IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 01:05 AM
mvp2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed ceramic on my F and honestly I don't track my car just daily driver to work and school I like them better then the OEM brembos which I still have if anyone is interested about 80% life left on front and rear. Ceramics produce a lot less dust build up and don't squeak as much as the brembos. Like I said I don't track the car so I needed something that left my wheels looking cleaner and shiner.
Old 07-23-13, 09:27 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
So... in consideration of the issues that were brought up about the Wearever Ceramics...

And since I already have them sitting on the shelf...

Should I use these?

I don't track my car, and I'm generally pretty easy on the brakes unless it's an emergency situation. I don't think I've ever had to use the ABS on the F yet....

I do want a very low dust option but still be able to depend on my brakes should the need arises obviously...

So.....
Really the decision is yours, it would seem prudent to either sell them unused or just install and run them since you already have them in hand - don't have data on how much the Wearever dust, but there has been some inconsistency in the manufacturing of the pad (unusual tapers on the pad are common, shows up as a non contact area on the rotor).

Data so far, ranked based on dusting:

Project Mu Type NS or NS400 = Lowest Dusting Pad, no loss in performance - some fade resistance
Carbotech 1521 = Low Dust Ceramic, no loss in performance - but fade if used hard
Performance Friction Z Rated Pads = Low Dust Ceramic, no loss in performance - some fade if used hard. (We will need to test these again).
StopTech Street Performance Pads = ~ OEM Dust, better performance than stock, lower fade than OEM
Porterfield R4-S = (Going to Test with a member on the forum for feedback) (to be reviewed by PatrickISF)
Ferodo DS2500 = Less dust than OEM, Better pedal feel, feel stronger than OEM, much less fade than OEM (reviewed by lowrideraz). On this pad, do remember the minimum operating temp for performance is higher than OEM specs, but they would affect only vehicles in extreme cold environments.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 07-25-13 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-23-13, 09:29 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Endgame
O.K. Time for me to start looking at brake options. I do not think I saw this combo earlier and as such would like some thoughts: Centric Rotors w/Project MU NS400 pads.... Good??
Yes, quite good! Actually seems to be our most popular setup at the moment! We had two members pick them up in the last 2 weeks - I will let them comment on their experience on the combo.
Old 07-23-13, 10:32 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed-Freaks.net

Data so far, ranked based on dusting:

Project Mu Type NS or NS400 = Lowest Dusting Pad, no loss in performance - some fade resistance
Carbotech 1521 = Low Dust Ceramic, no loss in performance - but fade if used hard
Performance Friction Z Rated Pads = Low Dust Ceramic, no loss in performance - some fade if used hard. (We will need to test these again).
StopTech Street Performance Pads = ~ OEM Dust, better performance than stock, lower fade than OEM
Porterfield R4-S = (Going to Test with a member on the forum for feedback)
I'd like to add The Ferodo DS2500 = Less dust than OEM, Better pedal feel, feel stronger than OEM, Much less fade than OEM.

I bought my pads from Speed-Freaks.

Lou
Old 07-25-13, 12:26 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I'd like to add The Ferodo DS2500 = Less dust than OEM, Better pedal feel, feel stronger than OEM, Much less fade than OEM.

I bought my pads from Speed-Freaks.

Lou
Definitely - I'll add it on the list, good call.
Old 08-16-13, 03:51 AM
Ryanmac
Rookie

When a Lexus dealership puts on new OEM pads and rotors, do their tech procedures include a bed-in of any sort? Or do they expect you to do it? (they told me no, but she wasn't very technical). I just got new OEM rears and they are squealing. Makes me furious as that's why they were replaced in the first place.
Old 08-16-13, 10:10 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^No they don't. And really, you wouldn't want them to. Do it yourself, it's not that hard.

Lou
Old 08-16-13, 10:56 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I put this in another thread but wanted to share my thoughts. thanks again to speed-freaks.net for the help and great customer service.

I also just installed the Project Mu NS400 pads with stoptech rotors. like mentioned above 80-90% less dust, initial bite and fade feels like OEM Brembo's. no low speed noise at all.

love this setup.
Old 09-12-13, 02:42 AM
firzen
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried out Brembo 09.A300.11 front rotors? Planning to buy them as the brand is well known and it's a fit for the F: http://bremboaftermarket.com/En/Car_...IDMaster=12560
Old 09-12-13, 07:57 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^If you look at the spec sheet attached, you'll see it carries a Toyota PN. This is the OEM Lexus Brembo rotor.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)-31bfb386-78ce-46e3-9e77-b223ff1bb18dv1-600f800.jpg  
Old 09-28-13, 02:08 PM
formula0
Driver School Candidate

Default Just contributing some more data for this thread

2010 IS-F - all street driven, no track events on this car. Here are my brake system log:

24K miles: Stock Pads needed to be replaced at 24K miles. I switched from the stock pads to Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads front and rear. I kept the stock rotors against dealer advice

62K miles: Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads front and rear still looked like they had a ton of life left on them, but I was wary of the stock rotors after 60k miles and getting more and more concerned about the Carbotech pads based on other users on this forum. I replaced all four corners with Raybesto rotors and StopTech street pads.

90k miles: StopTech street pads on the front are now almost all worn out so need to replace them with another set which I will be doing shortly. Again planning on sticking with the existing rotors for this set of pads.
Old 10-01-13, 09:19 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I wanted to bring this post back up since I was the one who bought the Porterfield R4-S pads from Speed-freaks.net. Thanks again guys! They were an absolute pleasure to deal with. On the ball, quick to respond, shipping was fast... you really can't ask for anything more.

So on to the review. I replaced the OEM pads at 24k miles on the front with the R4-S pads. The pads fit perfectly in the caliper and they cover the entire rotor like OEM pads. I did the proper bedding procedure and after that they felt really good. These feel like they have the same stopping power as the OEM pads but they do not exhibit the on/off feeling of the stock pads. You can definitely modulate these pads a lot better. Get some heat in these and they will have no problem shedding off speed very quickly. I've done a few 100mph hard stops getting off at an off ramp and the car brakes straight, tons of stopping power and very predictable.

The bad: They do groan. Once they get some heat in them its almost going to happen ever time if you are creeping up to a stop light. The brake dust... while less than stock, they do exhibit some dusting after a few days of driving. It sounds like the Project Mu's are almost nonexistent with brake dust, but I can't say the same for these guys.

Overall, I am happy with them as a cheaper alternative to the stock pads. I've had Hawk HPS pads on previous cars and the Porterfield's feel much better. I usually do mountain runs but I haven't on these pads yet. I plan to do a couple more runs before the weather gets too cold. I'll definitely update after I've done those but I don't project any issues and probably will handle multiple high speed stops just fine.

If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer.
Old 10-01-13, 10:38 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by formula0
2010 IS-F - all street driven, no track events on this car. Here are my brake system log:

24K miles: Stock Pads needed to be replaced at 24K miles. I switched from the stock pads to Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads front and rear. I kept the stock rotors against dealer advice

62K miles: Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads front and rear still looked like they had a ton of life left on them, but I was wary of the stock rotors after 60k miles and getting more and more concerned about the Carbotech pads based on other users on this forum. I replaced all four corners with Raybesto rotors and StopTech street pads.

90k miles: StopTech street pads on the front are now almost all worn out so need to replace them with another set which I will be doing shortly. Again planning on sticking with the existing rotors for this set of pads.
Stoptech pads are the cheapest solution, how is the bite a feel of the Stoptech? Also how much dust do they produce?
Old 10-01-13, 11:06 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickISF
I wanted to bring this post back up since I was the one who bought the Porterfield R4-S pads from Speed-freaks.net. Thanks again guys! They were an absolute pleasure to deal with. On the ball, quick to respond, shipping was fast... you really can't ask for anything more.

So on to the review. I replaced the OEM pads at 24k miles on the front with the R4-S pads. The pads fit perfectly in the caliper and they cover the entire rotor like OEM pads. I did the proper bedding procedure and after that they felt really good. These feel like they have the same stopping power as the OEM pads but they do not exhibit the on/off feeling of the stock pads. You can definitely modulate these pads a lot better. Get some heat in these and they will have no problem shedding off speed very quickly. I've done a few 100mph hard stops getting off at an off ramp and the car brakes straight, tons of stopping power and very predictable.

The bad: They do groan. Once they get some heat in them its almost going to happen ever time if you are creeping up to a stop light. The brake dust... while less than stock, they do exhibit some dusting after a few days of driving. It sounds like the Project Mu's are almost nonexistent with brake dust, but I can't say the same for these guys.

Overall, I am happy with them as a cheaper alternative to the stock pads. I've had Hawk HPS pads on previous cars and the Porterfield's feel much better. I usually do mountain runs but I haven't on these pads yet. I plan to do a couple more runs before the weather gets too cold. I'll definitely update after I've done those but I don't project any issues and probably will handle multiple high speed stops just fine.

If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer.
Thanks for the update! I plan on getting some porterfields when I decide to install my RB 2 piece rotors
I have same pads on the supra and like I said, the dust is there but nothing compared to the stock ones.
Old 10-01-13, 11:08 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
Stoptech pads are the cheapest solution, how is the bite a feel of the Stoptech? Also how much dust do they produce?
Look at Post #257 above.

Lou

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)