IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Reconsidering the Factory Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 10:19 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'd bet money your roll centers are below ground level and your roll couple is massive compared to stock.
what is roll couple? i did notice when i went into a curvy road going 70mph it felt a little bumpy...
Old 01-20-11, 01:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Roll couple is the distance between the roll center and the center of gravity. The greater this distance, the more spring you need to counter the roll (or the more you need stiffer anti-roll bars).

As much as I find discussing suspension theory and practice, I'd rather keep this thread focused on results from setting up the factory suspension at standard ride heights. Much of what we learn from this will help with lowered ride height, but as you can see from your numbers, there are limits to how low you can go without suffering unusual tire wear issues.

I'll be posting some new pics later today. I've got close to 15k on my front tires now and it's time for a photo update.
Old 02-03-11, 09:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Default 14,199 miles Photo Update!

So, here's what I'm seeing at 14,199 miles from installing the new tires. Looks like zero toe is the best for long tire life. As I recall, I'm at 1/16" toe out. I'm still seeing more inside wear than outside wear. These tires have zero track miles, so there's no confusion about how they're wearing.

Right Tire

Right Tire

Right Tire

Right Tire

Right Tire

Left Tire

Left Tire

Left Tire

Left Tire

Left Tire

Left Tire

Left Tire

Old 02-04-11, 05:15 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

great thanks lobux
its appreciated
Old 02-05-11, 01:14 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Had this done, along with some other suspension work, this past week. Will report back on tire wear over time. It looks to me that, if your car is lowered, you might very slightly miss some of the values contained in Lance's pdf, at least I did up front. Lance, any input here? In the rear, I have the FIGS Engineering MEGA rear control arms and adjustable toe links. As a result, hitting the desired specifications in the rear is a piece of cake.
Old 02-06-11, 08:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The biggest concern is toe. If your camber is less than -2.5, you likely not have any wear issues if the toe is correct. I'll be watching the current set to be sure they aren't corded any time soon. Also, since I know how much adjustment I get from the rack ends on a "per turn" basis, I can make small adjustments if I really want to change up what is happening.
Old 02-06-11, 09:30 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Camber is -1.54, LF, and -1.57, RF. Toe is 0.03-inches on both LF and RF. This is on Swift Sport Lowering Springs with a one-inch drop in front and 0.6-inch drop in the rear.
Old 02-08-11, 02:55 AM
m3twof
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow holy cow! thats bold! Lol! I had mine changed 18,000 due to inner wear..
Old 02-08-11, 04:45 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow I need to get an alignment before I get my next set of tires now. I only have 12k miles on my tires since they had just put new tires on when I got my F from Lexus Certified. Hoping I will at least be able to make it another 5k but they already look like yours or worse Lobux.
Old 02-09-11, 05:49 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So, here's what I'm seeing at 14,199 miles from installing the new tires. Looks like zero toe is the best for long tire life. As I recall, I'm at 1/16" toe out. I'm still seeing more inside wear than outside wear. These tires have zero track miles, so there's no confusion about how they're wearing.
Well guess we will find out whether zero toe works out cause I just dropped my car off at Lexus and after looking at the tires last night I am having them do an alignment along with the oil change now. Told them I want the front set at zero toe. We will see if they actually do it when I pickup the car and get the alignment sheet.

Here are what my tires look like after just under 12k miles.

Drivers Front

Passenger Front

The tires are Continental ContiSportContacts. The passenger front tire seems to be wearing much worse than the drivers side although both seem to be riding on only the inner 1.5 - 2in of tire and the rest seems to be like new almost. Yes I know I should have taken pictures with a penny to get a better gauge on the depth but there isn't even really a grove to put a penny in on the inside edge of the tires. I wish I could switch the left and right tires side to side but the tires specify which edge goes on the inside. Hopefully I can at least get 3-4k more miles out of them though.
Old 02-14-11, 05:19 PM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why does Lexus set the alignment this way? Does it give us better performance at high speeds?
Old 02-14-11, 06:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No. The car turns in better with toe out. Autocrossers often run a LOT of toe out to get the car to turn quickly.
Old 02-15-11, 06:33 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool, I've always wondered that. My first car was an '88 Chrysler Conquest and it did the same thing. I never did understand why though.
Old 03-08-11, 05:51 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

O.K., this may sound like a crazy question (and Lance I appreciate the info you gave me via PMs prior to this) but, is there an adjustment on the F seperate from Toe for Caster/Camber? The reason I am asking is that I just had the KWs installed on my car and the shop that the alignment was farmed out to reported back that only the Toe was adjustable on the car. I included Lance's (thanks Lance) spec sheet from this thread for alignment purposes after the coils were installed. I did ask for the car to be lowered 1" from stk in the front and 0.6" from stk in the rear.

I really don't think the alignment shop is just clueless as the same two places handled the KW install on my Supra last week and the Supra was aligned according to provided specs with no issues.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get this wrapped up tomorrow.

Westley
Old 03-08-11, 07:31 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by weswork
O.K., this may sound like a crazy question (and Lance I appreciate the info you gave me via PMs prior to this) but, is there an adjustment on the F seperate from Toe for Caster/Camber? The reason I am asking is that I just had the KWs installed on my car and the shop that the alignment was farmed out to reported back that only the Toe was adjustable on the car. I included Lance's (thanks Lance) spec sheet from this thread for alignment purposes after the coils were installed. I did ask for the car to be lowered 1" from stk in the front and 0.6" from stk in the rear.

I really don't think the alignment shop is just clueless as the same two places handled the KW install on my Supra last week and the Supra was aligned according to provided specs with no issues.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get this wrapped up tomorrow.

Westley
There is only toe adjustment on both teh front and rear from the factory. The front also has 3 part numbers for caster adjustment.

If you want adjustability you will need a set of my control arms and toe links, upper arms and TRAC links in the works as well. For the Front I am making a new upper control arm with both caster and camber adjustments.

http://www.figsengineering.com/suspension.htm#arms

Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Last edited by FIGS; 03-08-11 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Reconsidering the Factory Alignment