IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The process of perfection - your input desired

Old 06-21-10, 06:09 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up The process of perfection - your input desired

I have seen a lot of different setups out there on the ISF. Many people seem to prefer upsizing to 20 inch wheels. I have thought quite a bit about how I will eventually modify the ISF, and my desires center more around function than form.

Right now I can’t justify spending any more money on it since I am in the middle of having a house built, and my wife is pregnant with our first child. When all is said and done, I will be able to look at how much money I have left over and choose the next mods accordingly.

Obviously, new products will likely come out between now and when I actually pony up the cash to turn my ISF into a cruise missile. I will list my dream mods in the order they would come, were I to purchase them right now. Let me know what you think.

Current:
- JoeZ intake pipe
- Tom’s drop-in air filter

Future:
- JoeZ PTS exhaust
- Sikky headers
- ISS Forged RX-10 or HRE C21 wheels (gunmetal)…or lightest forged wheel available within reason
- 18x9 front with 255/40ZR18 tires
- 18x10.5 rear with 295/35ZR18 tires
- KWV3 coilovers
- Have JE Import Performance port the intake manifold, as they are only a few miles away
- VPH750 lithium phosphate battery or relocate battery to trunk
- Have a custom carbon fiber roof made that ditches the sunroof
- Tom’s body kit or something similar to help stability at speed

Future/after warranty:
- Forced induction or increased displacement
Old 06-21-10, 08:38 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

4 words--High Performance Driving School. No amount of force induction will finish the track faster and you get to keep it forever.

Originally Posted by Gymkata
I have seen a lot of different setups out there on the ISF. Many people seem to prefer upsizing to 20 inch wheels. I have thought quite a bit about how I will eventually modify the ISF, and my desires center more around function than form.
Old 06-21-10, 08:43 PM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mind telling me where you go the Tom's drop in filter?
Old 06-21-10, 09:06 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

first off, congrats on the new house and new addition to the family! the potential mods you have listed should make driving the F an even more intense experience. just the joe z exhaust gives it that great sound! i definitely considered coilovers as one of my first mods simply because i wanted something a little lower and provided great feedback with less jabs at the kidneys simultaneously. best of luck!
Old 06-21-10, 10:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
4 words--High Performance Driving School. No amount of force induction will finish the track faster and you get to keep it forever.
Truer words have not been spoken. After three track weekends in the F I've learned this car is incredibly capable right off the showroom floor, and you'll need to be a very skilled driver to extract all the performance from the car while stock.

Adding power will only get you straight line performance. There's no power shortage from the factory once you get out on a road course.
Old 06-22-10, 05:10 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Yes, we all can use some good instruction in this regard. I won't even pretend that I am good enough to extract all the performance on the track that our cars have stock.
I have been to one driving school, which was very helpful. We were only driving police cars though. It was a very good experience for feeling out traction limits, practicing threshold braking, and learning how to pick a line through corners and such, but those cars were not very fast. The ISF is in a different ball park.
We did have a lot of fun learning how to properly pit each other as we drove around the track (obviously not at speed though).

Last edited by Gymkata; 09-28-14 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 06:12 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Truer words have not been spoken. After three track weekends in the F I've learned this car is incredibly capable right off the showroom floor, and you'll need to be a very skilled driver to extract all the performance from the car while stock.

Adding power will only get you straight line performance. There's no power shortage from the factory once you get out on a road course.
Agree with this statement, have had mine to 6 track days, and damn the ps2's are getting expensive to replace...lol.. Power wise there is VERY little that will walk this car on the straights when the proper line through a given corner has been achieved! The biggest mistake I see newbies make on the track is that they turn in too soon! They miss the apex, and now spend the rest of the corner fighting the car, when done properly it is a thing of beauty and a VERY smooth process. Spend your time and money on a good instructor at your local track and have fun! The next mod for me is a set of dedicated track wheels and tires. Following that, JoeZ, or iss forged exhaust, (I just like the way they sound)

Last edited by ming15237; 06-22-10 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 08:13 AM
trackdood
Pole Position

The car stock is amazing... Screw more power show me how to loss 500 lbs on the car...
Old 06-22-10, 08:19 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymkata

Right now I can’t justify spending any more money on it since I am in the middle of having a house built, and my wife is pregnant with our first child. When all is said and done, I will be able to look at how much money I have left over and choose the next mods accordingly.

Obviously, new products will likely come out between now and when I actually pony up the cash to turn my ISF into a cruise missile. I will list my dream mods in the order they would come, were I to purchase them right now. Let me know what you think.

Current:
- JoeZ intake pipe
- Tom’s drop-in air filter

Future:
- JoeZ PTS exhaust
- Sikky headers
- ISS Forged RX-10 or HRE C21 wheels (gunmetal)…or lightest forged wheel available within reason
- 18x9 front with 255/40ZR18 tires
- 18x10.5 rear with 295/35ZR18 tires
- KWV3 coilovers
- Have JE Import Performance port the intake manifold, as they are only a few miles away
- VPH750 lithium phosphate battery or relocate battery to trunk
- Have a custom carbon fiber roof made that ditches the sunroof
- Tom’s body kit or something similar to help stability at speed

Future/after warranty:
- Forced induction or increased displacement

Gymkata will the VPH750 lithium phosphate battery create any issues since the F is a V8?
Old 06-22-10, 03:03 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

It shouldn't...that is the battery Voltfreaks suggested for our car when they offered a reduced price to me in exchange for providing the Lexusf.com forum with a review of their product. I didn't buy it because I couldn't justify the price at that time, even with a heafty discount. It would be great to loose 40+ lbs off the front of the car though. From what I have heard, the battery is just as strong as the stock one, and should last twice as long, but only weighs about 6 lbs or so.
Old 06-22-10, 03:53 PM
hydralisk
Driver

I have never seen an IS-F with 18s. Got a pic?
Old 06-22-10, 03:57 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

I only have the stock 19s...I am planning on getting 18s some time in the future. They are lighter, the tires are cheaper, there are more tire sizes available, and the rear tires weigh less than those for 19s for some reason.