IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Injen Intake!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 06:02 PM
Sp3nc3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injen Intake!

Did anyone else notice this in the vendor section?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-f-intake.html

Looking at the dyno sheet it looks like the max gain's were +20whp gain and +33 torque gain.

It also looks like its better shielded from the hot engine air than the K&N intake..
Old 12-21-09, 07:10 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 78 Posts

I remember when the K&N intake came out and they claimed +20HP for there intake. If I remember right, many members after installing the intake, taking there cars to the dyno actually only gained about half of that at best.

The first question I would want to know, is if they did there base line and after dyno pulls in 6th gear? I ask since this the closest 1:1 ratio. If it was another gear then I would be even more skeptical of these results.
Old 12-21-09, 07:53 PM
12ichard
Rookie

Interesting.... hmmm who wants to be the first? LoL
Old 12-21-09, 07:57 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

for the price and numbers and INJEN a hugely respected name I feel thats a great price. Awesome fit and finish and respectable numbers. +1 for INJEN..
Old 12-21-09, 08:24 PM
crazee201
Pole Position

Another thing to keep in mind is that there hasn't been any mention of the engine check light. Let's just hope there isn't one for this. I don't mind trying it out for this one since I was extremely disappointed in the K&N intake. K&N - Loss of torque after having it installed and testing it out for a month. Had to send it back and got a full refund.
Old 12-21-09, 10:50 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I dont see how this would make more power than the JoeZ. Its basically the same thing with a larger filter...
Old 12-22-09, 07:20 AM
MINO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I dont see how this would make more power than the JoeZ. Its basically the same thing with a larger filter...
Judging by the one point leaner AFR across the rev range - Wrong diameter pipe, fooling the ECM to think there is less air mass than there really is.
Old 12-22-09, 01:34 PM
abyars
Driver School Candidate

A MUCH CLEANER look than the K&N. I may be selling a K&N soon.
Old 12-22-09, 01:40 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if someone do get it, take it to the strip and see if u gain anything or better timeslips.
Old 12-23-09, 07:53 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see how this intake will be making that many hp. The filter is exposed to the engine bay...
Old 12-23-09, 09:34 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Question
Originally Posted by LexISguy
I dont see how this intake will be making that many hp. The filter is exposed to the engine bay...
Answer
Originally Posted by MINO
Judging by the one point leaner AFR across the rev range - Wrong diameter pipe, fooling the ECM to think there is less air mass than there really is.
Old 12-23-09, 12:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by MINO
It won't stay like that for long. The first O2 sensor is a wideband and the ECM has target AFRs it looks to achieve. If the engine is running leaner than target, it will increase injector duration until it hits target or the range of adjustment is exceeded (and the CEL lights). You only get +/-20% on fuel. The engine starts short term fuel trim as soon as you get into closed loop, and adjusts long term fuel trim based on consistent short term adjustments. The ECM applies LT correction over both open and closed loop maps. The only way to really "fool" the ECM with fuel trim is to allow the OEM settings for everything under 75% throttle opening and only apply corrections when the TPS indicates more than 75% opening. If you don't, then you just get temporary lean until the ECM corrects and you're right back where you started. Anyone tuning Toyotas in the last 20 years knows this...

I'd bet they reset the ECM just before doing these dyno runs to force it lean and get better numbers. It won't last...
Old 12-24-09, 05:49 AM
ISFAIL
Rookie

Originally Posted by I nd ISF
I remember when the K&N intake came out and they claimed +20HP for there intake. If I remember right, many members after installing the intake, taking there cars to the dyno actually only gained about half of that at best.

The first question I would want to know, is if they did there base line and after dyno pulls in 6th gear? I ask since this the closest 1:1 ratio. If it was another gear then I would be even more skeptical of these results.

The gains made by the K&N are legit

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...s_f/index.html
Old 02-15-10, 01:23 PM
cm09578
Lead Lap

any update on this?
Old 02-15-10, 04:32 PM
carlosg
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It won't stay like that for long. The first O2 sensor is a wideband and the ECM has target AFRs it looks to achieve. If the engine is running leaner than target, it will increase injector duration until it hits target or the range of adjustment is exceeded (and the CEL lights). You only get +/-20% on fuel. The engine starts short term fuel trim as soon as you get into closed loop, and adjusts long term fuel trim based on consistent short term adjustments. The ECM applies LT correction over both open and closed loop maps. The only way to really "fool" the ECM with fuel trim is to allow the OEM settings for everything under 75% throttle opening and only apply corrections when the TPS indicates more than 75% opening. If you don't, then you just get temporary lean until the ECM corrects and you're right back where you started. Anyone tuning Toyotas in the last 20 years knows this...

I'd bet they reset the ECM just before doing these dyno runs to force it lean and get better numbers. It won't last...
you nailed it.

Quick Reply: Injen Intake!