IS-F Virgin question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 04:54 PM
jojomon11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-F Virgin question

Hello,

This is my first post and am seriously thinking about buying a 2008/2009 IS-F and want to know from all you hardcores, if any major issues have occurred especially know it is a first year model. I have a P car turbo and it isn't my idea of a daily driver, at least for me. I am looking for more of a daily driver, I commute 40 miles one way in OC traffic, and really am looking forward to it.

Thanks for all your comments, I really do value them!

Phil
Old 08-15-10, 07:19 PM
Axtellz
Rookie

i drive an 08, not my daily- but plenty here do.
i find them to be pretty freaking bulletprooof, and a joy to drive!
I guess it depends on your needs/wishes.. some people find the ride harsh for a daily driver- i think thats crazy, but to each his own. I feel it is a near perfect grand tourer, luxurious, comfy.. yet at the same time a raging beast when you ask it to be.
Take one for a drive, and let us know how you feel. good luck,
Jeremiah
Old 08-15-10, 07:37 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

the ride is definitely ok for highways/freeways...once you get into crappy streets like San Francisco then it can get annoying at times but I've always driven cars with aftermarket suspensions so it isn't that bad for me but I can understand why other who maybe have never modified their previous cars, would think the ride is harsh.

The gas is great on the freeway but I am only getting 13.5 mpg in the city (a lot of stop and go however). I think the IS-F would be an awesome car to have along with your P-Car!
Old 08-15-10, 09:03 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

No issues experienced and none that I expect.

No issues out of the ordinary that I've seen from posts of people here who've had them since they came out.

Based on my knowledge and experience with Toyota, I expect it to be the closest thing to being near bulletproof.

Test drive one so you experience the ride which isn't what people normally equate with a Lexus. If you're looking for a tight, sporty ride (that you're already used to) then you're all set.
Old 08-15-10, 09:55 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

honestly, it has been everything and more for me. no issues, except for pesky street racers and my friends constantly asking for rides. the major issue, as stated on CL and even in some magazines, has been the stiffness of the ride. i personally think it rides fine stock, but i chose to change it up to tein cst coilovers just so i can have a little cushion yet still have feedback from the road. toyota built an incredible luxury sport sedan, and i love knowing its not going to break down unexpectedly, need any sort of maintenance aside from the normal duties, and can still turn heads. if you're strongly headed towards an IS F, i say get it. its such a great ride. it can be daily driven, but depending on your tolerance for feedback with the road, springs or coilovers may be a suitable modification to help you to and from work and wherever you need to go. hope you find the car that best suits your needs!
Old 08-16-10, 02:59 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

Its my daily driver and my only car currently since I sold my G35, I love it, I average 21 city (not much traffic where I'm at) havent had a single issue. Yesterday driving from the grand canyon I got 28.2 mpg tank avg, mostly in hills driving 80+ and also with spirited passing here and there. I love the seats and dont mind the "stiffness" of the suspension. I also like the fact that I don't really see them on the road too
Old 08-16-10, 07:30 AM
huksa
Rookie

I drive 09 IS-F as a daily driver and I love it. I have a 2-year daughter and a just-born boy - They fit well in the back seat with a booster and a bassinet.

But I should be honest about the ride quality:
It is fair driving around my town (I live in Philly). However, I would seriously think about having IS-F as a daily driver if the pavement around your area is not so good.. I once traveled through Belt Parkway in NY (Between Brooklyn and Queens) to JFK airport, and it was one purnishing ride. New Yorkers may have a different opinion on the road surface quality, but that will not change my impression...
Old 08-16-10, 09:46 AM
jimtut2112
Driver School Candidate

I also use mine as a daily driver and I love it. Most passengers comment on the stiff ride. The only real complaint is when they are trying to read their blackberrys!

Drive one and you'll be sold...just like I was.
Old 08-16-10, 10:08 AM
Dymelos
Rookie

I drive one as a daily as well, I have had mine for about 4 months now and I have put on 8k miles on it. Not a single issue with the car, I highly recommend it. Not only is it a blast to drive but it gets great mileage for what it is. I am averaging about 22 mpg with 60%city driving. Mine is an 08 as well and I am happy I traded my 350 in for it.
Old 08-16-10, 10:23 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

What about the Turbo makes it not suitable as a daily driver for you? Having spent a lot of time with a 996 Turbo, it's about as much a daily driver as a performance vehicle can get, IMO.
Old 08-16-10, 11:31 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Coming from an 2002 996 mk II with a x74 suspension on it myself i can tell you the suspension in the ISF is like butter and I have no idea what people are complaining about. Buy it and drive the wheels off of it in good health. It is a completely different beast than the 996 and you will enjoy NOT being on a first name basis with your mechanic with the Lexus.
Old 08-16-10, 03:22 PM
conlaurant
Driver School Candidate

I have an 08 Starfire Pearl and it SUCKS!! WHY?? because I commute over 100 miles a day with a smile on my face, the car feels like a rocket even in the 90 deg humidity, people are always looking at me when I'm driving, the smooth auto tranny in heavy traffic is sweet (normal mode) and the list goes on. The one thing I do like about the F is I can't drink my coffee on unforgiving roads kidding of course....... BTW I had an 09 C6 Corvette vert, triple blk with all the options, hud,nav,exhaust you name it, and my wife said one had to go.........and I have no regrets

oh yeah, I have over 50k miles and have NEVER had an issue. I didn't even know Lexus had service departments. Has anyone ever seen one in person?
Old 08-16-10, 05:30 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

^
LOL. So true and that is why I can't justify (to myself) buying a Beemer regardless of how admittedly enticing they are
Old 08-16-10, 08:14 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I just got a 10 month old 2009 with 12K miles. In a little over a week, I have put on 3K miles on it already...... It is an awesome car. Everyone is correct in saying the ride is a little stiff, but it's a small factor. I've had previous cars with aftermarket coilovers and were much stiffer. With the majority of the factory warranty still in place (especially for 09s), it's not such a big risk to buy used, and also Lexus quality. I prefer the 09s due to the black navi console, matches better to the black dash and other black things....

Right now is a great time to buy 09s, b/c you get alot of folks trading them in after only a year and dealers wanting to get rid, since fall is near. From my experience searching during this time of year, the majority of the trade-ins are either due to financial reasons or, which is the majority, wanted to upgrade to a SUV due to starting a family...

Good luck.
Old 08-16-10, 08:28 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

I've had 3 is300's. Still have two of them. I picked up an '08 isf and love it. I have a 4 month old and honestly the larger size compared to the is300 is great for car seats and using as a daily driver. And when my kids aren't in the car, it's one crazy *** ride. Coupled with the joez intake and exhaust, it sounds insane. I'm shocked it didn't come like this stock. The throttle response was greatly improved and I cant say enough positive things. I've been a Lexus "fan" for 10 a decade and don't myself ever choosing anything else, whether for me, my wife, or my kids.

Now if they only made an rx-f for my wife...

Quick Reply: IS-F Virgin question