HKS HiperMAX III CLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 02:45 PM
Obiwan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS HiperMAX III CLX

Anyone else running these on an IS-F?

Probably not I would imagine since I haven't seen any threads about them. Well the part number is the same for the IS-250 and 350, which tells me it could work just fine with the IS-F and is fully adjustable as well.

I just ordered a set in from HKS that we are going to install on one of our project IS'Fs while we wait for the HRE's to be built for it. If it doesn't feel right we will install them on friends 250 and call it a day.

I have never been a fan of Tein's and so I will post back with some info and pics once we install them. I have always found Tein's to be noisy, rough, and and a fairly low end coil over option. However for the budget minded I spose' they are a bit cheaper.

The HKS retail at about $2295.00

Specifically designed for Luxury sports car performance.

Description straight from HKS's site:

Hipermax III CLX is the proof that luxury and performance need not be mutually exclusive. Designed for BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura and other premium brand automobiles, the CLX series Hiper Linear Piston combines smooth, quiet ride characteristics with enhanced handling capability and the ability to set precise ride height for reduced pitch and roll with the shock-body-length-adjustability feature (most applications). HKS' new reinforced rubber mounts provide unsurpassed insulation from road harshness, while thick, chrome plating on the cylinder shafts and standard dust boots provide excellent durability and longevity. Tuned specifically for challenging expansion joints, uneven pavement and the frost heaves of North American roads, Hipermax III CLX is possibly the single best upgrade you can offer your luxury performance automobile.

Key Features:
• Hiper Linear Piston – Linear progression piston adjusts oil passages for precise stroke management resulting in smoother valve movements. As piston speed increases, dampening rate linearly increases.
• Strengthened rubber upper mounts – enhanced durability
• Monotube design
• Shock-body length adjustable (most applications)
• 65mm diameter springs – Cold wound and manufactured in-house at HKS to ensure quality and consistency
• Lightweight Aluminum lock nut & ride height adjuster
• 30-way adjustable dampening
• Hard chrome-plated cylinder shaft
• Non-electrolysis Nickel plated shock bodies provide durability in severe weather conditions.
• Dustboots standard
• 1 year limited warranty

It seems no one knows they are available. The HKSUSA.com site does not show them listed for the IS'f but the part number is the same for the IS-250, 350. Just like the Teins...???

***Incorrect information on the TEIN's I am told as our price and part number sheet shows the same part # for all 3 models. Sorry for any misinformation.

***NOTE spoke to HKS and the standard CLX coilovers are NOT the same as the IS-F specific setup, please read below.

Thanks

Ben
_______

Last edited by Obiwan; 05-16-10 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-13-10, 03:10 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Obiwan,
It's good to see you on CL...I've followed your Supra Projects on Supraforums. In regards to the HKS Hypermax III, be careful not to get the ones for the regular IS250/350 because the spring rates as well as valving maybe different and may not support the additional weight of the IS-F. I think there were one or two owners who accidently got coilovers for the IS250/350 for the IS-F and ended up bottoming out...Darshana S...
Old 05-13-10, 03:36 PM
Obiwan
Driver School Candidate

Hi Supraman,

It's nice to be on here too, wish I had more time to follow things more closely on here though but I really don't. We are pretty busy with projects now that the weather has warmed up and sports cars are back on the road finally!

As for the concern with the model #. Should be the same over all because for instance the Tein setup shows to be the exact same part number for the 250, 350, and IS-F?? Plus the HKS has full adjustability so you could compensate for it anyways to a point.

I think it could work, and well dial em in pretty quick Im sure. Thanks for the heads up on the weight issue but there should be little effect on the HKS setup I imagine if corner balanced and tweaked but unsure.

I'll keep you all posted. They are about a week out with the weekend.

Thanks

Ben

***NOTE spoke to HKS and the standard coilovers are NOT the same as the IS-F specific setup, please read below.

Last edited by Obiwan; 05-16-10 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-13-10, 04:50 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are not the same as the ones for the ISX50 and neither are the Teins. Yes you can adjust dampening but you aren't going to be able to adjust the spring rate to compensate for the extra weight in the front or proper handling.

HKS has specific coilovers they are working for the IS F (one of the members here has them on his car) but they aren't released yet.
Old 05-13-10, 05:10 PM
tryama
Rookie

Hi,

I actually have a set of the HKS Hipermax CLX III coilovers made specifically for the F.

Last I've checked, they were still not ready, but I'm pretty sure they aren't the same.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...entross-2.html

Best,

Tyler
Old 05-13-10, 05:51 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

^ How are the HKS coils?? are they good? decent? great?? ride quality??
Old 05-13-10, 08:15 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

I'd like to know as well...
Old 05-14-10, 09:43 AM
tryama
Rookie

The HKS Coilovers are great! When I received them from HKS, they were set in the middle (15 clicks). The ride was still responsive, yet it felt that the rough bumps were softened a bit, which was exactly how it should be!

When I added the rims, I changed the setting to almost max stiffness (zing!), and the ride got a lot more hard, enough to handle my rear wheels from destroying my fenders and quarters on the freeway bumps.

I do apologize, as I haven't gone to full softness yet, so I can't say much about it, but if I didn't have 20's on my car, I would probably never go softer than in the middle (15 clicks) because I think that was the perfect setting for our car - you still feel the road yet the extremes are softened up, better than stock for sure.

If I find anything out on availability, I will def let everyone know.
Old 05-15-10, 01:33 PM
Obiwan
Driver School Candidate

Yes did some more in depth research on it all. The standard CLX coilovers can be used, but HKS does have a specific CLX just for the IS-F with slightly different valving and an adjusted spring rate. Special order only. What does that mean in the real world? That instead of it taking 2 days for us to get them in from HKS USA it's more like 4 weeks as they are ordered in from Japan specifically. HKS is not recommending the standard CLX be run on the IS-F. Just to be clear on that.

The TEINS however ARE the exact same for all models according to Tein's information. They use the EXACT same part number with no designation. Please check Tein's website and you can confirm this for yourself.

Tryama thanks for posting up pics. Glad some other people are hip to this as well!
Old 05-16-10, 12:57 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Obiwan
Yes did some more in depth research on it all. The standard CLX coilovers can be used, but HKS does have a specific CLX just for the IS-F with slightly different valving and an adjusted spring rate. Special order only. What does that mean in the real world? That instead of it taking 2 days for us to get them in from HKS USA it's more like 4 weeks as they are ordered in from Japan specifically. HKS is not recommending the standard CLX be run on the IS-F. Just to be clear on that.

The TEINS however ARE the exact same for all models according to Tein's information. They use the EXACT same part number with no designation. Please check Tein's website and you can confirm this for yourself.

Tryama thanks for posting up pics. Glad some other people are hip to this as well!
First, the HKS coilovers are NOT available yet, and they are NOT available by special order either. Ask Mike in R & D at HKS. If you were to special order them (if they were available) it would be more like 8 + weeks.

Second, the Tein's are NOT the same for the IS F and the regular IS and they do NOT use the same part numbers. Regular IS is PN GSL90-K1SS3, the PN for the IS F is GSC72-KUSS3. The link below shows the part numbers as well as the spring rates.

http://www.tein.com/products/comfort...rice_list.html

About the only thing I agree with you on that you've posted on in this thread is that the Tein coilovers are at the lower end of the market in terms of performance. Please check your facts before posting misleading and wrong information.
Old 05-16-10, 02:15 PM
Obiwan
Driver School Candidate

Ok well argue away then, I certainly want to know and make corrections if I am wrong which is why this was an ongoing "well keep you updated" thread. My information is not the same as yours on the Tein sheet I am looking at, however you may be prevy to a different price and parts sheet them I am for the TEINS? A click and paste straight from Tein's website will follow later in this thread which is what I am going off. If I am wrong on that then by all means I am happy to update it, although I buy a set of Tein's about once a year as we recommend against them normally.

I admit that I was a bit over zealous hoping that there was a simple and superior coil over alternative when posting this thread but certainly learned a lot more as we researched it further. Hopefully that information will be useful and the IS-F specific CLX version will be made available in the US market if we show them enough interest and demand for them.

I spoke to Ryan at HKS (Sales Manager) on Friday, who is not just our sales rep but personal friend as well, who is working on getting me the final word on availability beginning of this week. So wether or not they are publicly available for resale and wether or not they are available for us (our company) is another story. We've been getting and using HKS components on vehicles that were never released in the US for a long time. One of the perks of having done this for more then a minute. blah blah blah... bottom line is HKS is unclear of wether or not they will EVER be released in the US market, so this may be more of a rare gem piece then an actual available option.

Secondly special order is 8 weeks slow boat, and 4 weeks if expedited. Been doing this a while so I have a pretty good sense of how long it takes to get a set of special order anything.. now as an individual and not a PRO dealer that may be a whole other story. Never been on that end of it.

Here is what I got from Tein's website when doing research. If there is a different part number for the F, I'll believe you, but it's not the case according to their site??? What I am looking at shows the part number to be EDK05-12120 for all of the IS 250/350/F models. Maybe you are looking at a different sheet them I am? Certainly don't want to give misleading information if this is outdated or listing the part # incorrectly when there is a specific designation?

LEXUS IS250
GSE20L 06+ CST 2wd V6-2.5L
7/392
SM070-01250 7/392
SG070-01250 R/M -35
-1.4 -16
-0.6 13
0.5 ~ -56
-2.2 -13
-0.5 ~ -42
-1.7 EDK05-12120
LEXUS IS250
GSE20L 06+ SS V6 2.5L 2WD
9/504
SJ090-01200 9/504
SH090-01200 OEM -47
-1.9 -39
-1.5 -27
-1.1 ~ -65
-2.6 -30
-1.2 ~ -62
-2.4 EDK05-12120
LEXUS IS350
GSE21L 06+ CST 2wd V6-3.5L
7/392
SM070-01250 7/392
SG070-01250 R/M -35
-1.4 -16
-0.6 13
0.5 ~ -56
-2.2 -13
-0.5 ~ -42
-1.7 EDK05-12120
LEXUS IS350
GSE21L 06+ SS V6 3.5L 2
9/504
SJ090-01200 9/504
SH090-01200 OEM -47
-1.9 -39
-1.5 -27
-1.1 ~ -65
-2.6 -30
-1.2 ~ -62
-2.4 EDK05-12120
LEXUS IS F
USE20L 08+ CST
12/671
SL120-01200 10/559
S8049-01100 R/M -30
-1.2 -15
-0.6 6
0.2 ~ -57
-2.2 -8
-0.3 ~ -28
-1.1 EDK05-12120

That didn't list out the way I was hoping it would, sorry if that's totally confusing, click and paste didn't work so well.

Anyhow, point of this thread was to discuss another option and see if anyone was using them, had tried them etc. According to one individual who posted above, they look and sound great and it sounds like a viable and much superior option to the Tein's if they are going to be publicly available.

Ill post back up with more info as I get it.

-Ben

*** Damn typos

Last edited by Obiwan; 05-16-10 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-16-10, 03:18 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

FACT:

No Jedi mind tricks here. The info in that link is public information that anyone can get by going on the Tein site. If you clicked on the link I provided you'd see that EDK05-12120 is the EDFC PN and fits any coilover that is EDFC compatible. It's NOT a coilover part number.

FWIW:

As far as HKS goes I've known Ryan N along with his wife and kids for a long time (13 years plus) as well as most of the staff at HKS. I spoke to him on Friday when he called me about the topic of this very thread . I've been doing this for bit longer than a minute too and sold HKS long before some could spell HKS and before Pro Dealers existed. My information is based on first hand information, not stuff I read about on the interwebz.

Really no need to argue, since I think in the end the goal is to provide relevant and accurate information. I think in your attempt do so your research was not as thorough as I felt it could have been.

Last edited by N54MPower; 05-16-10 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-16-10, 06:27 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little OT, but can either of you with good connections with HKS find out if there will be a kit specific for the IS-C's (specifically IS350C).

TIA
Old 05-17-10, 11:41 AM
Obiwan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by N54MPower
FACT:

No Jedi mind tricks here. The info in that link is public information that anyone can get by going on the Tein site. If you clicked on the link I provided you'd see that EDK05-12120 is the EDFC PN and fits any coilover that is EDFC compatible. It's NOT a coilover part number.

FWIW:

As far as HKS goes I've known Ryan N along with his wife and kids for a long time (13 years plus) as well as most of the staff at HKS. I spoke to him on Friday when he called me about the topic of this very thread . I've been doing this for bit longer than a minute too and sold HKS long before some could spell HKS and before Pro Dealers existed. My information is based on first hand information, not stuff I read about on the interwebz.

Really no need to argue, since I think in the end the goal is to provide relevant and accurate information. I think in your attempt do so your research was not as thorough as I felt it could have been.
Well good to clarify things on the TEIN's. Tried to make notation on that yesterday to clarify things once looking it over and confirming the part number. Again not a huge fan of Tein so not as familiar with their part numbers as I could have been. So happy to acknowledge where that was incorrect and continue to see if we can get some sets of the IS-F specific coil overs here.

As for HKS dealers, that's great that you have been doing this a long time as well. Not sure how long that is or what shop your with but glad to know you too support the great products they produce. Ive been involved with them since way back in the early 90's and have seen a lot of things come and go, and sadly a lot of products never make it to the US.. Like the VPC II and other cool things that would have been great to have once upon a time.

Anyhow, we can do the name dropping thing all day, lol, bottom line is wether or not this will be a viable option for us all with IS-F's or wether or not it wont be. I also would love to do a back to back test on the spring rate of the standard CL-X Vs the IS-F version to see just how different then are aside from valving in case the IS-F specific version does not make it here for public sale .

Guess well see what happens again I'll keep everyone updated as things unfold.

As for the IS 350C, I'll ask but I doubt it's super high on their list of priorities unless the weight and balance of the car is close enough to the IS350 for the suspension to be backwards compatible.
Old 05-17-10, 12:14 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you were going to spend the money of a set of HKS coilovers I would recommend just getting a set of the IS-F specific KW V3's.

They will ride much nicer, have more travel and they come with dual rebound and compression adjsutment.

The only downside to the KW's that we encounter with customers is for those who want to "slam" their car. KW's are not designed for that. However the car handles better midly dropped compared to slammed anyway.

Quick Reply: HKS HiperMAX III CLX