IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I wanna get a STI....but....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 10:09 AM
FBTO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wanna get a STI....but....

Hi Guys. I know this is a Lexus forum, but being a previous ISF owner, I thought I could come here to bounce off some thoughts. I am considering buying a 2010 Subaru WRX STI. (My first Subaru) But I am just not 100% sure if it is the best car for me. Also, after reading some of the long term test, the STI seems to take a bit of a beating.

I am basically looking for a fun car, that has a MANUAL tranny. Can fit my young kids (6 and 4) in the back seat once in a while. 4 wheel drive is nice, but not a must. I could do rear wheel drive. Might do a 1 or 2 track days a year. Just wondering if there are any other cars to consider before pulling the trigger on a STI.

Other options?
335xi? (A bit overpriced compared to the value)
EVO X (Not really crazy about the looks)
Golf GTI (Front wheel, and not that strong)
G37x (Too many of them)
Audi A4/S4/S5 (A bit pricey and questionable reliabilty)
Merc and Lexus (No manual)

What other cars are out there that are/can be as fun as a STI? I am so in love with the White/Gold combo. But just don't know if the car is worth the $45k Canadian price tag? In that price range, (plus or minus $5k), what else is available?

Altough I can afford the above listed cars, the pricey ones might not be the best use of my money.

I sold my Lexus ISF last year, and although I loved the power and luxury, I missed the manual tranny.

Any advice?
Old 02-17-10, 10:24 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i loved my 2007 sti but my wife hate that it looked like a rice car! lol! i did not mind, find a 2007 limited does not have the big spoiler.
Old 02-17-10, 10:36 AM
stick
Pole Position

With the other cars you listed and your reasons, I think the STI is still the best bet. There is more aftermarket for the Evo, but looks may be a factor. Subarus have good reliability so I would not worry about that--(the only thing that comes to mind is the oil pickup tube in the oil pan, I don't know if it has been fixed, but there are aftermarket parts for it).

I've still thought about getting an STI too.
Old 02-17-10, 10:45 AM
MINO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been a suby fan for a long time. Tune and mod them as a weekend job. I had a 2002 wrx for 8.5 years. Beat and tuned the **** out of it and it was still running strong when I sold it with 120K miles. Self maintenance was easy and relatively cheap. The problem I had was my business was growing and showing up in my wrx or evo to a meeting had an air of youthfull irresponsibility.

I was cross-shopping the Legacy SpecB, the STi (the hatch matured the car a little), and the ISF. The Legacy SpecB was basically a refined STi. Same engine and tranny, just detuned with a smaller turbo and intercooler. The SpecB is no longer available, but the 2010 GT Limited is available with a 6-speed. It's not the prettiest car, but it's tuneable, fun, has room for the kids, cheap to maintain and has luxury amenities similar to the Lexus IS. They also hold resale well. STi has a smallish back seat in comparison, perfect until your kids hit their teen years.

I've loved BMW's but would never buy one after seeing what my friend went through on his 2001 330i. It completely went downhill after the warranty. Trans needed to be replaced. Door locks would malfunction (serious safety issue), all window regulators went out, etc. Parts were extravagantly expensive. Not to mention when it came time to sell it: He got $4k for it. I got $12k for my WRX. If you go with the BMW, I'd lease it or get rid of it after the warranty. The 335s are easy to tune but I have concern about the number of Fuel Pump failures they've been having.

Another friend has an EvoX. Handles great. Eats more gas than my F. Easy to mod. Rear seat doesn't fold down... very small trunk. Not very practical for loading stuff.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 02-17-10, 10:53 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

of the ones you listed, the STI or the EVO X would suit the bill. though they have a plethora of aftermarket vendors and parts, those two are still the best options available. the bimmer is more for tuning and thus probably would not accomodate the kids all too well. the golf gti would not suit your need to hit the tracks, even with adequate tuning. g37 is becoming all too known on the streets, which i think is a turnoff. and the audi models listed are very fast and gives plenty of room for the kids, but a car being fast as stock generally means more money to shell out (much better to put towards a college funds i think).

the STI would work because im guessing the aftermarket mods, especially in performance, could still be limited. white on gold is absolutely stunning, as i do prefer that over royal blue on gold. i threw in the EVO as a secondary choice simply because it is a great car, reliable from what ive been told, but the aftermarket parts are plenty. some of my friends will mod like crazy, and many are becoming broke by simply adding all the carbon fiber this and the turbo that. the STI in the end would be a great car, and possibly something of a project car with your kids one day. even if they are girls, they might pick up a few tidbits of car maintenance and care from their papa. i can only hope mine feel the same way when they arrive.

best of luck sir!
Old 02-17-10, 11:00 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

There's also the AWD R32. As long as you stay away from the ones that have been beat on and/or modified youll be fine. You really cant go wrong with any of those choices
Old 02-17-10, 11:30 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just get what u really want...

and thats a F
Old 02-17-10, 11:44 AM
FBTO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hahahaf
just get what u really want...

and thats a F
I do miss it, but I thought since I get to pick again, I really want a manual car. I am actually borrowing an F this weekend. Gonna see if that gets my juices going again for the F.

If the F came in manual, then there would be no discussion.
Old 02-17-10, 12:01 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, I think the STi fits your needs. However, I read that the WRX actually keeps up with the STi now, so the WRX is a better value. You might want to look into that.

How about a manual M3?
Old 02-17-10, 12:12 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

The new Audi S4 should be test driven (it's very nice and less than $50K with a light hand on the options) , I'll assume pricey or not that you can afford it. And as someone mentioned the standard grade WRX is a much better deal. The STI is kind of overpriced for the extra that it brings to the table vis-a-vis the WRX hatch.
Old 02-17-10, 12:12 PM
FBTO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by primecut
Yea, I think the STi fits your needs. However, I read that the WRX actually keeps up with the STi now, so the WRX is a better value. You might want to look into that.

How about a manual M3?
would love an m3, but can't justify the price.
Old 02-17-10, 12:17 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id def. go with the Suburu or the Audi.
Old 02-17-10, 01:52 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I'm considering a 2010 STI myself. They are fun cars. The hatch is a EXTREMELY practical car. You can fit a ton of stuff back there.

If you get it make sure you get an AccessPort from COBB and flash to Stage 1 map since the stock tune on the new STI is not so great.

Let us know what you decide on!
Old 02-17-10, 01:58 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FBTO
I do miss it, but I thought since I get to pick again, I really want a manual car. I am actually borrowing an F this weekend. Gonna see if that gets my juices going again for the F.

If the F came in manual, then there would be no discussion.
That is the reason why I sold the IS250 it was to slow and it was an auto. I was going to get an IS350 but still no manual.

You sold your F once. Follow your gut and get a manual.
Old 02-17-10, 02:09 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a Sportcross.....then swap the tranny to a manual! =)

Someone above mentioned the 07 STI limited. That car is a beauty and fun to drive.

If you want new....then I vote for the STI as well. I had an 06 WRX wagon and it was a blast to drive. I sometimes wish I had it back.....GL with your decision.

Quick Reply: I wanna get a STI....but....