IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Auto windshield wiper setting: sux

Old 01-22-10, 02:04 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Auto windshield wiper setting: sux

It has been raining cats and dogs in California for the last week. I have had the opportunity to use the windshield wipers in the F. So far the experience sux. I have had the car in twice already for this problem. First time they "adjusted" them (adjusted = did nothing) and the second time I insisted they replace the sensor on the windshield. Sill no better.

The problem. Super erratic function. I will be driving down the road and it will start raining and they do nothing, or, I will be driving down the road, it will be raining, they will be working and then they will stop or take a long pause enough to the point that I cannot see out the window. OR I will be driving down the road, they will be "working" and then I will hit a bump and they will wipe like 5 times in fast succession when there is no increase in rain. If I give the "sensor" on the window (next to the rearview) it will start working with many wipes and then slowing down to what they should be doing, but always eventually going to some thing erratic again or stopping. I'm really frustrated here. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there more to the system than just the sensor at the window that could be replaced? Also the switch on the stalk doesn't seem to do anything for adjusting the sensitivity of the "so called" sensor.

Help!

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 01-22-10 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-22-10, 02:13 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello. I am not sure the sensitivity of the sensor can be adjusted by anything on the stalk but I could be wrong. That being said, I am satisfied with how the auto function works but I generally don't use it because of what it does. Good luck!
Old 01-22-10, 02:28 PM
tryama
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same feelings about the Auto Function. It doesn't seem to act right. I wish it had just a regular, adjustable slow setting like the older cars. It seems like the auto function just isn't up to par and i have to end up either pushing it up to manually wipe or push it down which is usually too fast. So no, I don't think you're alone on this one.
Old 01-22-10, 02:32 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on the thoughts and feelings. After going from my 250 to F, this is one of the features I was looking forward to but met with disappointment. I would like the standard variable low speed option I had on the 250.
Old 01-22-10, 02:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Works fine for me. Of course the easiest solution is to put Rain-X, Aquapel or some other water repellent on your glass, then you don't need them at all as long as you're moving at 35 mph or more.

Truthfully, I dislike wipers most of the time.
Old 01-22-10, 02:36 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Works fine for me. Of course the easiest solution is to put Rain-X, Aquapel or some other water repellent on your glass, then you don't need them at all as long as you're moving at 35 mph or more.

+1, I do the same, and think the wipers work just fine, used them all week.
Old 01-22-10, 02:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

the wipers on my gs350 also doesn't work very well at all. in the 3gs forum you can also see people complaining about it. my ls460l wasn't too impressive neither. a lot of times the wipers don't start fast enough, or they decide to go wild when it's not much rain
Old 01-22-10, 02:39 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-22-10, 02:40 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

I guess I'm not alone here. How disappointing. My 2002 Porsche auto wipers worked perfect. I'm disappointed to learn that 7 years later Lexus doesn't have this one figured out. I'm gonna try the rain-X maybe it will also help the water bead up on the sensor and help it get a better reading.
Old 01-22-10, 02:41 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
the wipers on my gs350 also doesn't work very well at all. in the 3gs forum you can also see people complaining about it. my ls460l wasn't too impressive neither. a lot of times the wipers don't start fast enough, or they decide to go wild when it's not much rain
Exactly what I am dealing with.
Old 01-22-10, 02:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
...I'm gonna try the rain-X maybe it will also help the water bead up on the sensor and help it get a better reading.
Nice thought there! I never considered the Rain-X might actually make the sensor work better, but you're definitely on to something because the sensor detects bead size - it might very well be why I'm not bothered by the auto setting.
Old 01-22-10, 02:44 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1, same here with my IS350, I insisted getting this feature on the IS (coz it works very well on my E350), but left very disappointment like everyone here
Old 01-22-10, 02:51 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Nice thought there! I never considered the Rain-X might actually make the sensor work better, but you're definitely on to something because the sensor detects bead size - it might very well be why I'm not bothered by the auto setting.
Need to give credit here. I found this advise in another CL forum (RX330).

Originally Posted by Lil4X

Try cleaning the glass thoroughly and applying a product like Rain-X that encourages water to bead up on the glass. If it is sheeting off, it may not activate the sensor. As I understand it, the sensor fires a beam of IR light up through the glass (the sensor and IR lamp are contained in the mirror mount) and looks for backscatter caused by the presence of raindrops on the outside surface. If the drops are too fine or there are not enough of them to create a threshold level of backscatter (you set that threshold with the +- switch), you may not be triggering the wipers.

Sometimes I've noticed either that particular section of the windshield isn't getting large enough drops, or that the mist is too fine to detect. A quick coat of Rain-X will help water to bead - and also make the need for the wipers less critical.
Old 01-22-10, 03:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

maybe it's time for me to invest in rainx too

i am also surprised lexus can't get this one right. my bmw sensor works so much better
Old 01-22-10, 08:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Actually PPG Aquapel is easier and a little better than Rain-X. I've been using Rain-X for many years, and read on the 'Net about PPG's Aquapel, so I got some at Pep Boys, and it does what they say with a whole lot longer staying power than Rain-X.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto windshield wiper setting: sux