IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY: Tow Hook License Plate Holder

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-10, 10:56 AM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Tow Hook License Plate Holder

Hey guys, so since no one makes a tow hook license plate holder for our cars, I decided to do it myself. I live in VA and front license plate is a must, I already got 1 ticket for that so I have no other way then putting it on. I did this so I can use this for my daily driving and for car shows just take it off and it works perfectly for my use.

Parts from Lowes - $5

1. Tow Hook - Look in your lexus took kit
2. Rope Clamp - Lowes - $1.25
3. Flat punched zinc plate - Lowes - $3.25
4. Bolts for license plate - If needed
5. Dremel or something to cut the zinc plate
6. Drill

1. The Parts

2. Measure the zinc plate according to your license plate and cut it. It took about 14 holes for mine.

3. Remove the tow hook cover and screw the tow hook really tight so the angle is like the picture shown below. Then bolt the clamp through the zinc plate so the bolts are facing towards the bumper.

Sorry this pic is wrong, Just posted so you guys could see the tow hook angle. Face the clamp towards the bumper.

Like This:

3. I drilled a hole next to the standard hole on the license plate to make the plate attach flush to the zinc plate. You don't have to do this if you get a L - bracket. I ran outta time and patience at the lowes lol so I just got the zinc plate. If you want to cover up the tow hook area so the license plate sits little high, get a L-Bracket. I will do this later.

4. Final Product

I think it looks alright and I know its not everyone's cup of tea but it gets the job done. When I go to shows I just unscrew the tow hook and put the cover back.

Last edited by djsai; 08-21-10 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-21-10, 10:59 AM
mikefate
Lead Lap

How's it hold up in high wind? Looks like it would bend back and scratch bumper? Or is the zinc bar rigid enough to hold it?

Regardless. Nice way to have a detachable plate without holes
Old 08-21-10, 11:08 AM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikefate
How's it hold up in high wind? Looks like it would bend back and scratch bumper? Or is the zinc bar rigid enough to hold it?

Regardless. Nice way to have a detachable plate without holes
I bolted it really tight. The zinc plate is pretty sturdy. I just did a test run on my way back home doing 120mph, dint bend or move a bit. Its holding pretty strong.
Old 08-21-10, 11:12 AM
mikefate
Lead Lap

That's pretty cool. And very smart $$$-wise. Good job man. Nothing beats a DIY success
Old 08-21-10, 11:17 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Good initiative and thanks for the idea, but IMHO it kinda looks a little unsightly. I guess I will have to continue dealing with the bucktooth look up front....lol.
Old 08-21-10, 11:23 AM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PurduePete
Good initiative and thanks for the idea, but IMHO it kinda looks a little unsightly. I guess I will have to continue dealing with the bucktooth look up front....lol.
Thanks bro. This is just for on road use only lol. I hate puttin front license plate, it just kills the beautiful look of our cars. O well not tryna get a 90 dollar ticket anymore.
Old 08-21-10, 11:41 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

great write up! i agree, drilling the holes into the bumper takes away from the beauty of the car. even better, that it stands up well in higher speeds.
Old 08-21-10, 11:58 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

why dont you attach the plate on the right side hole, that way the plate will be more towards the center
Old 08-21-10, 06:41 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Sai, great to see another creative DIY for the F!

....but if it were me I would never drive the car around with a plate sticking out like that. I'd take my chance and just pay the occasional ticket. On second thought, is it possible to angle the plate more so it goes with the curve of the front bumper rather than going straight out? I think if you did that, it would look better, kinda similar to how the plate is position on the EVO's.

Last edited by caymandive; 08-21-10 at 06:48 PM. Reason: nn
Old 08-22-10, 12:36 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandive

....but if it were me I would never drive the car around with a plate sticking out like that. I'd take my chance and just pay the occasional ticket. On second thought, is it possible to angle the plate more so it goes with the curve of the front bumper rather than going straight out? I think if you did that, it would look better, kinda similar to how the plate is position on the EVO's.
+1. I'd at least try to move the plate up higher so that you don't see the hole for the tow hook cover exposed.

Credit to you for coming up with a inexpensive solution to your problem.
Old 08-22-10, 03:36 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well done, Sai! Good creativity.

You can still see the tow hook, though - I bet you can use a couple more pieces of the zinc plate, arranged parallel, to raise the position of the license plate.
Old 08-22-10, 05:13 AM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

This thing is just temporary and can be adjusted. I just took pics to just show u guys. I will need an L bracket to raise it up to cover the tow hook area.
Old 08-22-10, 05:15 AM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive

Lol thanks James. I still need to adjust it and add the L bracket. You know how the ffx cops are lol. That tickets Money can be spent towards mods lol.
Old 08-22-10, 05:27 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice work man
Old 08-22-10, 08:31 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Good job Sai! Good thing the front plate isn't mandatory in FL!

Quick Reply: DIY: Tow Hook License Plate Holder