IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 03:02 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by STLblueF
Can anyone recommend a pad that is extremely low dust? These would not be track pads obviously, just something for light street use.
We have a new street pad for the front and the rears are due any day. The ET500 from RB. We typically suggest them on our 2P rotors but they should work great on the softer OE rotor.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 01-29-16, 05:32 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FIGS
We have a new street pad for the front and the rears are due any day. The ET500 from RB. We typically suggest them on our 2P rotors but they should work great on the softer OE rotor.
Mike
How do the compare to ns400 and w2s
Old 01-29-16, 07:41 PM
MATTatSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STLblueF
Can anyone recommend a pad that is extremely low dust? These would not be track pads obviously, just something for light street use.
Originally Posted by H1_OFICR
Definitely reach out to speed freaks. They can walk you through all the options. Project mu ns400 is the gold standard as far as super low dust without losing much performance if any.. But there are other ceramic options that could work..
We are having technical difficulties with our vendor account so I am temporarily using this account on behalf of Speed Freaks USA. Thank you for posting up about the Project Mu NS400! They are not the most inexpensive option available but are arguably the best and indeed considered to be the gold standard for ultra low dusting performance pads on the F.

Here are the direct links to the website for anyone who wants to take a look:
Project Mu NS400 PS4F160 D1365 Lexus IS-F Front
Project Mu NS400 PS4R106 Lexus ISF IS-F Rear

As always we have discounts available for or friends here on Club Lexus!

-Matt M.

Last edited by MATTatSF; 01-30-16 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-29-16, 09:54 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I think he meant to say:

Originally Posted by MATTatSF
Thank you for posting up about the Project Mu NS400! They are not the most inexpensive option available but are arguably the best and indeed considered to be the gold standard for ultra low dusting performance pads on the F.
As always we have discounts available for or friends here on Club Lexus!

-Matt M.
Old 01-30-16, 12:03 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by H1_OFICR
How do the compare to ns400 and w2s
I believe both the NS400 and the W2 are ceramic derivative compound. The ET 500 is still a semi-metallic pad but has a very fine grain structure to prevent dust formation and squeal harmonics. We use them on our 2-P rotors from RB because the metallurgy of those rotors has a tighter grain structure and they are really hard so a semi-metallic pad is absolutely required. Personally ceramic pads never work for me as I find they tend to peen the rotor surface and you never get that nice bed-in layer that generates a lot of the initial friction. The ceramic compounds do stay low dust I will hand them that but we have found a better approach to maintain the braking feel at street temps but with a substantial reduction in dust.

If the pads don't work for you, we will happily take them back no questions asked. They are also substantially less expensive than the PMU along the same lines as the W2.

Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting

Last edited by FIGS; 01-30-16 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-30-16, 01:38 PM
MATTatSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good catch, Lou! It's been corrected on the original post!

-Matt M.
Old 07-02-16, 08:57 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Brakes done and upgraded :-)

Here is what I am going with this time around:

Project Mu HC+800 (from SpeedFreaks)
Racingbrake/Figs 2pc Rotors (from Figs engineering)
Brembo Evo 500+ brake fluid

(Awesome upgrade from Stoptech (front) / OEM rear pads, OEM rotors all around )
Attached Thumbnails Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Rossi; 07-02-16 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-02-16, 09:01 PM
Rossi
Racer

Front rotors were shot for sure:
Old 07-02-16, 09:06 PM
Rossi
Racer

The new Racingbrake rotors are EDP coated.
The black coating comes off during the bed in process.
Just amazing:-)

I would like to thank Mike (FIGS) for an awesome deal and fantastic customer service as always.
Old 07-02-16, 09:15 PM
Rossi
Racer

I will be back after few hundred miles to post a proper review, but my initial experience is simply fantastic.
Going five times from 80MPH to 15 during the bed in process (two rounds) and experience zero fade, I have never experienced this before. These pads are amazing and zero noise. The initial bite is insane.

I always wanted the 2pc RB rotors, thank you Mike!!!

I just hope my awesome wife doesn't fly through the windshield driving the car

Last edited by Rossi; 07-02-16 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-03-16, 05:07 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
I will be back after few hundred miles to post a proper review, but my initial experience is simply fantastic.
I'll be interested hearing your thoughts after using them for a bit. I need to replace my OEM rotors soon. I already use the HC+800 pads & they rock. Do you track your car?

I initially thought I'd stick with OEM, but I think I need something a bit more robust since I've gotten faster at the track. My OEM cross-drilled rotors are full of cracks & I'm getting tired of cleaning out the baked-in brake dust from the holes after track days.

-Mike
Old 07-04-16, 09:49 AM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I'll be interested hearing your thoughts after using them for a bit. I need to replace my OEM rotors soon. I already use the HC+800 pads & they rock. Do you track your car?

I initially thought I'd stick with OEM, but I think I need something a bit more robust since I've gotten faster at the track. My OEM cross-drilled rotors are full of cracks & I'm getting tired of cleaning out the baked-in brake dust from the holes after track days.

-Mike
Mike, I don't track my car, however, I get to push the car really hard in triple digits quite often.
You need to get these, they are absolutely fantastic, they are made out of special iron, they should be lasting three times the life of the OEM rotors, I couldn't stand my OEM rotors ride for last few thousand miles before replacement.

I don't thing, I will ever have to replace my rear rotors again, they will most likely be able to outlast the life of the car, next time around, I will only replace the rotor rings in the front for half the price, but that will not be for quite some time.
I also have these on my 2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS (6speed stick, 405HP, it's my daily drive), it is a 5000 pound car, 10k miles since the replacement and they look like brand new, I am convinced about the longevity for sure.

IMO, these are the best looking rotors for our cars, besides the weight saving factor and the cooling benefits of two piece design. You cannot go wrong with these. The combo F+R set offer from FIGS, I couldn't pass on that.

I have been in the modding game for quite some time now, I learned over the many years that I should always get the best or the parts I desired the most on the first shot as it is only a question of time before I end up with those parts anyway, because I know I will not be happy with the setup until I get what I invisioned. Man, I have thrown so much money away in the past LOL, I am sure many can relate to that. :-)

Last edited by Rossi; 07-04-16 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-04-16, 11:10 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Mike, I don't track my car, however, I get to push the car really hard in triple digits quite often.
You need to get these, they are absolutely fantastic, they are made out of special iron, they should be lasting three times the life of the OEM rotors, I couldn't stand my OEM rotors ride for last few thousand miles before replacement.

I don't thing, I will ever have to replace my rear rotors again, they will most likely be able to outlast the life of the car, next time around, I will only replace the rotor rings in the front for half the price, but that will not be for quite some time.
I also have these on my 2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS (6speed stick, 405HP, it's my daily drive), it is a 5000 pound car, 10k miles since the replacement and they look like brand new, I am convinced about the longevity for sure.

IMO, these are the best looking rotors for our cars, besides the weight saving factor and the cooling benefits of two piece design. You cannot go wrong with these. The combo F+R set offer from FIGS, I couldn't pass on that.

I have been in the modding game for quite some time now, I learned over the many years that I should always get the best or the parts I desired the most on the first shot as it is only a question of time before I end up with those parts anyway, because I know I will not be happy with the setup until I get what I invisioned. Man, I have thrown so much money away in the past LOL, I am sure many can relate to that. :-)
Yeah, I'm seriously considering these.. As much as I want some other go fast mods, (such as headers & lightweight track wheels), this seems like a worthy upgrade based on the abuse my OEM rotors are taking at the track. I'm positive my rotors will be shot before the end of the season, so those other mods may have to wait till next year.

I'm also looking at the RR Racing competition two-piece slotted rotors, since they're comparably priced ($120 difference for all four). However, I like the supposed benefits of the open slot feature on the RBs, especially if they're truly "self cleaning" and help channel some dust away from the face of the wheels.

I'd like to hear from somebody that's tracked the IS-F with these rotors & a moderately aggressive pad (like the HC+800) to see if there's any dust build-up in the holes at the end of the day.

-Mike

Last edited by mikersoft; 07-04-16 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-05-16, 09:37 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Yeah, I'm seriously considering these.. As much as I want some other go fast mods, (such as headers & lightweight track wheels), this seems like a worthy upgrade based on the abuse my OEM rotors are taking at the track. I'm positive my rotors will be shot before the end of the season, so those other mods may have to wait till next year.

I'm also looking at the RR Racing competition two-piece slotted rotors, since they're comparably priced ($120 difference for all four). However, I like the supposed benefits of the open slot feature on the RBs, especially if they're truly "self cleaning" and help channel some dust away from the face of the wheels.

I'd like to hear from somebody that's tracked the IS-F with these rotors & a moderately aggressive pad (like the HC+800) to see if there's any dust build-up in the holes at the end of the day.

-Mike
I will snap a pic if I can tomorrow of our set that has about 10 track days on them. These will last you a long time for sure, the replacement from tracking will come from expansion fatigue rather then from wearing out, but a street driven car should never need to replace them especially if you are running the RB compound pads, which are designed to be the most compatible with the iron alloy used.

Also, don't forget we retain the parking brake with the bimetal rear hat, making it one of the few 2-p designs to do so.

Mike
Old 07-08-16, 04:19 PM
Rossi
Racer

Here is what I am going with this time around:

Project Mu HC+800 (from SpeedFreaks)
Racingbrake/Figs 2pc Rotors (from Figs engineering)
Brembo Evo 500+ brake fluid

(Awesome upgrade from Stoptech (front) / OEM rear pads, OEM rotors all around )
I cannot be happier with this setup, just superb. Very aggressive setup, complete transformed the car. This is first time in my life I enjoy acceleration as much as braking. Insane initial bite, this car now stops on the dime. If you are spirited driver, and you focus on performance, this is a MUST. Not completely quiet, there is some grinding noise as some mentioned, I will have to try to bed them in again. So much performance WOW. Yes, there is dust, above OEM pads levels for sure.
But honestly, I am happy to wash the wheels with a smile on my face for this much performance, that's one for sure.

Last edited by Rossi; 07-09-16 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)