IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Extended Warranty - Worth It or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 10:58 AM
verals05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF Extended Warranty - Worth It or Not?

So I wanted to see Pros and Cons of getting the extended warranty.

Also is it worth it? I have 49K on my car and it's about up. I need to make a decision very soon...

I've only had basic items covered underwarranty. Such as HID Bulbs, A/F Sensor, and my Rear View Mirror. They wouldn't cover my car alignment issue under warranty because my miles passed the TSB requirement.
Old 09-28-10, 12:51 PM
conlaurant
Driver School Candidate

I would think that would depend on several factors such as: the cost of the EW, how long you are keeping your F, and probably how quickly you rack up miles. If you're like me (and rack up the miles quickly) then I would probably get the warranty. The funny thing is you will probably never need it, I'm not really sure Lexus service departments even exist.
Old 09-28-10, 01:55 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What type of coverage: Co. Name; Mileage & Years & Deductible; Inclusion or Exclusion; Bumper to bumper? Cost?
Old 09-28-10, 03:56 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by avgj0F
What type of coverage: Co. Name; Mileage & Years & Deductible; Inclusion or Exclusion; Bumper to bumper? Cost?

$0 Deductible, Platinum Lexus Extra Care Warranty.
-5 yrs 100K.

I've driven my car about 26K miles a year so I figure 5 yrs 100K is the best for me.

Price? It's running about $15xx through Toby that everyone is talking about on My.IS
Old 09-28-10, 08:52 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's not a bad price for an extended warranty backs by Lexus. Ask for the policy coverage and look for exclusionary coverage clause, which spells out what not covered, before the purchase. I definitely wouldn't get one if it's an inclusion coverage.

If you plan to modify your car, like lowering or upgrading to larger aftermarket wheels, the entire policy may be voided. Read and understand the coverage terms and its fine prints, like making sure the coverage doesn't count from the date the vehicle was first delivered into service as a new vehicle. .

Originally Posted by verals05
-5 yrs 100K.

I've driven my car about 26K miles a year so I figure 5 yrs 100K is the best for me.

Price? It's running about $15xx through Toby that everyone is talking about on My.IS

Last edited by avgj0F; 09-28-10 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-28-10, 08:55 PM
F BOMB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Extended warranties are profit makers, for sure. One must do their own math factoring in the gambling equation. Imagine keeping the car, then imagine going through a transmission or engine.
Old 09-28-10, 10:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Not knowing much about extended warranties, because I avoid them like the plague. But, in your case, where you have done modifications to your F, IMHO, the warranty company could void the warranty if something happened that may be in some way related to a modification.

Lou
Old 09-29-10, 06:51 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Not knowing much about extended warranties, because I avoid them like the plague. But, in your case, where you have done modifications to your F, IMHO, the warranty company could void the warranty if something happened that may be in some way related to a modification.

Lou
Could NOT agree more with Lou, (Whom I usually disagree with) Being in the automotive business I have seen these warranties pay out ONLY a handful of times... Usually involving Chevy trucks and Chrysler minivans. NEVER on a Toyota product. Bank the money and enjoy the interest in the end of 2 yrs! They always find a reason to deny warranties! ALWAYS, and not to mention that they are a PIA to deal with!
Old 09-29-10, 09:50 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

I did subscribe to it for mine. I think it is worth having on this type of cars where all the engine and transmission parts are only 2 years old. We do not have any long term reliability info on these parts that would cost a lot to repair if broken.
I think it is and added value when you want to sell the car as well
Old 09-29-10, 10:07 AM
drmike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by verals05
-5 yrs 100K.

dang that guy quoted me $2200. (edit: nevermind that was for the 7yr/100k. You said $15xx for the 5yr/100?)

I bought the 7yr/100 through him for my wife's IS250 for $15xx.
Old 09-29-10, 03:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
Could NOT agree more with Lou, (Whom I usually disagree with) Being in the automotive business I have seen these warranties pay out ONLY a handful of times... Usually involving Chevy trucks and Chrysler minivans. NEVER on a Toyota product. Bank the money and enjoy the interest in the end of 2 yrs! They always find a reason to deny warranties! ALWAYS, and not to mention that they are a PIA to deal with!
I've never had these problems with the Toyota Extra Care extended warranty. I got a windshield (cracked under the mirror mount), passenger side airbag, and hatch struts for my Supra with this warranty.
Old 09-29-10, 04:40 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

im debating this as well. on one hand, it'd be added peace of mind that, should anything occur during the extended warranty timeframe, it would be taken care of. on the other hand, i bought a lexus for reliability and superb craftsmanship. my parents' toyota ran out of warranty almost a decade ago, and it's lasted almost 190k miles since. if anything might be of trouble, i think it could be electronic. there have been a few instances mentioned here on the forums about the nav screen going blank, and im just hoping and praying that nothing serious ever happens to my ride. most IS F basic warranties should be ending around 2012, so it's something to consider now. i'd expect quotes to be higher at that time.
Old 09-29-10, 05:46 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've never had these problems with the Toyota Extra Care extended warranty. I got a windshield (cracked under the mirror mount), passenger side airbag, and hatch struts for my Supra with this warranty.
I believe the question is are they worth it. Windshield I would leave to my insurance carrier. Hatch struts maybe $100-150, airbag is an anomaly IMHO, and I believe that the airbag system is covered by it's own extra warranty, but I could be incorrect. Being in the auto business I can tell you that Toyota airbag problems are far and few between. Given that it is HIGHLY unlikely for an engine or transmission to fail in the given period, these insurance companies are NOT stupid, to put it simply "They" are betting that it will NOT fail, And you the buyer is betting that it will. Given Toyota's past experiences I would take the first bet. This is why I would recommend against these types of warranties.
Old 09-29-10, 08:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
I believe the question is are they worth it. Windshield I would leave to my insurance carrier. Hatch struts maybe $100-150, airbag is an anomaly IMHO, and I believe that the airbag system is covered by it's own extra warranty, but I could be incorrect. Being in the auto business I can tell you that Toyota airbag problems are far and few between. Given that it is HIGHLY unlikely for an engine or transmission to fail in the given period, these insurance companies are NOT stupid, to put it simply "They" are betting that it will NOT fail, And you the buyer is betting that it will. Given Toyota's past experiences I would take the first bet. This is why I would recommend against these types of warranties.
OK, but the nav screen alone is over $2k and we've seen a few of them fail under 100k but over 50k. Assuming the most expensive failure is powertrain is very short sighted. And of course they're betting the coverage nothing will fail, and you're betting the premium something expensive will fail. This is true of ALL insurance.

Insurance won't cover a cracked windshield when the crack is under the mirror mount. They also won't pay for Toyota glass, and I'll have some deductible to pay. I paid nothing at all. It was treated like a warranty claim.
Old 09-29-10, 09:05 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by drmike
dang that guy quoted me $2200. (edit: nevermind that was for the 7yr/100k. You said $15xx for the 5yr/100?)

I bought the 7yr/100 through him for my wife's IS250 for $15xx.
IS250/350 are in a different class than the ISF when it comes to extended warranties.

I think the IS250/350 are Class 2 and the ISF is Class 3.

Quick Reply: ISF Extended Warranty - Worth It or Not?