IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Reconsidering the Factory Alignment

Old 11-13-14, 07:53 PM
RMA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Is the tech an old guy who has been doing alignments for years or is he working with green/red indications? I've only met a couple of young guys who I would trust to get it right. Most of the guys I know who are good at this do a lot if it with basic tools.
Does your car steer ever so slightly to the right of the road while driving say 50 MPH ?
Old 11-14-14, 11:30 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by RMA
Does your car steer ever so slightly to the right of the road while driving say 50 MPH ?
No, it does not.
Old 11-18-14, 06:39 PM
RMA
Driver

My car feels even better now, I had my tech install the Figs LCA bushings & he realigned the car to match your Gran Turismo allignment specs. I plan to meet w a Lexus tech buddy of mine & he will finish off the car with the Techstream tomrw afternoon.
Old 01-10-15, 05:12 AM
ChickenIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RMA
My car feels even better now, I had my tech install the Figs LCA bushings & he realigned the car to match your Gran Turismo allignment specs. I plan to meet w a Lexus tech buddy of mine & he will finish off the car with the Techstream tomrw afternoon.
Do you have any updates?
Old 01-10-15, 07:39 PM
RMA
Driver

Originally Posted by ChickenIS
Do you have any updates?
Feels just about right & my Lexus tech buddy met me outside of his dealership after hours just about with his fancy laptop looking computer to down load the streamtech. After driving it many weeks later it appears to still pull to the right a bit but nothing extreme. I need to get an oil change in the next 1k miles so I will have a tech monitor the tire wear by then.
Old 06-26-15, 07:37 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I am not sure if it is all in my head, but after adding 15mm spacers, switching to new Continental DW tires in 235/35 - 275/30 and getting an alignment to zero toe up front and .08 in the back, the car feels significantly less stable at highway speeds. Its as if it is harder to keep it straight on high speed runs.

Alignment shop is a reputable place that is very active in the road course scene. So I am confident they know what they are doing I have taken my other cars to them and the alignment specs sheet shows exactly what I asked for. So I am ruling out the alignment for now.

Can the spacers and/or tires cause such an uneasy feeling at speed? Car handles great on long sweepers and tight corners- it just seems less stable above 50-60mph. I am constantly making small steering adjustments (in both directions) to keep it straight. Almost seems worse under hard acceleration as if it is swaying..

I initially thought the tires need to be broken in - but its been a few hundred miles now.
Old 06-26-15, 08:38 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
I am not sure if it is all in my head, but after adding 15mm spacers, switching to new Continental DW tires in 235/35 - 275/30 and getting an alignment to zero toe up front and .08 in the back, the car feels significantly less stable at highway speeds. Its as if it is harder to keep it straight on high speed runs.

Alignment shop is a reputable place that is very active in the road course scene. So I am confident they know what they are doing I have taken my other cars to them and the alignment specs sheet shows exactly what I asked for. So I am ruling out the alignment for now.

Can the spacers and/or tires cause such an uneasy feeling at speed? Car handles great on long sweepers and tight corners- it just seems less stable above 50-60mph. I am constantly making small steering adjustments (in both directions) to keep it straight. Almost seems worse under hard acceleration as if it is swaying..

I initially thought the tires need to be broken in - but its been a few hundred miles now.
usually its tires/toe for stability.
Old 06-26-15, 09:52 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Same exact problem here, don't have spacer but did put same tire/size as you and alignment, now the car feels unstable beyond 70 mph, I would say steering is too direct, won't go over 80mph till I find the problem, my guess is alignment, let me know if.you find the problem, tanx
Old 06-27-15, 06:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Adding 15mm spacers to the OEM wheels? You changed scrub radius pretty significantly. Spacers should only be used to correct offset, not to make a fashion statement if you want mechanical performance to be stable.

I run 255s in front now and have had zero issues, but I am using the 2012 wheels, so the offsets are correct for the suspension geometry. Running different diameter tires than stock can also impact scrub radius, so I chose tires very close to the OEM spec diameter.

Changing the geometry without fully understanding the change will result in potentially unstable conditions. The factory engineers spend a lot of time figuring out camber curves, roll centers, instant centers, roll couples, roll axis, and a whole host of other parameters affecting the feel of the car and always assume you won't change these things without a full understanding of what you are doing.

Fashionable offsets and "wheel gaps" will not result in good mechanical performance.
Old 06-29-15, 03:05 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

I felt the same way with my last set of conti DW. I HATE those tires. Reputable shop here said it should go away as the tires wear in. Even 5k+ miles into the set the rears are still squirmy. Never had that trouble with my Michelin PSS. I think they just have a weak sidewall/tread stiffness.
Old 06-29-15, 03:27 PM
Vervish
Racer

Thanks for this.

Other than the odd feeling at speed, I love the tires so far. They handle great and ride very well. A friend of mine drove the car and he did not feel the uneasiness I am noticing at speed.

I think the zero toe setting up front may be a contributing factor. I am going to get another alignment back to factory specs.
Old 06-29-15, 09:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Reconsidering the Factory Alignment

Lexus set the alignment for performance. People shouldn't expect the car to feel the same when you start messing with alignment specs . You guys are driving a performance car and trying to eek out more tire life by messing with something as critical as alignment . I mentioned the specs to my tech at my last service and he said it would be to the detriment of the handling feel . Members kind of dismissed the info when I brought it up last time but from the similar complaints from the members with and without the spacers is feeling the same thing it seems like it could the specs and not the spacers .

Lobux , all due respect , but you are always mentioning the virtues of factory design and how sensitive and linked it all is but yet you are tweaking something as critical as alignment , knowing that it effects turn in . I am surprised to see this based on your comments on many other topics . You haven't done a track day in a while so I would ask , would you run these specs for a track day ? Thanks

I have gone through 2 sets os tires in 16k miles . Lol I am amazed people are trying to get 25k out of a set of tires and complaining about wear
Old 06-29-15, 10:35 PM
JamesISF
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Adding 15mm spacers to the OEM wheels? You changed scrub radius pretty significantly. Spacers should only be used to correct offset, not to make a fashion statement if you want mechanical performance to be stable.

I run 255s in front now and have had zero issues, but I am using the 2012 wheels, so the offsets are correct for the suspension geometry. Running different diameter tires than stock can also impact scrub radius, so I chose tires very close to the OEM spec diameter.

Changing the geometry without fully understanding the change will result in potentially unstable conditions. The factory engineers spend a lot of time figuring out camber curves, roll centers, instant centers, roll couples, roll axis, and a whole host of other parameters affecting the feel of the car and always assume you won't change these things without a full understanding of what you are doing.

Fashionable offsets and "wheel gaps" will not result in good mechanical performance.
Lobuxracer, What is your wheels and tires spec? and is it on stock suspension? Thanks
Old 06-30-15, 08:08 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Lexus set the alignment for performance. People shouldn't expect the car to feel the same when you start messing with alignment specs . You guys are driving a performance car and trying to eek out more tire life by messing with something as critical as alignment . I mentioned the specs to my tech at my last service and he said it would be to the detriment of the handling feel . Members kind of dismissed the info when I brought it up last time but from the similar complaints from the members with and without the spacers is feeling the same thing it seems like it could the specs and not the spacers .

Lobux , all due respect , but you are always mentioning the virtues of factory design and how sensitive and linked it all is but yet you are tweaking something as critical as alignment , knowing that it effects turn in . I am surprised to see this based on your comments on many other topics . You haven't done a track day in a while so I would ask , would you run these specs for a track day ? Thanks

I have gone through 2 sets os tires in 16k miles . Lol I am amazed people are trying to get 25k out of a set of tires and complaining about wear
It's a compromise and I'm sure everyone realize this. I don't think trying to extend the life on a set of $1200 tires is unreasonable, especially if you aren't taking the car to the track regularly. Also, zero toe is within spec. Spacers or even possibility the Contis are probably the issue Vervish is describing. I recently had mine done after installing the FIGS LCA bushings and just yesterday drove 150 miles averaging 80-90 mph on some PSS with around 15k on them. The car felt fine.
Old 06-30-15, 08:26 AM
Vervish
Racer

I have another alignment scheduled for Friday - i will report back.

I researched the tires and the spacers extensively before buying them. Recognizing the change of suspension geometry with spacers (which I hoped I would not notice unless I track the car), I did not stumble upon anyone with this specific issue before.

BTW, the issue is pretty subtle, but I noticed it right away. It may be my sensitivity to the "feel". I think another way to describe the sensation is as if I am getting hit by a strong crosswind at speed sometimes.

Last edited by Vervish; 06-30-15 at 08:31 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reconsidering the Factory Alignment