IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 11:36 PM
archie
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SExDEVIN
Stoptech directly

Devin
Weird... I have contacted them this week and the pads are still not available as of Monday (yesterday). They still dont know what the arrival date is, or this is what I have been told.

Who did you speak to over there, and what part number are you going by if you dont mind me asking
Old 04-19-10, 10:57 PM
matt310
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Yeup.. I talked to them directly already...

AFAIK... the rears are ready and they are still waiting on the fronts..

"Centric Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic pads"

IS-F

Front part# 104.13650

Rear part# 104.13660

StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads

IS-F

Front part# 309.13650

Rear part# 309.13660

Notice the similar part numbers....

Joe Z

Just wanted to add in my .02 here...I had the Centric Posi-Quiet pads on my RS 4, and even upgraded the lines to stainless and bled the system, and all I can say is these pads are absolute rubbish. Braking distances were way longer when the pads were cold, and when they were wet it felt as if they weren't there at all. Not good on a heavy car like the RS.

The pads did, however, leave next to no dust and performed well when they were warm/hot, but that's about it. They were properly bedded according to DaveZ's recommendations. If you like the braking performance of the IS-F's stock pads, especially the initial bite, then DO NOT get these pads.

-Matt
Old 05-21-10, 12:15 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

does anyone have the ferodos? i wanted to know how much brake dust it compares to stockers. it seems like the ferodos are the closest thing to stock and i assume it is less dusty, but by how much?
i still dont know which pads i need to get and i think i have about at most another 5,000 miles on my pads. i only have 10,000 miles on now.
Old 06-05-10, 06:36 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed out all 4 brake pads with StopTech (No rotors replacement). After 16k miles, the fronts didn't have any meat left but the rears still have plenty left.

I really can't tell any changes on the initial bite on the new pads during a 10-mile drive home from the shop. However, I will update shortly after break in.

It's nice to have the shop http://www.rndfactory.com/ provide parts and installation so I don't have to worry about vendor shipping wrong part.
Attached Thumbnails Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)-stoptech-brake-pads.jpg  
Old 06-05-10, 10:55 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

how much were they dont seem to list it on thier site.
Old 06-05-10, 11:29 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Labor for Brake pads - Front & Rear: $85
Brake Bleeding: $65
Front & Rear Pads: Less than $200.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
http://www.rndfactory.com/iss-g35-z33.html

Originally Posted by lx470man
how much were they dont seem to list it on thier site.
Old 06-10-10, 05:46 PM
MR2Racer28
Driver School Candidate

do they make the hawk pads for the rears? I cant seem to find them
Old 06-11-10, 12:59 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Well, one thing for sure, brake dusts are almost as bad as OE after less than a week driving.

Originally Posted by avgj0F
I changed out all 4 brake pads with StopTech (No rotors replacement). After 16k miles, the fronts didn't have any meat left but the rears still have plenty left.

I really can't tell any changes on the initial bite on the new pads during a 10-mile drive home from the shop. However, I will update shortly after break in.

It's nice to have the shop http://www.rndfactory.com/ provide parts and installation so I don't have to worry about vendor shipping wrong part.
Old 06-11-10, 01:47 AM
infinus
Lead Lap

^ that sucks but thanks for letting us know!
Old 06-14-10, 08:31 PM
matt310
Rookie

Well, one thing for sure, brake dusts are almost as bad as OE after less than a week driving.
I switched to these pads on my RS 4 and it was like night and day difference in dusting from the stock Audi pads. After a week of driving the rims were still silver instead of black.

I bought these for the IS-F and was going to have them installed this weekend. Is the dust finer/easier to wash off or is it the same chunky/flaky crap the stock pads throw out?
Old 06-15-10, 12:31 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

The brake dusts are finer but pretty much same amount of dusts and the wheels still need a weekly wash as with stock pads.

Now, the new pads have bedded in and with more miles accumulated, the initial bite level and linear response is nowhere close to OE. I'm highly disappointed given its name and reputation.

Good luck with yours.

Originally Posted by matt310
I switched to these pads on my RS 4 and it was like night and day difference in dusting from the stock Audi pads. After a week of driving the rims were still silver instead of black.

I bought these for the IS-F and was going to have them installed this weekend. Is the dust finer/easier to wash off or is it the same chunky/flaky crap the stock pads throw out?
Old 06-16-10, 12:59 PM
matt310
Rookie

The brake dusts are finer but pretty much same amount of dusts and the wheels still need a weekly wash as with stock pads.

Now, the new pads have bedded in and with more miles accumulated, the initial bite level and linear response is nowhere close to OE. I'm highly disappointed given its name and reputation.

Good luck with yours.

Wow, that's disappointing to hear. Did you have the brake system bled at all? I've read overall good reviews on these pads, but your comments on the initial bite worry me. With this large a braking area you'd expect the initial bite to be strong, and overall braking to be very linear.
Old 06-16-10, 01:11 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Yes, a 2-man-brake-bleed job was done. I could live with less initial bite for not spending an hour cleaning and waxing the freaking 10-spoke wheel every week. It didn't just work out

Originally Posted by matt310
Wow, that's disappointing to hear. Did you have the brake system bled at all? I've read overall good reviews on these pads, but your comments on the initial bite worry me. With this large a braking area you'd expect the initial bite to be strong, and overall braking to be very linear.
Old 06-16-10, 01:31 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

good thing i stuck with carbotech then...
Old 06-16-10, 02:13 PM
matt310
Rookie

Yes, a 2-man-brake-bleed job was done. I could live with less initial bite for not spending an hour cleaning and waxing the freaking 10-spoke wheel every week. It didn't just work out
Really sorry to hear that. The wheel finish on the IS F is reminiscent of the E39 M5's 'shadow chrome' and it appears the pitting and discoloration are also along for the ride. Hopefully the 'lighter' dust will mean it's less abrasive on the rims while accumulating in-between washes. It seems brake manufacturers haven't really been able to create a high-perf pad with great initial bite that doesn't bleed large amounts of 500-degree metallic ash all over the place.

On another note, why is there no paint code for the stock wheels? Is it some crazy ancient BBS Japanese secret or something?

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)