IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Potential buyer, question.

Old 02-12-12, 11:55 AM
Jakex1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential buyer, question.

Although I told myself I would probably not buy a lexus, looking at the specs it seems to be a pretty good contender v. it's competitors. I don't want to bother you guys with another "shud i buy dis car"

But was wondering if anyone has an IS-F and drives it in snowy conditions, whether it is with or without winter tires. Any and all input is appreciated, and for the record I am in New York as far as weather is concerned.

Edit: I am reading the snow thread, but was wondering if anyone there would suggest I not buy the IS-F if i need to be driving in the snow.
Old 02-12-12, 12:13 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't answer your question but ....Buy one, you'll love it. I still get this lil childish grin every time I start my car.
Old 02-12-12, 01:12 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Well three of my last four cars have been RWD, 04 S2000, 04 M3 and now the ISF, of which I'd say the ISF is right behind the M3 in terms of it's snow driving abilities, IMO. I have had no problems with the ISF in the snow whatsoever though. With Blizzaks on the car, it handles great. Just keep the car in snow mode and be smart about how you turn, brake and use the throttle, and everything should be fine. One thing is for sure, snow tires are a must. You won't get very far with this, or any car for that matter, that has a set of high performance summer tires on it. The tires make all the difference in the world.

For me, this has been the only DD car that I truly get excited to drive everyday. There are some fantastic cars out there in this category, i.e. M3, CTS-V, C63, etc., but for me the ISF was the right choice. Great performance, comfort, design, reliability, and 26.5 mpg on summer gas! (mostly all highway...) Good luck with your search.
Old 02-12-12, 01:14 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Going to depend on your tires really. It will drive just as well as other RWD's in the snow if properly equipped with proper rubber. The ISF weak point in the snow will be its ride height, its rather low to the ground.

I went from a G35 to the ISF... What a world of difference.
Old 02-12-12, 03:52 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Going to depend on your tires really. It will drive just as well as other RWD's in the snow if properly equipped with proper rubber. The ISF weak point in the snow will be its ride height, its rather low to the ground.

I went from a G35 to the ISF... What a world of difference.
Couldnt have said it better. The F with proper snow tires on it handles really well actually--i was amazed for a RWD car. In toronto we have big snow and the clearance is the big problem. Its so easy to get stuck in a snow bank and rip off expensive pieces of plastic like the engine undercover.
Old 02-12-12, 05:07 PM
andysvette
Driver

Driving in WI, the winters can be long. I did invest in some ML-25 Blizzak's. Handling, braking fantastic however my only complaint is starting on snow covered roads, lack of weight in the rear makes it a bit of a challenge.

Get the ISF it's a fantastic car!!
Old 02-13-12, 01:48 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Everything you need to know is in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...pressions.html

Useful video footage on Page 3 as well.

Enjoy!
Old 02-13-12, 05:59 AM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

I have been nothing but impressed with the F since I first purchased it. I had to move on from my Z after my little girl was born, and had to get a 4dr but didnt want to loose on performance. I cant tell you how glad I am that I took the risk on a used high mileage one. I have had nothing but fun since I got it, and its actually really good on gas.
Old 02-13-12, 08:20 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tell this to everyone planning to drive any nice car in the snow... even though the F is fully capable of driving in snow and is probably one of the best, get the F and a beater, you won't regret it. I'd suggest a FWD or AWD beater. This avoids you having to take the F out when there is salt on the roads, you will also have less scratches/chips on your car due to ice.
Old 02-14-12, 06:47 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my car brand new last Monday. While Tulsa has had the warmest winter in 70 years, we had a dusting of snow yesterday with just a minor amount accumulated on the roads. With brand new Pilot Sports on it, it was quite a challenge driving in even a dusting and in snow mode. Different tires are a must. Of course, if it get's too bad, I have a brand new Escalade as well that I can drive.
Old 02-14-12, 08:08 PM
Jakex1
Pole Position

thanks for the advice guys, ill be sure to keep it in mind when i go shopping for my next car.
Old 02-15-12, 05:37 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 2012 ISF in January. Everytime I start it I smile, and I can't get enough of the performance and angry growl at higher rpms.

If you have any concerns about the capabilities of the ISF, I suggest that you read the latest story in Motor Trend. The writer states:

"Yaguchi-san hasn't merely transformed the IS F into a more astute gripper. No, he's morphed it into a true M3 chaser, and quite possibly, a legitimate mauler of Munich's (and Stuttgart's) current best." The source is included below.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._f_first_test/

Enjoy the ride!
Old 02-15-12, 06:54 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

snow shhhhmo
everyone drives ridiculously slow in the snow
if u can't handle that in any vehicle then you shouldn't be driving at all
I don't know what all the fuss is about
sliding around corners is fun and easy to control