IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joined the Joe Z clan

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-10, 07:59 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car looks good Carlos, it looks like you're running spacers on the stock wheels. If so what sizes are you running front and rear?
Old 04-23-10, 08:21 PM
carlosg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N54MPower
The car looks good Carlos, it looks like you're running spacers on the stock wheels. If so what sizes are you running front and rear?
Ichiba spacers 15mm all around
Old 04-23-10, 08:29 PM
carlosg
Driver

Just a photo of the F's big brother
Attached Thumbnails Joined the Joe Z clan-dsc00976.jpg   Joined the Joe Z clan-g35_3.jpg  
Old 04-23-10, 09:01 PM
carlosg
Driver

Originally Posted by VIPERVENOM
Looks like you have the front wheels on the wrong side. The spokes are backwards on your driver's side wheel.
Sh...t you are right didn't notice
Old 04-23-10, 09:14 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carlosg
Ichiba spacers 15mm all around
Version I or II that don't require stud replacement?

Nice pics of the G too. What turbo kit do you have on it?
Old 04-23-10, 09:16 PM
carlosg
Driver

Version I or II that don't require stud replacement?

Nice pics of the G too. What turbo kit do you have on it?
version II. G has greddy twin with 20G turbos full built engine 640 rwhp
Old 04-24-10, 12:24 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I will post the intake tube photos tomorow. Joe my exhaust has some mild drone when driving on automatic mode will this go away?
Hi Carlos

When New.. I have seen anywhere between 500-1000 miles for it to FULLY burn in.

At that point, it tones down just a tad bit and the low speed drone subsides.

We recently did some test drives with my F which had the exhaust installed over 10k miles ago..
vs
An IS-F that just installed the exhaust..

There was a major difference in sound between the 2 F's

Give it some time & you will be happy in all the RPM ranges..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-24-10 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-24-10, 12:38 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

I had the same issue with mine and it never went away. I was considering putting the stock exhaust back on, but I went to Thermal R & D (an exhaust manufacturer that private labels exhausts and their mufflers for some of the big companies) told me to try an insert in the exhaust tips and they worked wonders. Unlike the silencers typically found on JDM exhausts these have a small pipe that protrudes into the muffler and forces the resonance back into the cavities of the muffler. I was skeptical but it worked.

If it weren't for those inserts I think I would have put the stock system back on the car. I loved the fitment and quality but the noise was a bit too much for me. I might be loosing some hp but it is well worth it. Now the exhaust is right between the Joe Z and the stock with no resonance.

This is not a knock against PTS/Joe Z. I think from the reviews on here most love their exhaust, for some of us in the minority we'd like something a bit quieter. I've had 1 piece titanium exhausts on my Evo and other cars and the fitment of the Joe Z right up there with the best.
Hey Peter,

I would love to see & hear more about the inserts you have used..

Like you mention, we do have a few CL members in the minority that would love to tone down the PTS/JoeZ exhaust.

Looks like you just might have found the perfect solution they have been looking for.

I also have been asked to make the exhaust louder!!!

I guess we are in the middle right now.. LoL

Thank You for the kind words...!!

Joe Z
Old 04-24-10, 08:27 AM
mondo540
Driver

Is a solution like the NPP Corvette exhaust an option to develop or is that too expensive? I always thought that would be the perfect solution...full sound above say, 3000 or 3500 rpm;s, back to stock sounding after that when just cruising, on freeway, etc.

I believe an aftermarket co. developed a mild to wild option for the NPP exhaust ... where the owner can manually set it on "open" all the time, and then when the wife is in the car, or coming home late and not wanting to wake the neighborhood, the option of adjusting it back to stock, at owner's discretion...
Old 04-24-10, 05:50 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Hey Peter,

I would love to see & hear more about the inserts you have used..

Like you mention, we do have a few CL members in the minority that would love to tone down the PTS/JoeZ exhaust.

Looks like you just might have found the perfect solution they have been looking for.

I also have been asked to make the exhaust louder!!!

I guess we are in the middle right now.. LoL

Thank You for the kind words...!!

Joe Z
Joe, I'd be happy to meet up with you so you can see the insert and hear the difference. I'm out of town for work right now, but when I get back I can shoot you a PM. Not sure who Peter is though, so don't be disappointed when we meet that I'm not Peter .

The fitment is superb on the Joe Z (and I can seldom say that on most American and most European made exhausts) and I wanted to keep it on the car and these inserts made the difference for me. BTW I bought mine used and had little doubt it was going to get quieter with more miles.
Old 04-25-10, 05:00 PM
carlosg
Driver

Originally Posted by VIPERVENOM
Looks like you have the front wheels on the wrong side. The spokes are backwards on your driver's side wheel.
Fixed it yesterday thanks for your observation because I hadn't noticed
Old 04-25-10, 05:01 PM
carlosg
Driver

Joe, I'd be happy to meet up with you so you can see the insert and hear the difference. I'm out of town for work right now, but when I get back I can shoot you a PM. Not sure who Peter is though, so don't be disappointed when we meet that I'm not Peter .

The fitment is superb on the Joe Z (and I can seldom say that on most American and most European made exhausts) and I wanted to keep it on the car and these inserts made the difference for me. BTW I bought mine used and had little doubt it was going to get quieter with more miles.
could you post some pics of the inserts
Old 04-25-10, 07:16 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

LoL... Somehow I thought that was your name..

Again, thank you for the kind words!!

Looking forward to seeing & hearing more about the inserts.

Joe Z
Old 04-27-10, 07:52 AM
sickISF
Driver

Originally Posted by primecut
lol... yea that's one of the primary reasons why I didn't get one. The sound and power increase is amazing (I drove an F that had it), but I can't live with it day-to-day, especially when I want to enjoy a quiet cruise with the wifey. If there is a quiet exhaust out there that can still deliver the power gains, then I'd be very interested.
What kind of rims do you have there! Looks SICK!!!
Old 04-27-10, 03:45 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

could you post some pics of the inserts
That would require me to put the car on a lift or jack stands and take both rear sections of the exhaust off to remove them from the car, so I'm afraid I won't be able to do that.

When I return from my trip I'll see if I can pass by Thermal R & D and take a pic of one if they have it available.

Quick Reply: Joined the Joe Z clan