IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Show me Baby Seats in the IS-F!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 05:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrd916
I just bought a Graco rear facing infant seat, had Babies R Us test fit it before I bought it and it fits but only when passenger seat is almost fully moved up. Car will def not fit a passenger in the front seat. If it bothers me a lot then I will buy a cheap daily driver like a Civic to use when taking baby places and skip trying to fit seat in the F.
This is why I recommend the Cybex Aton 2. It's small enough to have someone of normal adult female size in the passenger's seat with room to spare. I rode 4 hours in the passenger's seat with the Cybex in the back when we went to Florida, and I'm 6 2". Not at all uncomfortable for me, but I normally sit very close.
Old 06-26-14, 11:32 AM
elowderm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have young twin infants and they have rear facing seats. After a test fitting at babiesRus I found that the seats with a base gave me a bit more room. I am 6'3" so every little bit helps. I even attempted to remove the cushion portion of my rear seats and found that the lower position made it worse. I love the F so it's worth the wait until they are in forward facing seats. I'm am sitting rather close but it's for "short" trips. I find it's easier to slouch in my seat to fit better, although if my airbag went of I may blow up. But my kids will be safe��.
Old 07-02-14, 03:26 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

I too had a Graco but something to consider is using one of those pool noodles (you know the long floating devices kids either try to ride or blow water through) and cut it down to size and place under the rear of the seat. This will help compensate for the sloped angle of the bucket seats.
Old 07-02-14, 05:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

For the Recaro I got a pool noodle and still had to wrap it with a towel to get the base level. The buckets in the back are deep.
Old 07-21-15, 05:29 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Show me Baby Seats in the IS-F!!!

Sorry for the thread revival, but wife and I are expecting twins in October. We are going to get the cybex aton / aton 2 and a couple extra bases. Any suggestions from those of you that used these?
Old 07-21-15, 07:23 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Clek is way too heavy and now that DOT is putting weight limits on LATCH, your child will be too heavy for the Clek long before you're finished with car seats.

I opted for the Cybex Aton 2 when he was an infant. The Aton 2 is for babies 4 lbs. to 35 lbs. and up to 30" tall. Unfortunately, he was too tall at 6 months, but most people won't have that problem. The Aton is also the shortest front to back so it fits and leaves a lot of room for adult sitting in front. If you sit like I do with your knees almost on the dash (racecar driver style), you'll never know it's there. Best of all, it's one of the lightest seats available. Some of them are horribly heavy.

I got the Recaro for him once he was too big for the Cybex. I have to agree, ingress and egress are no picnic. But again, if you want to use the LATCH system, it is one of the lighter models and offers pretty impressive side impact protection. I'll be happier when he's big enough to face forward.

I got Cybex Aton 2 Infant Car Seat right now. What Recaro is that and whats the limits on it?
Old 07-21-15, 07:51 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't see the Diono Rainier or Radian mentioned so thought I would add this. It's a fully convertible option that covers from 5 to 120 lbs. I currently have it rear facing for my one year old. When used with the available "angle adjuster" from Diono it fits great for such a highly engineered seat. Plus the blue looks like it was made for the F!

I'm 5'11 and still fit somewhat comfortably. Not a problem at all for my wife.
Old 07-21-15, 11:49 AM
zebani
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone is interested in selling their baby seats, particularly in SoCal, please shoot me a PM

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-15, 12:50 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
I didn't see the Diono Rainier or Radian mentioned so thought I would add this. It's a fully convertible option that covers from 5 to 120 lbs. I currently have it rear facing for my one year old. When used with the available "angle adjuster" from Diono it fits great for such a highly engineered seat. Plus the blue looks like it was made for the F!

I'm 5'11 and still fit somewhat comfortably. Not a problem at all for my wife.
What is that foam pad thing under the seat?
Old 07-21-15, 12:56 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caveman
What is that foam pad thing under the seat?
It is the "Angle Adjuster" Diono sells separately. It is designed to to provide a more upright angle of the car seat in rear facing installation. Basically does the same thing as the pool noodle trick you might hear others talking about. This also gives more room for the front seat to come further back. It's a must have in the ISF if you want to be able to use the passenger seat.
Old 07-21-15, 03:22 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaxF
Sorry for the thread revival, but wife and I are expecting twins in October. We are going to get the cybex aton / aton 2 and a couple extra bases. Any suggestions from those of you that used these?
i really like the aton seats we used an aton for our second one. the seat fits well, and when installed behind the driver's seat, i had just enough knee room to drive the car comfortably (i'm 6' height).
Old 11-10-15, 04:39 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Bringing this back... since there are new car seats being released every year, I'm just wondering if any of you have fitted or recommend any other convertible car seats for our F? My second daughter has outgrown her infant seat and is approaching 2 years old and I think its time to upgrade her. Debating if I should go with another Recaro Performance Sport convertible seat, or if there's something out there thats really safe and also saves a lot of leg room for both my daughter and the person sitting in the passenger seat (wife).
Old 11-10-15, 07:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I have the Recaro in the picture above (ProRide) currently installed in my Supra. The F is getting body work done. The Recaro is tall, so when you are forward facing, you will be removing the headrest entirely and doing something to flatten the seat.

The goal of "really safe" and "saves leg room" do not go together. The closest I got to that was the Aton 2, but as soon as your child either gets too tall or too heavy, the seats get big. There is no way to make a compact seat for a larger child safe from an engineering perspective.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-10-15 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 01:59 AM
komesu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have the Recaro in the picture above (ProRide) currently installed in my Supra. The F is getting body work done. The Recaro is tall, so when you are forward facing, you will be removing the headrest entirely and doing something to flatten the seat.

The goal of "really safe" and "saves leg room" do not go together. The closest I got to that was the Aton 2, but as soon as your child either gets too tall or too heavy, the seats get big. There is no way to make a compact seat for a larger child safe from an engineering perspective.
I agree with this completely (coming from a car seat technician). I've noticed a few of you have RECARO Proride/Performance rides. There recently was a tether recall, please make sure your specific models weren't affected. If they were contact RECARO and they will send you a new modified strap.
Old 11-11-15, 04:02 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I ended up with the aton2 for both of my boys. While they spend most of the time in the wife's RX, they do fit comfortably behind the two of us without our knees in our chest. I'm 5'10 and sit relatively close to the wheel, maybe just a few inches back from my track position, and my wife is 5'8 and she has no issues, other than pissing and moaning about getting out of the car because it's low to the ground (relative to her RX).

Quick Reply: Show me Baby Seats in the IS-F!!!