IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Before you buy this car....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 02:01 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or give the wife a performance driving class, one that features skid control and wet surfaces
Old 07-09-10, 02:18 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by someboy
2 cars for 1?? especially 1 expensive IS-F and a TSX for a cheap Acura TL??? and IS-F is way safter, better looking and faster than the acura TL... what is wrong with you ...
there's more involved in this decision than just speed/power and aesthetics - like the financial implications and the practicality aspect for the OP to keep his is-f w/ a company car and his wife's TSX.

also, how is the is-f safer than the TL? can you even compare the safety ratings of these two vehicles, considering they're both in different classes?

and while the TL is less expensive, it is by no means is it "cheap". inferior? possibly. but not "cheap".

it's not like the OP traded in his is-f on a whim because he liked the TL better; he had better reasons to do it. after all, not everyone is going to see this decision through fanboy glasses.
Old 07-09-10, 02:37 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by matadorBP2
my original plan was to sell the TSX, keep the ISF (wife could drive it)
-unfortunately couldn't sell it because i owed to much money (just bought it 5 months ago)
-plus selling the TSX and having wife drive ISF? i didn't like the idea, because of the power and RWD
second plan was to sell the ISF
-unfortunately couldnt sell it in time (no bites on it)
-plus didnt want to have the TSX as our only car (i dont care for the TSX)

3rd plan was to trade both in for something we can both enjoy somewhat, and get down to one payment, and not have a car we are paying for just sit in the driveway.

The point of the post was to inform anyone that may have seen or was interested in my old ISF of any details they may be interested in prior to buying it. so regardless what i drive now, or why i just wanted to inform any potential buyers
I understand the point of the thread but this is such an interesting turn of events, some of us can't help but try to understand your moves.

Why did you need to seel the TSX? That's where I'm losing it. My plan would be to keep the TSX for wifey, keep the ISF for weekend fun, drive the company car all week. Why sell the TSX?
Old 07-09-10, 09:28 PM
USBM2011
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ice350
I understand the point of the thread but this is such an interesting turn of events, some of us can't help but try to understand your moves.

Why did you need to seel the TSX? That's where I'm losing it. My plan would be to keep the TSX for wifey, keep the ISF for weekend fun, drive the company car all week. Why sell the TSX?
Thanks for everyones opinions, no the TL is not a bad car, yes it it not the best looking, lol, but it has everything i need for now, the interior is gorgeous, and has some really good features. plus 307 hp, and AWD isnt a slouch, its just NO ISF, its definitely slower, believe me, i wanted to keep my ISF, but the other reason i went with it was because i got 0.9% APR for 60 months, which is a good deal i guess ....

the whole point was to not have 3 cars (i physically dont have the room), paying for 2, while one of those is sitting 95% of the time. i even tried to have the company expense me out on my car, and have them keep the company car, but that was a big NO. haha ahhh well, anyway like i said the point was to inform anyone that maybe looking at my old car to buy in the WA area of any details, i didnt want to get in a debate about my decision, or how nice of a car the TL is.
Old 07-28-10, 03:41 PM
drmike
Driver School Candidate

Nice looking ride! I saw it pop up the other day and thought they were asking too much for an 08.
Old 07-28-10, 06:38 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
TL is not a bad car like most people make it out to be. It's just indisputably ugly.
LOL, +1 on this one.
Old 07-28-10, 06:57 PM
USBM2011
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drmike
Nice looking ride! I saw it pop up the other day and thought they were asking too much for an 08.

ya they are asking quite a bit for it. but being in bellevue they think they can ask the world for any car, because they are in bellevue, which may be true,

the way they got it was (i used to sell cars, and worked for bell. lexus, as well as a honda/acura dealership(2 diff stores)) and I contacted lexus of bell, knowing they pay a lot for trades, and got a "buy bid" from them, had the acura store call them and confirm my bid, and they paid me that amount for the trade. but i thought they paid too much for it, they paid the exact same as when i bought it for in january, with 10k less miles. so i figured that was a good trade value.

the new TL is not bad, its actually a nice driving car (which i agree the front is not great looking) but the wife liked it, and it was something I could live with, since im rarely driving it. I really like the interior and all the gadgets, i wish I could actually blend the two (TL AWD/ISF ) cars together to make the perfect car, lol.
Old 07-28-10, 07:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

...i wish I could actually blend the two (TL AWD/ISF ) cars together to make the perfect car, lol.
Sounds a lot like girlfriends...
Old 07-29-10, 03:34 PM
papa
Driver School Candidate

I wish I would have seen it when you posted it, would've saved us both some money. I bought a used red 2008 IS-F from Lexus of Bellevue this week ... veyr likely yours

The carfax looked good and I got them to replace the tires with OEM, touch up the minor nicks, and add the 3M protection. Love the car so far.

Glad to hear you replaced it for a good reason ... was wondering why it was owned for 6 months only. I went the other direction from you ... I had 2 family cars (Sequoia and ES350) and decided that with 4 kids I was not going to get them all in any sedan so why not get a sporty car to go along with our Sequioa. I am sure I will let it sit in the garage when it snows/ices and work from home. But for my everyday car, its pretty awesome.

I traded in my ES350 and got them down to about a realistic 45k for the car. They listed at 50k.

Curious to hear how you drove it, experiences you had, etc.

hey everyone, sad day yesterday, had to trade in my ISF, because i got a new job that came with a company car, so traded it and my wifes 2010 TSX in for a AWD ACURA TL , that she and i could both use while i wasnt using the company car, we are going to start a family and would rather her not be driving a 400+ hp RWD car up here in the rain or snow, and couldnt justify keeping it, and tried to sell it to just get down to one car, so the only thing i could do was trade both in for a car we both can use. anyway just letting anyone know that is interested or that may have already seen it....

its a 2008 red ISF located in WA, listed on craigslist, it was traded in at an acura store, and is there right now for a short period of time, they have it priced at 45000.00, and it will be wholesaled to lexus of bellevue (where it will be priced a lot more im sure) most likely next week unless they sell it first, but i dont think they will sell it first because I had it priced at 43000.00 and never got a hit on it. but who knows.

anyway if your interested in it, before you buy it please contact me. would rather someone on here buy it and give it a good home. and i can give you the low down on it, as far as what they paid for it, and full details about condition ect.

thanks!

PS... its a really sore subject, i hate the TL, and would have never have done this if i didnt have to lol, i wanted an ISF ever since i saw the spy photos a long time ago, finally got one, and only had it for 6 months, so im pretty bummed out right now. oh well just a car right? hopefully ill be ready for a new one when they to a refresh on it in the next year or two.
Old 07-30-10, 01:45 PM
drmike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by papa
I wish I would have seen it when you posted it, would've saved us both some money. I bought a used red 2008 IS-F from Lexus of Bellevue this week ... veyr likely yours

The carfax looked good and I got them to replace the tires with OEM, touch up the minor nicks, and add the 3M protection. Love the car so far.

Glad to hear you replaced it for a good reason ... was wondering why it was owned for 6 months only. I went the other direction from you ... I had 2 family cars (Sequoia and ES350) and decided that with 4 kids I was not going to get them all in any sedan so why not get a sporty car to go along with our Sequioa. I am sure I will let it sit in the garage when it snows/ices and work from home. But for my everyday car, its pretty awesome.

I traded in my ES350 and got them down to about a realistic 45k for the car. They listed at 50k.

Curious to hear how you drove it, experiences you had, etc.
nice! what city are you in? I will be picking one up soon, black or blue. We could put together some local meets if there aren't any already I live a little north of Bothell.
Old 07-30-10, 02:22 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Why didnt you get the rl?