IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 02:59 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I read it somewhere the Nissan Z has a same paint color for the ISF's wheel.

Originally Posted by matt310
...On another note, why is there no paint code for the stock wheels? Is it some crazy ancient BBS Japanese secret or something?
Old 06-16-10, 03:02 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

I thought about ProjectMu and Carbotech and I went with a brand name one. I guess didn't work out too well

By the way, did you have Carbotech for the rears? I thought it has some issues with the fitting for the rears.

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
good thing i stuck with carbotech then...
Old 06-16-10, 03:04 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
I thought about ProjectMu and Carbotech and I went with a brand name one. I guess didn't work out too well

By the way, did you have Carbotech for the rears? I thought it has some issues with the fitting for the rears.
yeah, i measured mine and sent them back...they sent me a good set, just haven't had time to put them on yet...
Old 06-20-10, 09:44 PM
MR2Racer28
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does hawk make the rear pads?
Old 06-21-10, 04:08 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

^no, they don't yet.
Old 06-21-10, 10:46 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's pretty funny because Project Mu brakes are used by most of the top race teams in Japan. They are also used by the Rahal Letterman ALMS GT BMW's and I know of a few Sprint Cup NASCAR teams that actually buy Project Mu pads when they get them for free from other manufacturers.

Stoptech isn't as big of a brand name globally but they make a good product and have a few Rolex Grand Am cars and SCCA World Challenge cars using their BBK's. I use their BBK kit on my track car and they work flawlessly lap after lap sorry to hear you weren't happy with your pads. I use the Project Mu pads on my IS F and highly recommend them.
Old 06-22-10, 11:11 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

I have ProjectMu on my G35's rears and the pads produce the same amount of dusts as the front OE pads. I know it's not the same comparison but I most likely go back to OE.

The OE pads brake dusts are just insane but the performance during hot or cold, wet or dry is second to none, and much needed for a late "braker" like myself

Originally Posted by N54MPower
That's pretty funny because Project Mu brakes are used by most of the top race teams in Japan. They are also used by the Rahal Letterman ALMS GT BMW's and I know of a few Sprint Cup NASCAR teams that actually buy Project Mu pads when they get them for free from other manufacturers.

Stoptech isn't as big of a brand name globally but they make a good product and have a few Rolex Grand Am cars and SCCA World Challenge cars using their BBK's. I use their BBK kit on my track car and they work flawlessly lap after lap sorry to hear you weren't happy with your pads. I use the Project Mu pads on my IS F and highly recommend them.
Old 06-22-10, 12:26 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

I have ProjectMu on my G35's rears and the pads produce the same amount of dusts as the front OE pads. I know it's not the same comparison but I most likely go back to OE.
Which compound are you using on the G35?

And yes you're right it's not really the same comparison .
Old 06-22-10, 02:24 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

ProjectMu NS (Street Performance).

Originally Posted by N54MPower
Which compound are you using on the G35?

And yes you're right it's not really the same comparison .
Old 07-02-10, 11:41 PM
wiredGS400
Driver

Default TOFTT and installed RAYBESTOS Rotors

So, after 20,000 miles, the independent repair person said "time for new brakes, everything, rotors and pads" How much? I ask. Please sit down for this, so I sit. 1300 bucks. Ouch, but hey, it's an ISF, so what you gonna do. So, not being happy with what he told me, I said I would consider my options, so I went shopping, and found this thread. I didn't see anyone with the Raybestos, but they were the cheapest, and figured, I am willing to lose the 250.00 bucks if they are crap.

I also opted for the Stop tech Street Performance pads, and got everything installed.

My impressions after a week with the setup is that it is good, perhaps great. BUT, the initial bite is not as hard as the OEMs. Mind you, that makes me a smoother driver I think. But overall, stopping power is on Par with the OEM setup.

We'll see how they hold up.
Old 09-15-10, 05:44 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wiredGS400
So, after 20,000 miles, the independent repair person said "time for new brakes, everything, rotors and pads" How much? I ask. Please sit down for this, so I sit. 1300 bucks. Ouch, but hey, it's an ISF, so what you gonna do. So, not being happy with what he told me, I said I would consider my options, so I went shopping, and found this thread. I didn't see anyone with the Raybestos, but they were the cheapest, and figured, I am willing to lose the 250.00 bucks if they are crap.

I also opted for the Stop tech Street Performance pads, and got everything installed.

My impressions after a week with the setup is that it is good, perhaps great. BUT, the initial bite is not as hard as the OEMs. Mind you, that makes me a smoother driver I think. But overall, stopping power is on Par with the OEM setup.

We'll see how they hold up.

It has been over 3 months, can you tell us how the brakes are working out for you?

Thanks
Old 09-27-10, 09:53 AM
diablo2184
Pole Position

so i guess OEM is the way to go for street stopping performance....?
Old 10-12-10, 07:33 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, my day is finally here. Dealer states I need new rotors and pads up front...cost would be $2400. My F has a little under 20k miles on her. The car does not shudder or or anything at all. Do you guys think I could get away with just resurfacing the rotors and replacing the pads with my own bought set, instead of the stealerships?
Old 10-12-10, 11:47 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

That quote is just ridiculous, even for all 4 corners, let alone for 2 fronts. Anyway, you may be able putting in new pads without replacing the rotors at that mileage but the rotors thickness has to be greater than minimum specs. The installer should be able to tell you. Good luck.

Originally Posted by nysupraman
Well, my day is finally here. Dealer states I need new rotors and pads up front...cost would be $2400. My F has a little under 20k miles on her. The car does not shudder or or anything at all. Do you guys think I could get away with just resurfacing the rotors and replacing the pads with my own bought set, instead of the stealerships?
Old 10-13-10, 03:14 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

OEM brembo rotors and pads are $$$ so deal up charges even more. pretty common for them to do that. its like buying coolant from lexus opposed to toyota, your paying a good 5-10 bucks more.

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)