IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Grounding kit? Anyone try it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 06:54 PM
Splat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks for the informed opinion. i was just curious as to what you would say and if your take changed. for the cost that they want i would just find a pic of the grounding points they used and make one myself as it takes all of ten minutes of work to do it correctly.
Old 01-18-11, 07:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Splat
ok thanks for the informed opinion. i was just curious as to what you would say and if your take changed. for the cost that they want i would just find a pic of the grounding points they used and make one myself as it takes all of ten minutes of work to do it correctly.
Yeah, I'd dab a shot of anti-seize on the bolts and call it much better, especially the copper based anti-seize. Having a liquid based metal bridge in the contact area improves conductivity where the biggest problems exist.

If you want to find the weak points in any electrical system, just raise the voltage and feel for heat. Any place hot is a resistance point until it burns through.
Old 01-18-11, 11:21 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Lobux you have to admit though, when you add a wholelot of heavy wire you change the resonant freq of the NVH. Could this be the famed smoothing "effect"?

After working in the Car audio industry for 6 years, then going through engineering school to get me ECE, then designing high speed transmission lines for 11 years I know my way around the electron pretty well. The relative sizes of the ground paths to the signal paths in a typical Aluminum motor are so vastly different I would comfortably say that a grounding kit would provide no improvement unless there were other environmental factors at play. Even battery terminals need servicing at times and dielectric oxidation can cause increased resistance in your stock system. But of nothing is touched or fiddled with, I find it hard to stomach that these claims could be susbstatiated. The great thing (for these companies) I guess is that most claims are extremely subjective and the human brain is trained to get what it expects to happen. Anticipation is the best marketing and plenty of companies make their bacon on easily disposed income.

That is my midnight thought.

I will say that adding a complimentary return path in an audio system sure makes the bass hit harder...but we are taking magnitudes different DI/DT that say a smaller VB solenoid or injector driver could ask for. These devices create their own local current storage tuned to their own specific demands.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions