IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IsF Strut Bar by Gt Spec???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 12:32 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ do u have the rest of the gt spec braces? i wanna do all the tomes or all the gt spec. toms eguals about 2500 gt spec under 1k
Old 02-05-10, 02:47 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
^^^ do u have the rest of the gt spec braces? i wanna do all the tomes or all the gt spec. toms eguals about 2500 gt spec under 1k
The big question is how effective will all the bracing be? You can install all those braces but if they aren't designed properly, they will be nothing more than dead weight. The GT Strut brace is attractive from a cost standpoint, but design standpoint it's not nearly as well designed as the TOM's...Darshana S...
Old 02-05-10, 03:53 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have read from most ppl on here I think it will be more of a Form look then function. So the true test will be at the track. but with most of the suspensions available the need for this will never be met. I am willing to try them out, but with our chassis I think it wont be much difference. BUT, to a nice clean design..
Old 08-25-10, 10:42 AM
Dannyj444
Driver School Candidate

two bolts and the middlebar comes off no need to take the whole thing off. Lazy if two bolts scare ya away from it lol...
Old 08-29-10, 09:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Dannyj444
two bolts and the middlebar comes off no need to take the whole thing off. Lazy if two bolts scare ya away from it lol...
Yeah, but that's exactly what makes it so non-functional. Two pivot bolts when it needs to be a solid bar.
Old 08-29-10, 10:20 PM
luciush
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
I have all the toms pieces brand new in a box. Lmk if you want to buy them off of me!!!
Old 08-29-10, 10:25 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

After having my IS-F since 2008 and tossing the car around and pushing it has hard as I can around twisties, I've come to realize the IS-F is a pretty damn stiff car from the factory. The only bracing mod I've done is the F-sport rear sway bar which took away the understear and made the car more neutral and a Tanabe Front Under brace (which I really didn't feel very much of a difference when I installed it). I suspect that all these bracing pieces don't do anything more than adding additional weight...Darshana S..
Old 08-30-10, 02:39 PM
Damage
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
After having my IS-F since 2008 and tossing the car around and pushing it has hard as I can around twisties, I've come to realize the IS-F is a pretty damn stiff car from the factory. The only bracing mod I've done is the F-sport rear sway bar which took away the understear and made the car more neutral and a Tanabe Front Under brace (which I really didn't feel very much of a difference when I installed it). I suspect that all these bracing pieces don't do anything more than adding additional weight...Darshana S..
My S2K, a convertible, was/is stiffer than the ISF. I can hear my dash creaking when I go diagonally onto a driveway.
Old 12-14-11, 11:18 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Reviving this 1.5 year+ old thread from the dead.....anyone install the GTSPEC strut bar and have any input?
Old 12-14-11, 02:18 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Reviving this 1.5 year+ old thread from the dead.....anyone install the GTSPEC strut bar and have any input?
I'm curious too and was thinking of getting this or the Tom's.
Old 12-14-11, 05:23 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if u guys read the earlier post, its just dead weight and no function. ur paying for looks no improvement in handling. I would suggest getting the rear sway bars. that will make the car more neutral. hehehe. don't ask me how i know. lets just say i experienced this myself now.
Old 12-14-11, 08:02 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ahve the gt spec top tie bar and i cut the covers so that it would fit back on i will post pics after it aint that great but it sure looks better with the covers back on it..as for the pivot points..from what i see the tops one has one too...cause the base part of the tops strut bar looks almost the same as the gt spec if u ask me...i never seen it in person so i can't say although i would swap the gt spec for the toms since i have the toms lower front n rear tie bars on my car right now...the difference with the tie bars are big and noticable..now i just have to get my hands on a set of kw v3's, the rear strut bar and the toms cross brace and i will be all good for my suspention..
Old 12-14-11, 08:17 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh and the only reason people can't feel the strut bar is because everyone that puts it on isn't racing their car...only under harsh turns will u feel it working a little...it also helps if u have the rest of the braces on as well..imo
Old 12-15-11, 07:18 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
if u guys read the earlier post, its just dead weight and no function. ur paying for looks no improvement in handling. I would suggest getting the rear sway bars. that will make the car more neutral. hehehe. don't ask me how i know. lets just say i experienced this myself now.
Teo you installed the rear sway !?!??!
Old 12-15-11, 07:48 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
I did read the entire thread, but I kept looking at the pic of the spec gt bar thinking that it should work for keeping things stable horizontally, but just now I see their point in vertical instability given the 2 pivot points... After thinking about this a while, this is probably the majority of the forces that are put on a strut bar and finally see that this is a flawed design..
I also noticed the Icode strut bar has the same type of pivot points.....

Last edited by ERDoc74; 12-15-11 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: IsF Strut Bar by Gt Spec???