IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New IS F Short Ram Intake from AFE/Takeda

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 01:57 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by clifftrail
I'll agree to your idea if you pay for shipping back to me and I'll pay for shipping to you. Let me know as I'm curious what the real results would be and I'm probably not going to have it done.
Sounds good. I'll send you a PM.
Old 03-06-10, 03:34 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Sounds good. I'll send you a PM.
Your PM sounds fine, I'll contact you when I get it. You have to clear out some space on your mailbox though, its full and I couldn't send you a msg back.
Old 03-06-10, 03:45 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by clifftrail
Your PM sounds fine, I'll contact you when I get it. You have to clear out some space on your mailbox though, its full and I couldn't send you a msg back.
Sorry about that, but my Inbox is now cleared out. It sounds like we have a pretty good plan. J
Old 03-06-10, 06:14 PM
waynetech2
Pole Position

Hey James, I'll do a similar deal with you.. YOU buy the new headers, and I'LL do the dyno test!!! Whatca think buddy?? don't worry I'll even take care of shipping to and from my house!!
Old 03-07-10, 04:38 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Some wheeling and dealing going on..lol I am curious to see this alleged gains...

Last edited by LexISguy; 03-07-10 at 04:42 AM.
Old 03-09-10, 12:38 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I just installed the AFE drop-in tonight. I know butt dynos don't mean anything, but I do feel like the car is breathing better and accelerating smoother. Whereas before it felt like a surge comes when the 2nd intake opens up, now the surge comes a bit earlier, and the sound is def. more pronounced and more throaty at an earlier rpm. Those who have it let me know if this is consistent with your experience. I'd be interested to know the result of the takeda short ram as well.
Old 03-09-10, 10:10 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

order mine last week, but still have not received shipping confirmation. BTW, i believe there is a $25 rebate if purchase is made between March 1st and May 31st.

i found this article on line. some of you might find it interesting.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Old 03-09-10, 11:20 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Hate to be a skeptic here but I'm so down on these intakes. Though this newer design looks to be a smarter design in terms of avoiding heat soak from the engine...but I'm not sure it will perform better than the JOE-Z.

Just found this. They claim "up to 50hp" on ISX50's....Don't think so.

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/stag...92-p-4948.html
Old 03-10-10, 12:09 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Hate to be a skeptic here but I'm so down on these intakes. Though this newer design looks to be a smarter design in terms of avoiding heat soak from the engine...but I'm not sure it will perform better than the JOE-Z.

Just found this. They claim "up to 50hp" on ISX50's....Don't think so.

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/stag...92-p-4948.html
The only problem with the link you provided is that the "they" is not AFE but a vendor trying to sell intakes. The link has a bunch of generic text attached to an add designed to make you think that this particular intake shown for the ISX50 can provide up to a 50hp increase.

The actual AFE pdf on their site tells a different story. It shows a gain of 13hp and 11 ft. lbs of tq. If you click on the "product detail" tab you'll see a pdf much like the one for the IS F. I'm not saying that any claims made by anyone should be believed but if we want to be skeptical and compare claims by the manufacturer we should at least go the the manufacturers site to make it fair.

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...08&&brandID=78
Old 03-10-10, 06:45 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Well, just an update. Got the intake on Monday and installed tonight. Easy install and well made. There is a hole in the sealed box (like the picture) so its not completely sealed like the details may lead us to believe. I believe the reason they did this though is because the cone filter they are using is too large at the base and extends out a little where that cutout is.

That space is also very tight when all the factory plastic is back on so I assume they decided it was not a issue over fighting with to get it completely sealed. I'm a little disappointed that AFE seemed to develop it this far and then leaves an opening. Don't know if it impact performance, guess summer time driving in NM will tell me more.

Either way, haven't driven it yet so no impressions but the overall product is very well constructed and should provide similar benefits to a typical intake.

Not going to be sending it to Caymandive because when he saw the window in the intake decided dyno testing wouldn't be worth the time. No sweat, thanks for considering it anyway, just lets me install it faster while I still have some moderately cold weather to play around in.
Old 03-10-10, 07:07 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Angry

i received mine today and i am not impressed with the quality.

1st of all, the air box is made of cheap steel plate and weighs at least 2-3 lbs. why not a plastic or aluminum? both offer much better heat insulation and light weight. the aluminum intake looks fine on the outside, but the welds are horrible when i looked inside the tubing. pieces of welding material protrude into the tube and are actually very rough. minor things, but i expect a $ 400 intake to do a much better job.
the over all design is not great either. the mid section of the aluminum intake is actually narrowed to 3" while the end sections are wider at 3.5". the air filter has an opening that is much larger than the intake and requires step down adapter to connect to the intake.

over all, i feel the design is acceptable, but the assembly and weld quality are poor. i am not familiar with their filters, but judged by the quality of the intake, i am not risking my $60k car with their filter. it definitely does not look like ad $400 intake.

i have made a cold air intake using the stock plastic tube and an aluminum airbox. mine costed me no more than $ 40 including the filter. this thing is 10 times more and looking only marginally better and weighs a lot more.

i definitely do not recommend this intake unless you have solid evidence about its performance in terms of horse power gain and filtration efficiency.
Old 03-10-10, 07:08 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

try to post pics of the opening so that others will know before they buy. not saying that it is bad but to let the buyer know what to expect when it comes.
Old 03-10-10, 09:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Well, it came today. Two hours after receipt, it was on the car. I downloaded the installation instructions before I received it and familiarised myself with the installation procedure, so I was ready to go. The opening in the front is necessary because the filter is larger than the housing on that side. IMO, the quality of the kit is very good and I believe it is well engineered. The shroud is good quality metal and is crinkle powder coated. All in all a well designed unit. As far as sound goes - Reving up with the hood open, you can now hear that open element sucking sound, although it's very quiet. At WOT, sounds pretty much the same, but a wee bit louder. At mild acceleration, it sounds more throaty. It's too early to tell if there is a performance difference. I'm happy with my choice.

My JoeZ and K&N Drop-In Filter is for sale here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...-for-is-f.html

Lou
Attached Thumbnails New IS F Short Ram Intake from AFE/Takeda-takeda-ram-tube1s.jpg   New IS F Short Ram Intake from AFE/Takeda-takeda-ram-tube2s.jpg   New IS F Short Ram Intake from AFE/Takeda-takeda-ram-tube3s.jpg   New IS F Short Ram Intake from AFE/Takeda-takeda-ram-tube4s.jpg   New IS F Short Ram Intake from AFE/Takeda-takeda-ram-tube5s.jpg  

Old 03-11-10, 12:46 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

^Why don't you go get a dyno done with the new intake, and then another run done switching back to the JZ!
Old 03-11-10, 01:05 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Well, it came today. Two hours after receipt, it was on the car. I downloaded the installation instructions before I received it and familiarised myself with the installation procedure, so I was ready to go. The opening in the front is necessary because the filter is larger than the housing on that side. IMO, the quality of the kit is very good and I believe it is well engineered. The shroud is good quality metal and is crinkle powder coated. All in all a well designed unit. As far as sound goes - Reving up with the hood open, you can now hear that open element sucking sound, although it's very quiet. At WOT, sounds pretty much the same, but a wee bit louder. At mild acceleration, it sounds more throaty. It's too early to tell if there is a performance difference. I'm happy with my choice.

My JoeZ and K&N Drop-In Filter is for sale here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...-for-is-f.html

Lou
Thanks for the detailed pics from different angles. Those pics you took are much better and show more angles of the intake installed than the pdf instructions AFE has on their site .

Quick Reply: New IS F Short Ram Intake from AFE/Takeda