IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 06:27 PM
mseigle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission

as many of you know, when the transmission is in drive and you accelerate hard, sometimes the transmission cannot shift out of second gear for four -- eight seconds, even if you pull the upshift paddle. have any of your dealers been able to fix this for you? is it a software problem in the ECU?
Old 01-25-10, 08:28 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mseigle
as many of you know, when the transmission is in drive and you accelerate hard, sometimes the transmission cannot shift out of second gear for four -- eight seconds, even if you pull the upshift paddle. have any of your dealers been able to fix this for you? is it a software problem in the ECU?
HUH what do you mean? does your car bounce off the rev limiter in 2nd then? I have never had this issue you are talking about. Are you sure it is not in the manual mode? Never heard of this problem and never have I seen others here with this type of problem. Maybe you should get someone to video it while the car is doing this.

GL
Old 01-25-10, 08:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

No, it's not a software problem. There's something wrong with YOUR car. Mine's never done this even at the track on a 102 degree day.
Old 01-25-10, 09:01 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

hahah... i was going reply with what you all put but you beat me to it... never had this issue...
Old 01-25-10, 09:11 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issue here.
Old 01-25-10, 09:20 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is you don't shift while in drive. you shift in manual.
Old 01-25-10, 11:16 PM
12ichard
Rookie

mine does this... happens about once a month... thought it was my driving style but figured out it wasnt. also thought it was cus the tranny was cold but wasnt that either. the last time it happened, drove on freeway for 30 min. then exited and drove local for another 20 min. then all of a sudden it was stuck in second for a good 10 seconds. i even let go of the throttle then re-accelerated but still stuck. knew it wasnt my driving style since it was raining and i was driving very slow... LoL im stumped also but know the techs wont be able to duplicate the problem since it happens once a month. i did do a trans service about 2 weeks ago and hasnt happened since. possible clog in the valve body for the trans? dunno... we'll see...
Old 01-25-10, 11:52 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

ive never heard such a problem. thats quite odd that multiple reports have it at the same gear (2nd). hopefully its nothing major, and more importantly that there is a fix for this problem soon. when i first read the OP, i did agree with 12ichard- there mite be a clog or something preventing the gear to change.
Old 01-26-10, 04:32 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 12ichard
mine does this... happens about once a month... thought it was my driving style but figured out it wasnt. also thought it was cus the tranny was cold but wasnt that either. the last time it happened, drove on freeway for 30 min. then exited and drove local for another 20 min. then all of a sudden it was stuck in second for a good 10 seconds. i even let go of the throttle then re-accelerated but still stuck. knew it wasnt my driving style since it was raining and i was driving very slow... LoL im stumped also but know the techs wont be able to duplicate the problem since it happens once a month. i did do a trans service about 2 weeks ago and hasnt happened since. possible clog in the valve body for the trans? dunno... we'll see...
I have seen the same problem arise, and it is usually following an engagement of the Trac system. Vehicle will shift to second gear and refuse to move. As I am best aware there is NO ECU flash update to rectify this issue.
Old 01-26-10, 06:07 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought this happens only in automatic transmission mode, when you are accelerating really fast and then let off the gas. Doesn't it have something to do with the transmission expecting you to keep accelerating so it holds the gear to prevent... ?

Also, the solution is to flick the shifter into manual. You can then upshift or just flick it back to automatic.
Old 01-26-10, 09:15 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i get the same thing as well. not sure what the problem is but mines doesn't last very long. it stays in second gear for 5 seconds. i let go of the gas pedal and then try to accelerate again, it goes back to normal. let me ask you this, do you have any mods to the car?
Old 01-26-10, 09:25 AM
Cheezypoof
Driver School Candidate

Same issue here. Always 2nd gear. Throwing the shifter into M solves it, otherwise it will eventually upshift if you let up on the throttle, but it takes a good 5-10 seconds as others have reported. No mods to my '08.

I haven't noticed if it's related to a TRAC event but it certainly could be as it seems to be happening more often in snowy/icy conditions.
Old 01-26-10, 11:05 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have noticed same issue with mines....It has been doing it for a while now!!! Another issue i have noticed few times lets say when i am cruising on highway doing 80mph and i step on the accelerator it downshifts fine as it supposed to but before upshifting the RPMS go up like 300-500 RPM and then drops down as it has upshifted!!! Not sure what the problem is...But i have recorded the issue as i know when i go to dealership they will say its normal
Old 01-26-10, 11:18 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I've had it happen twice in my car. Stock '08. It has only happened to me when the car is relatively cold after a morning start within the first ~15 of driving. Always second gear, seems to remedy it's self in 5-10 seconds, lifting off the throttle or shifting into M seems to help. Since I do not ever change the TRAC mode it is not related to that in my car.

I asked the dealer at one time if there were any TCU updates and was told at that time there were not.
Old 01-26-10, 11:18 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, it's not a software problem. There's something wrong with YOUR car. Mine's never done this even at the track on a 102 degree day.
I would not be so quick to single out it being just his car.

Quick Reply: transmission