Borla Cat-Back Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-10, 03:56 AM
eFFer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla Cat-Back Exhaust System

Yes, I'm new here!
I recently went the "cheap" route and purchased a Borla cat-back exhaust system, and found the "fit and finish" completely sucks after my experience of installing this system on my F!
After dropping the OEM system(problems encountered!...but unrelated), installing the x-pipe section was less than satisfying! For starters, the x-pipe section did not align properly to the OEM exhaust manifolds. The pipes had to be manually bent by getting on the ground, using hands and feet to muscle the two sections of pipe(being careful not to overbend the pipe!) to align with the manifold so I could bolt them into place.
Once the x-pipe section was in place, the front muffler assembly was next which wasn't too much of a problem to clamp into place until I reached the separate, right and left rear intermediate pipe sections. When fitting the right and left rear intermediate pipes into place, I found that no matter what angle they were mounted, these two pipes would touch(even after loose fitting the two rear mufflers into place!)!! Over time, chaffing of these two pipes may eventually grind a hole in the pipes, let alone the CONSTANT, ANNOYING sound of the pipes clanging and chattering over every tiny pothole on the ground!
I think the sound of the Borla system, over the oem exhaust system, is music to the ears, but is it worth the headache and thought of losing reliability and comfort of driving an F!? I am now left with an incessant, annoying chattering of the less than adequate fit and finish of the pipes contacting each other through every little bump in the road! My next step is wrapping the entire exhaust(especially the area of contact)with thermo wrap.
Any positive feedback or info on this issue would be greatly appreciated!!
Sorry, I was too pissed during the install to take any pics!!
Old 07-04-10, 04:59 AM
Zacols
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately for you.
I have bought a TOM'S Titanium exhaust and i enjoy the song.
Lot of people have bought the JoeZ exhaust and they enjoy it.
About the Borla system, that is no the first time I heard some people desapointed by this one.
Old 07-04-10, 06:23 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recall hearing similar complaints about Borla's ISx50 cat-back exhausts also.
Old 07-04-10, 06:59 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Take it off, send it back, and get the JoeZ system. It fits perfectly.
You'll be so much happier.
C.
Old 07-04-10, 09:03 AM
j8123
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFer
Take it off, send it back, and get the JoeZ system. It fits perfectly.
You'll be so much happier.
C.
x2... Been in your situation before with other products in the past. Return it.
Old 07-04-10, 01:06 PM
eFFer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the all the input everyone! Unfortunately, I live in Hawaii so, shipping things back to the mainland isn't so simple. I don't want to pay the $143 shipping cost to send it back. What I should have done was research and ask you guys first!...such an expensive, disappointing mistake! What I would like to do now is make do with what I already have, and make it at least decent....and get rid of that damn noise! Any suggestions?
Old 07-04-10, 01:44 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Borla's are notorious for poor fitment, but you already know that My only suggestions would be to apply heat on the ill fitting pipes and (with heat resistant gloves) try to make the errant pieces fit while moving them away from any parts of the body or frame. I would throw away all of Borla's clamps, and weld all your pipes together. But, that's just me.

Lou
Old 07-04-10, 03:45 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

I've never experienced Borla having poor fitment, and have ran them on just about every car I've owned, whether exotic, or beater... Something was wrong with your system. (Or the installer??)

I just installed the Borla System on my F last night, with a buddy in the garage, very straight forward, and everything aligned perfectly. You just have to remember to not tighten up anything while you do final fitment.

I agree, the sound is AWESOME! Everyone that has heard the car today, has been very impressed! Power is noticeably stronger throughout the entire RPM band!

I'm sure the JoeZ system is great too... but I've heard the JoeZ cars... and I don't want to 'always' hear my car if you know what I mean!

Congrats on the exhaust... but take it back to whoever installed it... and get it adjusted properly... and you'll just be enjoying the increase in power, on gorgeous sound!

Peace,
Dave
Old 07-04-10, 04:31 PM
eFFer
Driver School Candidate

I installed it along with three friends who do body and paint AND and an auto mechanic with experience installing bolt-on type exhaust systems! We used a hydraulic lift, using all Snap-on tools(not that it makes any difference).

No matter how you look at it, the x-pipe section simply DID NOT fit perfectly to the manifold without tweaking it a bit! We all knew not to tighten any of the fittings until all the sections were in place for last minute adjustments. Also, no matter how you adjusted or angled the left rear and right rear intermediate pipes, they DID NOT fit without the two touching and rubbing! I think I must've got a "lemon" kit from Borla if you've(SCCAForums) never had any problems with their systems! I think I actually may have to pay a professional installer to maybe do some rebending of the pipes to make them fit.

Not too sure(lowrideraz) about reheating the pipes to make them malleable. I've heard from someone that it may weaken the pipes over time? I don't know. But I was thinking of having the sections welded together. That would get rid of the crappy clamps Borla supplies with the kit.

I do enjoy the sound of the Borla!...it's not as loud as the other systems on the market. In fact, the Borla was slightly too loud for my taste. And I know over time, it'll only get louder!

Thanks guys for your input!
Old 07-04-10, 05:16 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

If it were me and I had to keep the system, I'd find a shop that deals with exhausts (lots of experience) and have them make some adjustments by either heating or cutting and welding where necessary. Their experience would be priceless.
Might cost another 100 but would be $$ well spent.

G/L
C.
Old 07-04-10, 05:34 PM
SCCAForums
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFer
If it were me and I had to keep the system, I'd find a shop that deals with exhausts (lots of experience) and have them make some adjustments by either heating or cutting and welding where necessary. Their experience would be priceless.
Might cost another 100 but would be $$ well spent.

G/L
C.
I'm with this guy! And, yes... nothing wrong with 'welding' the system... and getting rid of the clamps entirely. For what it would cost you to ship back... use that money to have a real exhaust shop do some nice finishing touches, that way you can enjoy her 'rattle/clank' free... for years to come!

Sorry you got a bum one... should be fixable, I've bought other systems that required the 'adjustments' your mentioning... and a pull, and a tweak here and there... and they lined up well. So just take it to a shop... and get the final tweaking done!

Congrats!

Dave
Old 07-04-10, 06:06 PM
eFFer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! Problem solved I guess. Think I'll be making that appointment right after this 4th of July weekend is over!
Old 07-04-10, 07:11 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Zacols
Unfortunately for you.
I have bought a TOM'S Titanium exhaust and i enjoy the song.
Lot of people have bought the JoeZ exhaust and they enjoy it.
About the Borla system, that is no the first time I heard some people desapointed by this one.
Any pics of the exhaust, uninstalled and installed, on your car? How is it in everyday driving situations and how would you compare it to the OEM exhaust in terms of sound quality and decibels?

Sorry for all the questions. I just now beginning my research on various, aftermarket exhausts for the IS-F. TIA.
Old 07-04-10, 08:44 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had mine for over a year now...
i didnt have that much trouble to install..
it wasnt perfect but it was close enough for me to install it..
i think you might just have a bad batch...
Old 07-05-10, 02:08 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had no problems with mine as well...
it was more of a jigsaw puzzle than anything but we got it to work very well...

if u don't mind me asking, where did you guys install it at???

Quick Reply: Borla Cat-Back Exhaust System