IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Nicest-Cleanest-BEST-NON-Rice-9005 DRL LED???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 06:02 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine turned off, then on again. I noticed to me the area was yellowish... I am considering LED DRL's my friend can get me some but they somewhat flicker at night, but I assume during the day there hardly noticable.
Old 02-23-10, 08:07 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL I'm reading some of the comments in here....but sorry but if that Lexus^ with the puddle lights above don't look rice at night, I dunno what is If you pulled up to any classy restaurant with lights like that all over the place my gosh!

Just having some 6000k LED's for DRL's however is just an improvement over stock so I have no clue why you are worried if that is rice.......?

**ONE good point mentioned however is that with LED upgrades for DRL's you do technically lose your high beam function so that is something you want to keep in mind. If you want high beams just get some replacement PIAA bulbs that are a higher "K" but still maintain the filament 9005 bulb.

The flickering some of you guys are experiencing is due to the LED not getting enough current as it passes through in the forward direction. Most of these diodes generally have a minimum applied voltage to get the electrons to start moving and generate light output. Since it only flows in one direction this is why LED's if connected in reverse won't work as it acts more as an insulator. The Lexus headlight circuit for the high beam only generates about 6 volts to illuminate the 9005 bulb partially (hence DRL's) which is fine for a filament bulb but 6 bolts is a bit too low for a LED bulb to work. We wire a simple booster circuit to amplify the voltage to 12 volts where the LED can work to it's maximum potential (no flickering). Sorry for the technical explanation but this is pretty cool stuff IMO.

I'm sure most of you have seen my car by now but this is the final result, all 6000k lighting in my car. I hardly ever turn on my HID fogs but I do like the yellow lense look.

Name:  IMG_2351.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  1.04 MB

rick

Last edited by s4play; 02-23-10 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 08:27 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They lied to you.
ur right i asked on my first service and they did it in minutes. i rather have them off. i usually run with my head lamps on. was wondering can u have the headlights on all the time but during the day have ur rear lights off? On my 2004 SL55 i had the headlamps on all the time and at night the rear came on.
Old 02-23-10, 08:34 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
ur right i asked on my first service and they did it in minutes. i rather have them off. i usually run with my head lamps on. was wondering can u have the headlights on all the time but during the day have ur rear lights off? On my 2004 SL55 i had the headlamps on all the time and at night the rear came on.
i asked about that, but was told no.

but i had my DRL's turned off (now run lights on constantly, turns off in 60secs after i leave the car) and programmed the touch handle to open all doors instead of just the driver's. there's a whole list of available customizations somewhere in CL.

btw, i like the lights rick

Last edited by malujerry; 02-23-10 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 09:15 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by malujerry
i asked about that, but was told no.

but i had my DRL's turned off (now run lights on constantly, turns off in 60secs after i leave the car) and programmed the touch handle to open all doors instead of just the driver's. there's a whole list of available customizations somewhere in CL.

btw, i like the lights rick
hmm...all my doors open when i touch the door handle...i didn't know that was an option. maybe the previous owner did me a favor...

guess i'll look for that list...
Old 02-23-10, 01:04 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by n0th1ng
i went to South Bay Lexus located in Torrance tried Glendale Lexus and Crown Lexus @ Ontario..

anyone from Socal went to dealer to get them turned off?
Longo Lexus in El Monte turned mine off.

and as for unlocking all four doors when you approach the vehicle, i opted not to have it done for security purposes. im usually the only one who gets into the car, unless its with my gf or some of her gal pals, and so i dont mind approaching the car from the right passenger side (thats when it unlocks all the doors at once). that way i can open the doors for the ladies, as any guy should.

i drove an older lexus one time, and once i hit the unlock button, all four doors opened. i was at school, and there was a homeless person right near where i parked. she was approaching the car and sure enough she got in. i was scared out of my mind. i tried getting in faster to lock all the doors, but i didnt notice until it was too late. she was asking for food and/or money, and i just gave her the change from my coin holder. i know it didnt seem like much, but to have all four doors available for entrance at any given time can become a security issue.

Last edited by bnizzle87; 02-23-10 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 01:49 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Longo Lexus in El Monte turned mine off.

and as for unlocking all four doors when you approach the vehicle, i opted not to have it done for security purposes. im usually the only one who gets into the car, unless its with my gf or some of her gal pals, and so i dont mind approaching the car from the right passenger side (thats when it unlocks all the doors at once). that way i can open the doors for the ladies, as any guy should.

i drove an older lexus one time, and once i hit the unlock button, all four doors opened. i was at school, and there was a homeless person right near where i parked. she was approaching the car and sure enough she got in. i was scared out of my mind. i tried getting in faster to lock all the doors, but i didnt notice until it was too late. she was asking for food and/or money, and i just gave her the change from my coin holder. i know it didnt seem like much, but to have all four doors available for entrance at any given time can become a security issue.
Thanks.. i'll try them probably sometime next week.. i have to get my rear speakers replaced... they poped
Old 02-23-10, 04:29 PM
anson89
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's mine:

DRL2.jpg?t=1259105376

DRL6.jpg?t=1259105379

I'm selling them if you want it
Old 02-23-10, 05:14 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Nice pics Rick where did you get the LED strip next to your fogs? Are they on all the time?
Old 02-23-10, 05:35 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
LOL I'm reading some of the comments in here....but sorry but if that Lexus^ with the puddle lights above don't look rice at night, I dunno what is If you pulled up to any classy restaurant with lights like that all over the place my gosh!

I'm sure most of you have seen my car by now but this is the final result, all 6000k lighting in my car. I hardly ever turn on my HID fogs but I do like the yellow lense look.

rick
Dude do you really think i drive with them on like neon under glow? LOL. They turn on / Off with my dome light and when i open / close the door and when i unlock / lock the car with my key fob. There just for parking really...and Im not the one with yellow hids and audi leds near fogs lol...6 leds for a drl??..If YOU pulled into a classy restaurant with lights like that people would be like oh look an Audi, oh wait no, its a Lexus with Audi light. WTF?!... All to his own i guess

Last edited by JoshIS408; 02-23-10 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 08:09 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
Dude do you really think i drive with them on like neon under glow? LOL. They turn on / Off with my dome light and when i open / close the door and when i unlock / lock the car with my key fob. There just for parking really...and Im not the one with yellow hids and audi leds near fogs lol...6 leds for a drl??..If YOU pulled into a classy restaurant with lights like that people would be like oh look an Audi, oh wait no, its a Lexus with Audi light. WTF?!... All to his own i guess
i like the fog led lights! puddle lamps are just not my style but i can say urs look good for what they are. i have seen some crappy ones that look uneven etc! Rick i will text u tomorrow and if i forget text me where i can get those led strips!
Old 02-23-10, 10:15 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
i like the fog led lights! puddle lamps are just not my style but i can say urs look good for what they are. i have seen some crappy ones that look uneven etc! Rick i will text u tomorrow and if i forget text me where i can get those led strips!
Yeah they do look ok...definately not my style, more of an audi // benz thing...but hey people put halos too right?? I was just a bit ticked off that "Rick" goes off calling puddle lights rice when there not. There just a different style i.e. Vip Style. It was also wrong for me to fall into his game and talk about his leds. Just not a good day for me today. We should all stay back on topic though. This thread is about DRLS. Not about whats rice and whats not. There only been one IS X on this board that can be classified rice anyway,(Not a member here). Everyone here on this bored has clean cars keep it up...

Last edited by JoshIS408; 02-23-10 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-24-10, 09:47 AM
ISFfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n0th1ng
i went to South Bay Lexus located in Torrance tried Glendale Lexus and Crown Lexus @ Ontario..

anyone from Socal went to dealer to get them turned off?
Try Tustin Lexus, when i bought my car there they told me that i could have them turned off at my first service if I wanted to
Old 02-24-10, 11:38 AM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

actually... MOST of the isx50s are clean and done up nice on the boards.. ive seen a couple pretty whack ones hahaa

and to the OP
i have a brand new set of these 6000k fs

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...41714-1-2.html
Old 02-24-10, 03:58 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFfan
Try Tustin Lexus, when i bought my car there they told me that i could have them turned off at my first service if I wanted to
thanks.. im gonna try longo first since its closer

Quick Reply: Nicest-Cleanest-BEST-NON-Rice-9005 DRL LED???