IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 04:03 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

^^^^Actually I disagree. The stock Jurid or Textar pads are not really a performance pad, though the are pretty good and certainly better than the pads on other Lexus models. The PM NS400 have an equivalent bit to the stock pads with much less dust. The PM HC+800 are in another league. A great dual purpose pad.

Lou
Old 01-13-17, 04:28 PM
RacingBrake
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Sorry for the non-ISF question, but I believe setup in question is available for ISF and with this being the best forum around, I am hoping the get some feedback.
I did some work on my 09 Porsche Cayenne GTS today. I noticed, the front brake pads are almost in need to be replaced.

Just like my ISF, my Cayenne has the 2pc RacingBrake/Figs rotors up in front. Unfortunately, the Project Mu HC+800 are not available for the Porsche application, I am now leaning towards Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Questions:
1) based on my research, Ferodo DS2500 should be quite close performance-wise to the Project Mu HC+800 is that right?

2) how are these as far as the noise? (I don't care about the dust as I am all about performance.)

3) how aggressive are these for the life of the rotors?

Any other brake pads I should consider besides the Ferodos?
I am looking for the maximum performance with minimal noise, I also don't want to destroy my expensive rotors.
Have you checked with Mike @Fig about RB's XT910 compound, it's a step up from street performance pads like Hawk HPS and is the the best spirited pads in motorsports community eg. EVO, MB and GTR etc. RB performance street pads are the best bundle with RB two piece rotors. Lots of good review on XT910.
Old 01-13-17, 10:53 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by WarrenRB
Have you checked with Mike @Fig about RB's XT910 compound, it's a step up from street performance pads like Hawk HPS and is the the best spirited pads in motorsports community eg. EVO, MB and GTR etc. RB performance street pads are the best bundle with RB two piece rotors. Lots of good review on XT910.
XT910 were no available for my Cayenne GTS only the standard ET500 pads. Otherwise I would definitely consider them for sure. Ended up getting the Ferodo DS2500. I just installed them yesterday. Still braking them in, I will post my opinion soon.
Old 01-14-17, 08:37 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Proper bedding of the pads is not a time consuming process. What method are you using? BTW, I have DS2500s on the front of my F and luv them. I have posted about that on this and other threads.

Lou
Old 01-14-17, 11:05 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Bed-in should take less than 15 minutes. just a heat cycle with elevated temps to get friction transfer. Is the DS2500 not too aggressive for the street?
We could have bundled the XT910 pads with the rotors if you contacted us Rossi, maybe next time. If you would like to give them a shot please let us know.

If anyone is interested we now have XT910 packages available with our 2-P rotors in stock for all 4 corners. It's a great spirited driving pad and the longevity of this compound with our 2P rotors means never replacing the rotors again on a street driven vehicle. Even with many track days on our set and they are still in great shape. We would not have had to service them if we had not upgraded to the 15", 14" kit on our car.
Thanks Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 01-15-17, 10:59 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FIGS
Is the DS2500 not too aggressive for the street?
IMO, NO I have them paired with PM HC+800 on the rear. A GREAT Combo IMHO. Note, Ferodo does not make the DS2500 for the rear caliper of an ISF.

I have posted many times about my affection for the Ferodos.

Lou
Old 01-15-17, 07:21 PM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by flowrider
Proper bedding of the pads is not a time consuming process. What method are you using? BTW, I have DS2500s on the front of my F and luv them. I have posted about that on this and other threads. Lou
Lou, we got some heavy rain in SoCal so did not wanted to go crazy on the bedding on very wet surface. I am all set now, I did the two rounds of the typical 8-10 hard brakings from about 75mph to 10mph following then with some cool down. Couple days later one more round of that on the dry. It's great now. Here is my feedback for the Ferodo pads (installed FRONT ONLY - on 2009 Cayenne GTS - 6speed) Great pads, very street-able with noticeably better stopping power than my previous pads (EBC Red stuff, which were awful, their temperature threshold is laughable. I cannot drive in spirited fashion with those safely) Ferodos have: No fade, zero noise, (also no grinding sound like the Project Mu HC800+). I cannot wait to wear our my rears out and add these in the back too.
I still like the Project Mu better, just way more aggressive, just superb. But for my daily driver, the ferodos DS2500 are perfect.

Originally Posted by FIGS
Is the DS2500 not too aggressive for the street? We could have bundled the XT910 pads with the rotors if you contacted us Rossi, maybe next time. If you would like to give them a shot please let us know. Thanks Mike
Mike, I got the RB 2pc rotors way back with 20% off directly from RacingBrake. I was not aware the XT910 pads are available for Cayenne as they were not listed on the RB website as an option.
Old 01-15-17, 11:00 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Lou, we got some heavy rain in SoCal so did not wanted to go crazy on the bedding on very wet surface. I am all set now, I did the two rounds of the typical 8-10 hard brakings from about 75mph to 10mph following then with some cool down. Couple days later one more round of that on the dry. It's great now. Here is my feedback for the Ferodo pads (installed FRONT ONLY - on 2009 Cayenne GTS - 6speed) Great pads, very street-able with noticeably better stopping power than my previous pads (EBC Red stuff, which were awful, their temperature threshold is laughable. I cannot drive in spirited fashion with those safely) Ferodos have: No fade, zero noise, (also no grinding sound like the Project Mu HC800+). I cannot wait to wear our my rears out and add these in the back too.
I still like the Project Mu better, just way more aggressive, just superb. But for my daily driver, the ferodos DS2500 are perfect.

Mike, I got the RB 2pc rotors way back with 20% off directly from RacingBrake. I was not aware the XT910 pads are available for Cayenne as they were not listed on the RB website as an option.
Yeah for some reason they are not listed as an option with the rotors, but listed separately for the application. The joys of maintaining a technical website .
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 01-16-17, 12:22 PM
DBrian
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great thread! I'm due for pads.... actually the OEMs have life in them but i'm planning to replace early because i'm so tired of the squealing. One question i haven't seen and maybe this is obvious: is it a good assumption that most squealing in daily driving is coming from the front rather than the rear?
I'm debating changing only the front pads to start with if this is a good assumption...
Old 01-16-17, 01:03 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^From my experience, both practical and from my reading, I believe that's an incorrect assumption. As far as replacing pads, it would be good to replace pads with similar characteristics (front to rear).

Lou
Old 01-16-17, 05:40 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

...(installed FRONT ONLY - on 2009 Cayenne GTS - 6speed) Great pads, very street-able with noticeably better stopping power than my previous pads (EBC Red stuff, which were awful, their temperature threshold is laughable. I cannot drive in spirited fashion with those safely) Ferodos have: No fade, zero noise, (also no grinding sound like the Project Mu HC800+). I cannot wait to wear our my rears out and add these in the back too.
Glad you're enjoying the pads on the Cayenne! Everything fit as it should, right? Just want to make sure the 1625s were exactly the correct pad for you. I know you won't need them for a while yet but we've got the matching DS2500 rears ready to go whenever that time comes

-Matt M.
Old 01-16-17, 07:09 PM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Glad you're enjoying the pads on the Cayenne! Everything fit as it should, right? Just want to make sure the 1625s were exactly the correct pad for you. I know you won't need them for a while yet but we've got the matching DS2500 rears ready to go whenever that time comes

-Matt M.
hi Matt, thank you for your support and help. Everything fits perfect. I will contact you when the rears are due for sure.
Old 01-19-17, 01:19 AM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really need help to buy a set of front rotor to replace the OEM rotor. My steering wheel is shaking when I hit the brake at the red light. I already bought a set of stop tech sports pads. Which brand for the front rotor should I get at reasonable price and look similar to slotted OEM ?
Old 01-19-17, 09:16 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

If you just want a drilled rotor like OEM, you could start here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...otors&_sacat=0

Lou
The following users liked this post:
ISF350 (01-19-17)
Old 01-19-17, 11:23 AM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone used this model below? some owner like it per the review. Weight 27.6 lbs/each !
Brembo 09.A300.11 UV Coated Front Disc Brake Rotor for $112 each.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)