IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is the IS-F affected by the massive Toyota RECALL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 05:23 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my recall notice last week to have the gas pedal changed and possibly the floor mats too.
I was surprised that the IS-F was included in the recall but they are up here in Canada anyway.

C.
Old 01-27-10, 07:02 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You working for Toyota or what?

The floormat recall was a BS sweeping-under-the-rug campaign and they know it. Toyota even declared sticky gas pedal was not a designed issue earlier on. WTF a sticky gas pedal recall and haul production now?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-recall-2.html

Originally Posted by flipside909
Man...some of you guys are taking this way out of proportion. The only affected models are listed here. Note they are all North American made. NO LEXUS MODELS ARE AFFECTED.

The ISF is made exclusively in Japan as with all Lexus models except the RX350 which is made in Cambridge Ontario Canada and Japan.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...ry-102572.aspx

Toyota’s accelerator pedal recall and suspension of sales is confined to the following Toyota Division vehicles:

2009-2010 RAV4,
2009-2010 Corolla,
2009-2010 Matrix,
2005-2010 Avalon,
Certain 2007-2010 Camry,
2010 Highlander,
2007-2010 Tundra,
2008-2010 Sequoia
Old 01-27-10, 07:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

No I am not an employee or paid by Toyota.

My intent here is to educate our members with facts. Not media hype. The floor mat incident with the ES and the CHP officer is purely coincidental. The recall/production hault is specific to North American made Toyota models. I suggest everyone read the facts instead of jumping to conclusions and generalizing the media headlines.

Originally Posted by avgj0F
You working for Toyota or what?

The floormat recall was a BS sweeping-under-the-rug campaign and they know it. Toyota even declared sticky gas pedal was not a designed issue earlier on. WTF a sticky gas pedal recall and haul production now?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-recall-2.html
Old 01-27-10, 07:19 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only facts we have is from Toyota and you think they are fact? How do we know, for a fact, that the sticky pedal doesn't apply to "Japan-made Lexus" models? Either way, I got my wife to learn how to stop the engine with press and hold the start/stop button for 3 secs thing while doing over xxx mph

My intent here is to educate our members with facts. Not media hype. The floor mat incident with the ES and the CHP officer is purely coincidental. The recall/production hault is specific to North American made Toyota models. I suggest everyone read the facts instead of jumping to conclusions and generalizing the media headlines.
Old 01-27-10, 07:36 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Why wouldn't they be fact? Toyota is not in the business to publish erroneous info. If they didn't care about their products, they would't have made a decision to halt production and issue a recall. The issues reside mainly with the vehicles listed in their formal statement. If you don't believe what they say, that is your opinion. The facts are no Lexus or Scion models are affected by this recall at this time.

The only facts we have is from Toyota and you think they are fact? How do we know, for a fact, that the sticky pedal doesn't apply to "Japan-made Lexus" models? Either way, I got my wife to learn how to stop the engine with press and hold the start/stop button for 3 secs thing while doing over xxx mph
Old 01-27-10, 08:50 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not teach her just to put the car in neutral and gently apply the brakes ? That'll work too.
Old 01-28-10, 06:27 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timeToy
Why not teach her just to put the car in neutral and gently apply the brakes ? That'll work too.
Aren't the transmissions electrically controlled without cutouts. Where the ECM determines wheter a lockout might've just been accidental and it'll keep it in gear?

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...-entire-lineup looks like Lexi' get the brake over-ride on the DBW system as well ?
Old 01-28-10, 07:24 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timeToy
I agree, shutting the car down at high speed with out steering and brake assist is not a good idea.
Old 01-28-10, 09:47 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all about driving experience, your level of confidence behind the wheel and your reaction to the given events that happen.

When people panic and over compensate, it can lead to fatal results.

Given the CHP story, I would have thought he would have much more experience with a situation like that. It's all about panic reaction can you control it or not.

And no, lexus is not on the list. LOL

Every car manufacture has it's defects, Toyota and Lexus are not immune to that fact.

Glad to see they are taking action to fix the problem.
Old 01-28-10, 08:29 PM
12ichard
Rookie

ALL MEDIA HYPE!!! The ES350 involved in the crash had a different floor mat that was all weather! Also, it was the passenger side floor mat that was placed on the drivers side! Passenger side floor mats ar pretty much 90 degrees corners on the upper right side... Once again lets not jump to conclusions. There are alot of other brands out there that are even worse! dont wanna say the names... LoL IM WITH U FLIPSIDE909!
Old 01-28-10, 08:42 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 12ichard
ALL MEDIA HYPE!!! The ES350 involved in the crash had a different floor mat that was all weather! Also, it was the passenger side floor mat that was placed on the drivers side! Passenger side floor mats ar pretty much 90 degrees corners on the upper right side... Once again lets not jump to conclusions. There are alot of other brands out there that are even worse! dont wanna say the names... LoL IM WITH U FLIPSIDE909!
Honestly, I think its all propaganda.

Our economy sucks right now, and people in the U.S. buying Toyota cars isn't helping out our economy. I think they just blew this all out of proportion from one single accident. (the guy and his family in the ES, RIP)

They want to give Toyota a bad name from this incident, and the media wants US to buy American made cars instead of Japanese cars. And doing so will help out our American economy.
Old 01-28-10, 08:47 PM
RickyCRX
Driver School Candidate

This is all blown so far out of proportion... My '07 5.7L Tundra had a "sticky gas pedal" that I complained about recently. It had been like that for over a year, but slowly got worse enough to the point I figured I'd get it taken care of. The service advisor said, "Ohh, all the Tundras do that..." I told him he's full of it and it needs to be fixed. None of my three other Toyotas have the problem. Turns out, they did "notice the problem" and replaced the gas pedal assembly under warranty. This was about 2 months ago and it is like driving a new vehicle again. The "stickiness" was only when you tried to tip-in on the throttle. It made it very hard to get moving off the line smoothly without breaking the necks of your passengers... Now it is super smooth and easy to drive smoothly, as it should be. With that said, the problem never once caused the gas pedal to fail to return to the 'idle' position immediately when I took my foot off the throttle.
Old 01-28-10, 08:49 PM
12ichard
Rookie

Originally Posted by boosted86

Our economy sucks right now, and people in the U.S. buying Toyota cars isn't helping out our economy. I think they just blew this all out of proportion from one single accident. (the guy and his family in the ES, RIP)

They want to give Toyota a bad name from this incident, and the media wants US to buy American made cars instead of Japanese cars. And doing so will help out our American economy.
GOOD POINT! Never thought of it that way!
Old 01-28-10, 09:04 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

Originally Posted by boosted86

I agree it's all blown out of proportion, but I don't think it has anything to do with some conspiracy to give Toyota a bad name to promote buying American. Shutting down production at all those American plants that make vehicles that happen to have a foreign name on them isn't helping our economy either. In addition to the (hopefully!) temporary job losses, people don't necessarily buy an American made American car when they pass on the Toyota that isn't even an option this weekend.

I wonder what % of all Toyota cars are / have been made in the US compared to, say, my (thankfully Sold!) POS Dodge Ram that was made in Me'hico
Old 01-29-10, 01:40 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

To further clear the air with FACTS rather than the over exaggerated media hype....here's a FAQ published just recently by Toyota:

FAQ: For Sticking Accelerator Pedal Recall and Suspension of Sales

Quick Reply: Is the IS-F affected by the massive Toyota RECALL?