Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 05:06 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ;-)

Originally Posted by VIPERVENOM
This guy can't drive. Period.
ROTFLMAO Why don't you tell us how you really feel.....

I am NOT trying to bust the OP's jewels on this one, but is sure sounds as if either, 1. The accelerator pedal was pressed instead of the brake pedal, or 2. He ran out of skill before the vehicle ran out of speed. Either way an investigation will be conducted, and the evidence NEVER lies. To the OP, glad you were not hurt, and all is well, that's why God made insurance.
Old 04-22-10, 05:38 AM
Pmach
Rookie

Was the traction control on? I don't know about the IS-F but I know in my IS350 if I try to really push the car in a turn the TC will kick in right away and prevent me from losing the rear end. I know the IS-F has the extra 100 horses but I would believe the traction control system would work the same way. What conditions are the tires in? You never mentioned what the road conditions were like either. A very unfortunate situation never-the-less but it sounds more like driver error rather than a mechanical error.
Old 04-22-10, 07:04 AM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

I think we're treating the OP a bit harshly because he immediately blamed recall, low post count, and not enough facts.

On the bright side, you and your friend seem to be ok and the insurance is giving you 68k! Oh what I'd do if I had 68k to spend on a new car.

best of luck~!
Old 04-22-10, 07:59 AM
Tango1
Driver School Candidate

It occurs to me that in cases like this the "black box" may be worse than useless - a lot worse.

Suppose for a moment that the pedal sensor(s), produce the wrong signal for some spurious and unpredictable reason. The ECU would only be doing what it thought was correct, and would save WHAT IT SAW in the black box memory. So even if the driver DID press the brake pedal, the black box would swear that he did not because the sensor said he did not. And we know who the courts would believe. That driver could even be convicted of negligent driving or worse.

Welcome to the world of "drive by wire".
Old 04-22-10, 08:39 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RTIS250
The recall directly addresses concerns pertaining to pedal entrapment... The recall includes a ECU reflash, mainly as a 3rd line of defense. With the new programming, the ECU cuts power when it sees the brake and gas pressed at the same time. The 2nd line of defense, is a replacement gas pedal itself, which is shorter, and further away from the floor, to minimize any contact with the carpet or floor mat. The 1st line of defense being common sense, correct and properly installed floor mats using the factory carpet clips.
This is EXACTLY what is being done at the Lexus dealership i work for....
Old 04-22-10, 09:04 AM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPERVENOM
This guy can't drive. Period.
^what he said! Get an Aveo if you cant handle that much power. Another guy that tries to take advantage of Toyota situation.
Old 04-22-10, 09:40 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Glad that you are fine.

Pending further objective and factual details that's all I can say.
Old 04-22-10, 09:54 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Ice? Ottawa Canada (OP's location) shows 2 degrees C today a 1pm. What was it like last week? What time of day? in the shade? too many questions to determine what happened here.
Old 04-22-10, 10:00 AM
threeputt
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Ice? Ottawa Canada (OP's location) shows 2 degrees C today a 1pm. What was it like last week? What time of day? in the shade? too many questions to determine what happened here.
I also live in Ottawa and don't recall any ice from 11 Apr to 17 Apr (possible accident timeframe??). Daytime temperature ranges were from 12.7 Celsius to 17.1 Celsius during the day but we did have a couple of days where it did rain. All info courtesy of the the weather network.
Old 04-22-10, 11:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's some story, not that it relates to recall (attached);
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IS recall Apr 2010.pdf (1.40 MB, 225 views)
Old 04-22-10, 11:12 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both floormats installed on my car.. i just make sure they are secured while i get in the car. IF lexus IS is being affected by the uninteded acceleration then i would reconsider to get my ECU updated... but as far as this point you would be the first one that would have been affected if it was true..
Please update us

Last edited by n0th1ng; 04-22-10 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-22-10, 11:35 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ekorre
Regardless, once your car is beginning to slide , with the tail moving out, slamming on the brakes is not going to stop it cold, nor counteract the momentum you've already begun generating, generally- braking hard once the car has lost its **** will cause a ridiculous mess, and I could forsee it slamming out sideways out of control.

I learned the hard way not to slam on the brakes when in a uncontrolled slide.
^ This. Once you lose traction, it's not a matter of braking anymore. Glad to hear you are ok (Which also speaks volumes on the safety of the F), but this sounds like user error.
Old 04-22-10, 11:43 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xxISFxx
So about a week ago, i got in a somewhat major accident in the isf. Was doing a right turn and suddenly lost the tail end. Tried to regain control of car but no success. Now in details of exactly what happen. The right turn was not a 90degree turn from one street to another. It was a right curve turn? (Like going on or off a highway) As i entered the turn i was going at normal speed, coming out of the turn i felt the car accelerating and slowly losing the back end. I tried to adjust and eventually counter steer slightly and that's when all hell broke loose. The car ended up sliding left now. I went over 1 island, 1 center median and the side walk. Car ended up under a small fence. That's going over 3 curbs and off 2 curbs. 5 curbs total! When i felt like i had no hope and was going to hit the island curb i slam the brakes but the car still continued to move forward from one side of the street (far right lane) to the left side of the street (far left lane). About 5 lanes total so u can imagine the distance from one side to another. How the **** can i go over all those lanes and at the same time slamming the brakes and still go over an island, center median and sidewalk. I would imagine if it was a normal car losing control and slamming the brakes the car would probably be at a dead stop after hitting the first island. Anyways the car is 44k in damage. I can go into details of the damage later. Insurance says they would rather write off the car and pay me full value for the vehicle (68k) then fix it. Lexus collision center also said they will not guarantee any other problems after fixing what they know of. Insurance also said they would save money fixing it but they came to conclusion to write it off. What i'm thinking is that my insurance company doesnt want to risk insuring my vehicle after its fixed. My main question is what process do i take to deal with this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. HOW DO I DEAL WITH THE RECALL????

Thanx everybody that's listening and helping!!
just curious but what do you consider normal speed? im sure everyones definition of normal speed is different.
Old 04-22-10, 01:44 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Good point on the temp: We all know how these summer tires act in very cold temps. > they're next to useless. This could have been a big part of the issue.

C.
Old 04-22-10, 02:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Sorry to hear the bad news...

Was it raining??? Icy??? and/or are your tires bald??

Its almost impossible for this to occur in the DRY with VSC and TRAC ON..

I have to ask... Do you have any pics of the damage?

Originally Posted by n0th1ng
I have both floormats installed on my car.. i just make sure they are secured while i get in the car.

^^ We like you here...

Please take one set of your floormats out of the IS-F.

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-22-10 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Got in accident, 99% related to recall