IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 12:41 PM
formula0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Notes & questions regarding my brake experience:

I have a 2010 IS-F. I do track cars, but never (yet) in the IS-F as its always been my daily driver.

I had to replace the stock pads at 24K miles and I went with Carbotech Bobcats for both front and rears. I kept the stock rotors on back then because they seemed fine.

Now I'm at 53K miles and I intend on replacing the stock rotors soon with Raybestos at all four corners. My Carbotech Bobcat pads still look like new, which is pretty amazing given that they have already lasted more than twice as long as the stock Brembo pads. Anyone else with Carbotech Bobcat pads? If so, how many miles were you able to get out of them before you had to replace the Bobcats??
Old 04-02-12, 05:22 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

is it pretty easy and straight forward to replace the rear brake pads?
Old 04-02-12, 07:53 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiLS
is it pretty easy and straight forward to replace the rear brake pads?
from my understanding.. (from lobux's previous post) it's the same as the front but easier as there's no bridge bolt... just the pins...
Old 04-03-12, 09:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by formula0
Notes & questions regarding my brake experience:

I have a 2010 IS-F. I do track cars, but never (yet) in the IS-F as its always been my daily driver.

I had to replace the stock pads at 24K miles and I went with Carbotech Bobcats for both front and rears. I kept the stock rotors on back then because they seemed fine.

Now I'm at 53K miles and I intend on replacing the stock rotors soon with Raybestos at all four corners. My Carbotech Bobcat pads still look like new, which is pretty amazing given that they have already lasted more than twice as long as the stock Brembo pads. Anyone else with Carbotech Bobcat pads? If so, how many miles were you able to get out of them before you had to replace the Bobcats??
I just pulled the Bobcats after about 40k of street use (I swap pads for the track). They were making a creaking noise and the calipers were very obviously flexing under pedal pressure. The discs were heavily worn at the root, but not at the edge. I replaced the discs with brand new Lexus (that I had cryo'd) and put in the OEM Lexus pads. The creaking noise (you could hear it with the car stationary and the engine off or on) went away after the pads were swapped. The way they wore does not inspire confidence they are a good long term solution. Yes, they work great, they dust a lot less, and they feel good, but my experience with them over the long term tells me they need to be replaced long before you would normally replace them for wear.
Old 04-04-12, 09:37 AM
formula0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I just pulled the Bobcats after about 40k of street use (I swap pads for the track). They were making a creaking noise and the calipers were very obviously flexing under pedal pressure. The discs were heavily worn at the root, but not at the edge. I replaced the discs with brand new Lexus (that I had cryo'd) and put in the OEM Lexus pads. The creaking noise (you could hear it with the car stationary and the engine off or on) went away after the pads were swapped. The way they wore does not inspire confidence they are a good long term solution. Yes, they work great, they dust a lot less, and they feel good, but my experience with them over the long term tells me they need to be replaced long before you would normally replace them for wear.
That's pretty damning of the Carbotech Bobcat pads. That's too bad because from a normal usage standpoint, they seem fine. Longer pad life than the factory pads, no noise, good pedal feel, and like you said: less dusting.

Given that I already put 30K on my set of Bobcats, based on your post it seems like I should swap out the Bobcats for something else when I change my rotors. I don't want to go back to the stock pads, so what's another good option for street pads? Hawk HPS?
Old 04-04-12, 08:40 PM
cha7Li3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Checking with a recently done brake pad job. I went ahead with
Hawk HPS Performance Street (Part # HB616F.607)
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=S
So far it feels like OEM to me, and price is extremely good. Tirerack is now selling it for $118 so about $130 shipped instead of the $250 that's listed on the first page.

Brake dust looks like its a lot better as well.
Old 04-05-12, 12:53 PM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Post. Its about that time for my front brakes too. Im at 4mm right now. Now I need to make the right decision on pads and rotors, after reading all the comments I still dont have a clear direction on replacements.
Old 04-06-12, 02:02 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone is looking for Stainless Steel Lines these are the part numbers that Stop Tech gave me

Front lines 950-44003

Rear lines 950-44504
Old 04-06-12, 04:46 PM
TokyoF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good read....I'm going with Stoptech pads from Tire Rack in the front only.....the rears after 35,000+ are still going strong!
Old 04-06-12, 04:59 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

i go ta question guys...are the fsport bbk the same that come on the isf?

and on the market how much do our brakes go for?
Old 04-10-12, 08:44 PM
lexuz125th
Driver

Please post an update of your after market rotors. Based on track performance, would raybestos rotors with factory pads be a good setup.
Old 04-11-12, 04:57 AM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

can the oem rotors be machined?
im due for pads front and rear
but the rotors are worn abit
Old 04-13-12, 10:52 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
can the oem rotors be machined?
im due for pads front and rear
but the rotors are worn abit
they can, but lobux and others will tell you it's a waste of rotor thickness/life.

on another note... 2 days ago I was at the track with my new Carbotech XP 10's (front) and 8's (rear) and WOW what a difference... a mild-moderately more bite than OEM, but NO FADE!!!!
I'll try to use these pads for my DD pads during the track season (about 6 months here) so I won't have to be changing pads all the time..... They are slightly noisier and ? dust more than OEM pads however... but definitely livable for me...
Old 04-17-12, 03:22 AM
Legato
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ OEM Front rotors have not changed to my knowledge.....

Front Brakes Info
  • Front Rotors OEM Part # 43512-0W060

Now I know for a fact the OEM Front pads have indeed changed this past summer and for 2012
  • OLD Front Pads Part # 04465-0W120

• NEW Front Pads Part # 04465-0W170

Rear Brakes Info
  • Rear Rotors OEM Part # 42431-0W030

The rear pads changed sometime last year (2010) I think....
  • OLD Rear Pads Part # 04466-0W030

• NEW Rear Pads Part # 04466-0W031

~ Joe Z

Does anyone know what change was made? Are they producing less dust now? Has anyone ordered from Sewell recently and received the new pads?

Toyota Sweden wants $750 for a set of front pads!!! So crazy...

Just ordered a pair of rotors for $246 from here: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ake_rotor.html

Seems like a great price compared to the $562 at Sewell...

Last edited by Legato; 04-17-12 at 03:51 AM.
Old 04-17-12, 04:09 AM
Legato
Driver

Originally Posted by Legato
Does anyone know what change was made? Are they producing less dust now? Has anyone ordered from Sewell recently and received the new pads?

Toyota Sweden wants $750 for a set of front pads!!! So crazy...

Just ordered a pair of rotors for $246 from here: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ake_rotor.html

Seems like a great price compared to the $562 at Sewell...
Hmm found the item number at Sewell and it is "04465-0W120", IE the old one. Surprises me that they are not selling the new parts?

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)