IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

CTS-V or ISF about to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 04:44 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go for the Cadi if you dont car about losing too much money due to depreciation. The cadi cost more from factory than the isf. 20k in depreciation for a year is kinda steep but the CTS-V is a cool car.
Old 07-28-10, 06:12 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I would go for the Cadi if you dont car about losing too much money due to depreciation. The cadi cost more from factory than the isf. 20k in depreciation for a year is kinda steep but the CTS-V is a cool car.
About the same as a 08-09 ISF as depreciation goes (in my end of the country they (ISF's) are going used for 41k to 43k which is a 20k drop as well.
That said I would take the CTSv in a heartbeat! I own an ISF, and there are LITTLE to NO hop ups for this vehicle! in another year there will be soooo much stuff out for the V that you will go dizzy looking at them all. The LS9 motor is a MONSTER! I raced a 09 CTSV in my F and this thing SMOKED me, we did several runs and he would just play with me and pedal it to let me catch up and nail it again to show how easy he could pull away. There is a nice size interior in the V as well plenty of room. Reliability has been good considering what it is, and compared to the F IMHO. Ride in a CTSV is FAR superior to the bone jarring ride in my F! They are also a pretty exclusive car, and very few of them running around, they are a real sleeper look compared to the F, and that's fine by me! Oh and a Proper Nav system which will let you enter information while moving!!! ARRRRGGGG I hate Lexus Attorneys!!! So to reiterate if I had to do it over again, I would take a CTSV in a second!

Last edited by ming15237; 07-28-10 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-28-10, 06:43 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I cross-shopped the CTS-V when looking at the 2010 IS F, and honestly, aside from a few sticking details for me, there were only minor items which led me to favor the F over the V (ergonomics, my preference in smaller/tighter size, sound system, transmission, gas mileage, F styling, the dual personality of the car, reliability, and my dealer relationship).

You really can't go wrong in selecting the V, and it would make perfect sense to pull the trigger on one if its to your liking and at a good price. If the F didn't exist, and I was making the same move into the high performance sedan category, the V would've likely been my next choice.
Old 07-28-10, 07:20 AM
SCCAForums
Driver

The V has an LSA motor... not the Corvette ZR1 LS9. They resemble almost nothing but displacement.

The Caddy's LSA motor is not at all prepared for mods, cast pistons, smaller intercooler, and smaller supercharger. If you just plan to 'drive the car'... and not go mod crazy... the V will be fine. But I have a friend with one... and when adding Headers & Tune, made some great numbersr... however... when he decided to add the Pulley, it didn't help him at all... as then the supercharger just gets too hot for any gains on pump gas.

I was considering the V as well at one time... until I realized how 'cheap' they went with the motor...

Also... for 'me' the V is just WAY too big... looking more like an STS now... and bigger than an M5... I like a 'smaller' feel in my sports sedan.

Good Luck in whatever you choose.

Dave
Old 07-28-10, 09:09 AM
thatISaF
Driver School Candidate

I also did some cross shopping between the CTS-V and IS F. I was actually really impressed with the V's interior when I sat in it and the numbers on the motor also intrigued me as well. Seemed like the most bang for the buck for what you'd be getting. However, I ended up with the IS F as like most of the others here have stated: Lexus reliability, uncertainty (reliability) of domestic cars, and similiar track numbers/lap times.

Good luck on finding the right car for you.
Old 07-28-10, 10:09 AM
SCCAForums
Driver

Originally Posted by texan629
The LSA and LS9 engines are actually very similar except for the size of the supercharger and stronger bottom end. Interesting comparison chart here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post1739022
Yes, exactly what I said right? 'Smaller Supercharger, Smaller Intercooler, Weaker bottom End'....

LS9 - forged internals (crank, rods), Supercharger is 2.3L

LSA - cast internals, Supercharger is 1.9L,

Different intercoolers

LSA Cam specs

Valve Lift .480" intake / .480" exhaust

Duration(@.050 in) 198 intake / 216 exhaust

LS9 Cam specs

Valve Lift .562" intake / .558" exhaust

Duration(@.050 in) 211 intake / 230 exhaust

LSA, with an intercooler,and larger supercharger... would be fierce. Again, for me... the CTS has just 'grown' to large in overall size... but is definitely a great all around super sedan.

Dave
Old 07-28-10, 10:10 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
I looked at those too because they seemed suspiciously low. The fastest time as well as a few of the other low 12sec runs are run by an owner named Cole who actually lists drag radials as the tires he was running when he achieved those times. I would say that tires make a bigger difference than any other mods available for these cars and so for the owner to label the car as stock is somewhat misleading.

The 2nd fastest time seems to have some eyebrows raised as well, in particular from the owner of the car with the fastest time. So I don't really know what to make of those times.

I would say that the Caddilac should be considerably faster given its power to weight ratio is 7.18 lbs/hp wheras the Lexus is only 8.92 lbs/hp.
To clarify I'm "Cole" listed on dragtimes and the the below run is the only one that drag radials were used in stock power form.

12.38@115

To the OP, I would go for the CTS-V. I think the car looks great and has very very impressive numbers!
Old 07-28-10, 10:37 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's gonna be hard to return that Torque-Monster V back to the dealer.

Go for the V, get a solid extended warranty and drive it like you stole it!
Old 07-28-10, 11:55 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by someboy
doesn't the CTS-V has a 556HP supercharged V8? but it's lap time is only slightly faster than the IS-F's. I say IS-F FTW!
19 seconds is an eternity on a road course. That is more than slightly faster than a IS F and that's coming from an IS F owner who has done a few track days.

As others have said the CTS V is another animal comapared to the IS F. It's a very nice car and I wouldn't mind owning one. I would lease one though and right about the time the lease is up the warranty should be on the way out as well.

The depreciation on both are the same at this point but as both cars get older the CTS V will be worth much less.
Old 07-28-10, 12:14 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
To clarify I'm "Cole" listed on dragtimes and the the below run is the only one that drag radials were used in stock power form.

12.38@115

To the OP, I would go for the CTS-V. I think the car looks great and has very very impressive numbers!
James why didn't you decide on getting the CTS-V?
Old 07-28-10, 02:21 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

The V is an awesome car. If you like its styling then I'd choose it. Its performance is superior.

To me, the car is too big and I don't like the styling at all. Unfortunately, I can't see myself driving it. I think it is styled to be closer to the E and 5 IMO, which I won't even look at for another 10-20 years lol.
Old 07-28-10, 03:37 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I really appreciate the honesty of this group. You guys have been a lot of help.. Trying a friends trick, handed the sales manager a check for 39k, he said no. We will see if he calls. Looked inside a ISF and the size alone was enough to make me walk away. The Caddy is much wider and almost double the trunk. Did not drive the Isf but many say the ride is rough. The Caddy was almost as smooth as our LS Wish me end of month luck.
Old 07-28-10, 07:48 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
I really appreciate the honesty of this group. You guys have been a lot of help.. Trying a friends trick, handed the sales manager a check for 39k, he said no. We will see if he calls. Looked inside a ISF and the size alone was enough to make me walk away. The Caddy is much wider and almost double the trunk. Did not drive the Isf but many say the ride is rough. The Caddy was almost as smooth as our LS Wish me end of month luck.
See SIZE does matter guys....
I think you made the right choice, and for those critizing the LS motor for it's weakness on the bottem end there ate TONS of these cars running around with the pully mod and a tune (unlike our ISF's which can NOT be tuned by ANYONE!) And are running 600+hp without a problem. CTSv FTW!!
Old 07-29-10, 04:37 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
James why didn't you decide on getting the CTS-V?
The new CTS-V wasn't available at the time.
Old 07-29-10, 04:45 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

But you should remember that 600whp is around the tipping point for a stock LSA. I love the Cts-V but im not sure of its speed. The fastest one on dragtimes made 647whp and only trapped 129mph. Thats terrible considering how my car ran and i didnt even get to spray the entire run. Take the Cts-V because its sexy
Originally Posted by ming15237
See SIZE does matter guys....
I think you made the right choice, and for those critizing the LS motor for it's weakness on the bottem end there ate TONS of these cars running around with the pully mod and a tune (unlike our ISF's which can NOT be tuned by ANYONE!) And are running 600+hp without a problem. CTSv FTW!!

Quick Reply: CTS-V or ISF about to buy?