corvette from the C6 series either !
I know several cts-v owners who have spent time on the track and the V is very stable in very hot conditions . All cars can benefit from additional cooling which is wise to make sure you have oil and transmission coolers - which the V's and the Z06, ZR-1 and sport C6 has already_________________
Old 10-21-10, 04:29 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kartoos100
I have never driven any 3 series BMW nor the ISF. I considered them too small for my large body. Recently, I sat in thr ISF and found it to be more roomy than I thought....it has more roominess than the regular IS. Still, its exterior dimensions make me look like a sardine in a can.

Now we have the CTS V. Comes in a coupe, which I prefer. A car that is break-neck fast, very roomy, large enough exterior, sporty and luxurious. Just what I like. The styling....I'm not 100% sold on but it is not cookie cutter. My biggest reason for hesitation....it's a Cadillac. My grandfather loved Caddy's. That's the image I have of them....old persons car.

I will get passt my stigma and go drive one....for sure. But considering to buy one? We shall see!

Buying a car is tougher than its ever been. So many choices that are close. I guess you have to drive them all, more than once to decide. Hmmm, that sounds like fun.
Old 10-21-10, 03:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

_
Not heard of one case of V's overheating from 2009 and up models , and not a single corvette from the C6 series either !
I know several cts-v owners who have spent time on the track and the V is very stable in very hot conditions . All cars can benefit from additional cooling which is wise to make sure you have oil and transmission coolers - which the V's and the Z06, ZR-1 and sport C6 has already_________________
I talked to an instructor at CMP who said he was relieved his student's CTS-V overheated in three laps...guess it all depends on who you're talking to.
Old 10-21-10, 04:32 PM
PHXF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think lexus is really trying to make an M3 killer, and thus, they won't.
I think they prefer to offer superior value, near identical performance, better livability (ie more torque, WAY better mileage, 200k reliability, minimal maintenance, nicer appointments). Those are pretty sustainable competitive advantages. Making the car faster isn't sustainable, because BMW can turn around and up the boost, widen the tires, etc at low cost and in little time. So the strategy is to allow the BMW to win by the slimmest of margins in the performance category (and hence in the mags), but offer things BMW couldn't if their life depended on it.
Old 10-21-10, 07:38 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Default cts-v

Well , since that's the only case of a cts-v supposedly overheating then I chalk that up as a "freak case" !
I've done some very fast laps myself on a track for over an hour in temperatures reaching over 105 degree's and the caddy was loafing alone and that's with the airconditioning on . I think GM has a good handle on how to make high performance machines run on tracks all day .
Old 10-21-10, 07:42 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Why do people compare the CTS-V to the ISF, M3 and C63 ?

Its a larger and has about 100 more HP... why the hell would it not beat the ISF and etc ?

The CTS-V is to be compared to XFR, M5, E63, RS6... Not smaller cars like the ISF,C63 and M3.
Old 10-21-10, 09:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JDMToyotas

Its a larger and has about 100 more HP... why the hell would it not beat the ISF and etc ?

The CTS-V is to be compared to XFR, M5, E63, RS6... Not smaller cars like the ISF,C63 and M3.
Price. The CTS-V is a super bargain!

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I talked to an instructor at CMP who said he was relieved his student's CTS-V overheated in three laps...guess it all depends on who you're talking to.
One of the most impressive displays I've ever seen was driving/watching/Riding in multiple IS-Fs at Moroso from 8-5pm and not one failed. The only issue was one tire finally bust. The IS F was treated like crap that entire day and they just took the beatings. No brake pad changes, no overheating, A/C was cold, it was pretty amazing.

We are talking IS F's with 4 passengers inside.

Every IS F event I've been too there has not been ONE failure. As we know Skip Barber also uses the IS F.

IMO its one of those overbuilt Lexus/Toyota products that comes out ever once in awhile (Supra IV, LandCruiser, Hilex, etc)

Old 10-22-10, 06:19 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMToyotas

I compare them because they are all entry level sport-luxury models for their respective brands.
In the past, American brands always gave more bang and luxury for your buck. They often lacked in handling and material quality. Now they have improved both...indeed, the CTS-V has surpassed all others for every category except looks....which is subjective of personal taste.

The ISF is still a member of the IS line which puts it in the entry category in my book. Just thought I'd say that before someone peeps it doesn't deserve that label. It is debatable since there is no F model GS nor LS. But there is no other car in the Lexus line up to compare with the CTS-V than the ISF.

Last edited by Ice350; 10-22-10 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-22-10, 04:43 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I thought Stock ISF vs Stock Rs4 the IS F would take it,
I saw it on youtube first where they did many different tests and the ISF came out on top almost everytime.

When it comes to handling M3 is clearly the winner.
My guess is the M3 is fastest when modded.
Gintani Supercharger
Old 10-22-10, 04:45 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ice350
I compare them because they are all entry level sport-luxury models for their respective brands.
In the past, American brands always gave more bang and luxury for your buck. They often lacked in handling and material quality. Now they have improved both...indeed, the CTS-V has surpassed all others for every category except looks....which is subjective of personal taste.

The ISF is still a member of the IS line which puts it in the entry category in my book. Just thought I'd say that before someone peeps it doesn't deserve that label. It is debatable since there is no F model GS nor LS. But there is no other car in the Lexus line up to compare with the CTS-V than the ISF.
CTS-V = about 550Hp
LFA = about 550 HP

Those two should be compared!!
haha jk

Quick Reply: Super Saloons