IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

sport mode on with paddles

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-10, 12:19 AM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sport mode on with paddles

I a bit confused cause i dont remember the f being so rough at shifting. I put her into sport mode and did the paddles. I didnt go no where near redline prob about 4,000-5,500 rpm when i made shifts, but everytime i went for a upshift the car would shift violently. It jumps forward everytime i shift, there is no such thing as a smooth shift. is this with everyones f? cause i drive the car 90% time in normal with no paddles. And it shifts smooth, but when i have it in sport with paddles it is so violent.
Old 06-17-10, 12:23 AM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh also i noticed when in sport mode without paddles, and at a stop. When your making a right or left turn and you give it a bit if gas while making the turn, my car will not upshift! it will just rev all the way up to redline!!!!! WTF! i let off the gas and get back on it soft ly to let it know i want to upshift but it just keeps the gear and wont shift. It is ridiculous trying to make a simple turn and looking like an *** making a 30 mph turn in 1st gear.
Old 06-17-10, 07:15 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're probably shifting late for the amount of gas you're giving it.
The great thing about computers is that they'll determine the ideal shift point for the amount of acceleration input at the gas pedal.
If you practice a little with the shift points and don't shift early, you could probably shift a lot smoother.
If not let the computer do it and leave it in 'D'.

Make sure you're not in manual mode on those corners and it should upshift.

C.
Old 06-17-10, 07:24 AM
sweetbird
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your doing it wrong! paddle mode is not ment to be drivin like an old lady! its made to go through the gears fast, if you want to drive like your mom put it back in drive! lol
Old 06-17-10, 07:26 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Sport mode changes the shift points to a more aggressive/higher RPM. If you are in SM and begin to accelerate fairly hard, and then back off the computer seems to get confused, when that happens I just use the paddles to upshift to the desired gear.

I am personally very happy with this trans, and have taken the car to the track, and a lot of spirited driving on mountain roads. Both upshift and down shift are rapid and firm just like I like it in the manual + sport mode.
Old 06-17-10, 07:38 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i find it that its a bit jerky shifting at certain rpm
just take her to just before the beep if going fast and it should be smoother
i usually shift under 4000 if driving normal

watch how the car shifts in d when u give it a bit or a lot of gas
ull find ur sweet spot
Old 06-17-10, 11:56 AM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

keep in mind that in sport mode and manual shifting engaged, from gears 2-8 the torque converter is locked and engine output is direct to the wheels because it bypasses the torque converter. that is why the shifts are hard and firm when in this combination. if you're driving manual, but in normal mode, the torque converter is engaged in all gears and the shifting is smooth because the torque converter is utilized.
Old 06-17-10, 02:19 PM
eXstasy
Rookie

What you are describing is a welcome feature of this paddle shifted automatic transmission... not a drawback

http://www.lexus.com/models/ISF/feat...sion_Story.pdf

EDIT: It does this intentionally by design. You are feeling the effects of shifting with the torque converter locked up.
Old 06-17-10, 07:47 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lx470man
oh also i noticed when in sport mode without paddles, and at a stop. When your making a right or left turn and you give it a bit if gas while making the turn, my car will not upshift! it will just rev all the way up to redline!!!!! WTF! i let off the gas and get back on it soft ly to let it know i want to upshift but it just keeps the gear and wont shift. It is ridiculous trying to make a simple turn and looking like an *** making a 30 mph turn in 1st gear.
The reason it wont shift in sport mode is because the computer is assuming that since you have sport mode engaged you want to drive aggressively, like at the track for example. It has a yaw sensor and will hold the gear on a turn so when you come out of the turn you can hit the throttle and accelerate faster than if it were to automatically upshift putting you in the wrong gear for strong acceleration. Also it helps keep the vehicle balanced so your not thrown out of control by a mid-corner shift. If you don't want it to do that turn off sport mode.

Last edited by infinus; 06-17-10 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 02:01 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Just curious....I don't own an F, but in Sport mode does it shift so aggressive that it chrips the tires between gears like SMG's in BMW's M5 and M3?
Old 06-29-10, 02:19 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

I can spin them easily to 3rd gear......
Old 06-30-10, 04:11 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CometVR4
Just curious....I don't own an F, but in Sport mode does it shift so aggressive that it chrips the tires between gears like SMG's in BMW's M5 and M3?
Yup! Nail it right and you can even spin first through third on dry pavement in mid summer. Pretty awesome tranny if you ask me.
Old 06-30-10, 06:52 AM
Zacols
Driver School Candidate

Drive with the paddles on sport mode means drive aggressively. If you dislike just put on D.
Old 06-30-10, 08:34 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine shifts hard but will not chirp the tires.
Old 07-02-10, 10:39 AM
MR2Racer28
Driver School Candidate

mine shifts hard but doesnt chirp the tires either.

Quick Reply: sport mode on with paddles