IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I LOVE my KWV3 coils ~ special thanks Exact and Circuit MS :)

Old 01-20-10, 11:04 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good feedback, but I expect nothing less from KW. Congrats on getting the parts on there.

I have a set sitting in my garage for the past 2 months waiting to be installed.....I need to get around to doing that.
Old 01-20-10, 10:36 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear you got them on and are enjoying them so much! I had a feeling you would like them

Glad we could ge these out to you so quickly, let us know if there is anything else we can do
Old 01-21-10, 09:37 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
^^^ what does that help? Also any specific torque to use on these bolts?
The bushings have a knurled interface which holds them in place. If the suspension is lowered, it will rotate the static sag point which will make the bushing be in torsional preload when the car is sitting. This can lead to squeaking and potential premature wear. The bushings are rubber molded into steel sleaves and do not freely slip. The caster bushing is a little different and can probably withstand much more preload, the other bushings have very little rubber in them. This is something we have seen in gen 1 IS vehicles that have been lowered and it is a step in the service manual. It is probably not likely that yo can access all of them, but a quick loosen and retorque is what is suggested.

I can look up the torque.
Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 01-21-10, 09:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
The bushings have a knurled interface which holds them in place. If the suspension is lowered, it will rotate the static sag point which will make the bushing be in torsional preload when the car is sitting. This can lead to squeaking and potential premature wear. The bushings are rubber molded into steel sleaves and do not freely slip. The caster bushing is a little different and can probably withstand much more preload, the other bushings have very little rubber in them. This is something we have seen in gen 1 IS vehicles that have been lowered and it is a step in the service manual. It is probably not likely that yo can access all of them, but a quick loosen and retorque is what is suggested.

Fig
Toyota recommend this across their entire line of cars and trucks, not just Lexus ISx. It's definitely in the MkIV Supra's service manual.
Old 01-21-10, 11:21 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS

Fig
Good to know FIGS~ thanks for the input! I'm going to have my car aligned and will check the bushings at the same time.

I hit all the usual bumps on the road I always hit driving around town and NO MORE BOTTOMING OUT!
Old 01-22-10, 07:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Rick - there's nothing to "check" about the bushings. It's a procedure most shops (even reputable ones) ignore.
Old 01-23-10, 09:00 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sadly i am selling my KW's but not because i dont like them. I am stepping up to there competition series with remote reservoirs and 3 way dampening... i am glad you love them and with this thread hopefully be able to sell them fast too..
Old 01-24-10, 07:54 PM
awd1973
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s4play
As some of you know, I wasn't a happy camper after dealing with Acute Performance who was a CL vendor...(seems they are not here anymore) They sold me some BC Racing coils that were for an ISx50 so the spring rates were way too soft. At the ride height I wanted to run, everytime I hit a dip in the road, the car would bottom out and my front tires would hit the inner top of the fender. Unless I raised it to stock height it would bottom out no matter what stiffness I ran. Problem: Spring rates for a V6 could not handle the V8's weight plain and simple

By the time I realized you have to revalve the struts and buy new springs, I said screw it and just got the right stuff which I should have done the first time instead of going cheap...haha

Coming to the rescue Circuit Motorsports sold me a set of KWV3's that were IS-F specific and kept me in the loop the entire time on my shipment and got them me FAST. The installation I left to the experts at Exact Motorsports and as always John/Sandy took care of me. The install is a tedious one that involves some cutting of the oem boot to fit the KW's so I'm glad I let them do the work. If you guys ever need install work in the norcal area, there is no reason not to see them!

Long story short, I drove the car home last night and IMMEDIATELY noticed a difference. No more nasty scraping or bottoming out sounds when I hit the same pot holes and dips in the road. Car felt like my old e46 m3 now and I can actually DRIVE the car without worrying about a ridiculously soft suspension! Every bump is not firm but controlled and the car no longer sways and feels super planted on the road. Sweepers on highways have virtually no lean and you can really hit some fast speeds onto the highway even in pouring rain!

Didn't have time for pictures but just wanted to share my experience. KWV3's are top quality and I'm glad I switched ~ money well spent. Just awaiting my new rims now...hehe

One bad vendor, 2 good vendors made my day

rick
BTW, how much did you lower the car wit the new suspension? Any scraping issues?

Based on lobux and FIGS, should we be aware of any issues with the installer with the bushings when getting these installed?
Old 01-24-10, 10:07 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Rick - there's nothing to "check" about the bushings. It's a procedure most shops (even reputable ones) ignore.
No worries mine was done correctly (Just double-checked )

My car is VERY SLAMMED and I like it that way, even at this height I don't scrap anything since I'm very used to driving lowered cars. Besides nothing is low after ownership of my NSX. If I can drive my NSX without scraping I can drive anything. (parked next to a F-car, it makes the F430 look like a true 4x4)

No rubbing, No scraping, No noises, JUST THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!

I'm going to do my final adjustments next week when I get my new rims on the car.
Old 01-24-10, 10:57 PM
awd1973
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Hey Rick,

I can't wait to see pics or possibly check it out when the weather clears up and after you get your rims. I'm still debating as to when to get the KWs.

I need something to push me over the edge.
Old 01-24-10, 11:44 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Circuit Motor sports, are good people to deal with.

I'v heard FIG's is a stand up guy also
Old 01-26-10, 10:59 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by awd1973
Hey Rick,

I can't wait to see pics or possibly check it out when the weather clears up and after you get your rims. I'm still debating as to when to get the KWs.

I need something to push me over the edge.
Sure no problem, once this damn weather clears up...

Hopefully my rims show up in the next week or so and I can finish up my exterior!
Old 04-27-10, 09:17 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

So I thought I'd give a 3 month update on my KW's since I've had mine installed....overall I think I put about 3000 miles on the KW's going into the city and if you guys have ever been to SF you know the roads there are really really bad ~ probably way worse than Chicago winters in some areas! My car is pretty slammed but I have no issues with the roads. Big potholes I try to avoid but the smaller ones don't affect the car. From inside, you can feel the bumps for sure as this isn't a Caddy but it's nothing that is unbearable. Speed bumps can easily be cleared and even the steep driveways are no problem for my car. The backup camera really helps with parking but cruising down Market street or the Embarcadero is no issue as the KW's soak up all the bumps nicely without giving you the GT3 feeling of having your teeth jarred loose!

I've had tons of coilover brands over the years (PSS9, KWv2, KWv3, Tien Flex, Tien RA, BCR (don't get me started on that one), Ground controls+Koni, Stasis, etc) and the one thing that stands out about the KW's is their durability. I had a set in my e46 m3 that pretty much lasted the 5+ years I had it on the car. It never gave me any trouble, creaky sounds or leaks.

As many of you know I went from BCR's with improper spring rates/valving and had tons of issues with those. One of the big reasons for having coils for me is the ability to adjust the final ride height. I prefer a bit of a "raked" look where the front is slightly lower. From a side profile it looks more aggressive and the rears do not look tucked in. Once you add luggage and passengers most rears sag more so I like it to be even with all the dry weight added. The KWV3 spring rates are perfect for the car since most people cannot tell I changed anything on the highway. Dips and bumps in the road are no more concern for slowing down as the shocks absorb it with no problems. With my BCR coils the car would bottom out every time which ate up the fender liner and got really really annoying.

My current settings are set at 3/4 rate for dampening while the rebound is left at stock 50% since there is no reason to touch that on a daily driver. I have been tempted to get this car on the track one day so now I'm eyeing some of the F-sport chassis stiffeners.

I remember a thread a while back someone said those parts are interchangeable but can't find it anymore

hope this helps those who are looking for coils. Spend the money since it's well worth it, don't go cheap like I did the first time and pay twice!

rick
Old 04-27-10, 09:39 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback that is what I have been looking for.
Old 04-27-10, 11:40 AM
HEWITT
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much did you pay for these coilovers ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I LOVE my KWV3 coils ~ special thanks Exact and Circuit MS :)