IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joe Z Intake and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 03:07 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe Z Intake and Exhaust

I tried searching, but there are so many threads on this that it would have taken me hours to find exactly the information that I wanted.

I am considering swapping out my SurugaSpeed exhaust and getting a Joe Z kit. Now I have a few questions concerning this set up.

1. Is the installation straigth-forward? I will have some help from a friend who is versed in mechanics, but I plan on installing the intake myself.

2. What is the best setup for the intake? I've heard that some people have reported losses when they took out the 2-stage one that comes stock with the car. Essentially, I just want to make the car a bit louder. Performance is just a bonus, but I definitely do not want any losses. What kinds of kits for this are available from Joe Z?

That's about it, I think.
Old 11-29-09, 03:15 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the joe z intake only replaces one bend for the ISF, not both like the K&N which eliminates the dual intake set up and the heat shield...

and you are replacing the surgaspeed for joe z exhaust also? i love my joe z exhaust, i catch people with every trip staring when I roar by.

Last edited by malujerry; 11-29-09 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 12:22 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by malujerry
the joe z intake only replaces one bend for the ISF, not both like the K&N which eliminates the dual intake set up and the heat shield...

and you are replacing the surgaspeed for joe z exhaust also? i love my joe z exhaust, i catch people with every trip staring when I roar by.
+1

The install of the intake is simple just 2 hose clamps. The exhaust in my opinion needs access to a lift or floor jack stands, and 2 people. I had help with my install.

As mentioned above the exhaust sounds great. I thought it was a little loud at first but then it settled down or I got used to and now I could not see the car with out it.
Old 11-30-09, 05:59 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

joe Z is just a tube. as for real hp gains i would have to pass on that. The K & N has proven major gains, easy to install and is A TRUE INTAKE.
Old 11-30-09, 06:21 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisburke
joe Z is just a tube. as for real hp gains i would have to pass on that. The K & N has proven major gains, easy to install and is A TRUE INTAKE.
Has it really been proven?
Old 11-30-09, 06:51 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I don't really care about performance gains. If I wanted that I would get the TT kit. I just wanted awesome sonority... thanks for the insight, guys!
Old 11-30-09, 07:10 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

haha you running K & N? Also what about your "True exhaust system"
Old 11-30-09, 09:13 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
haha you running K & N? Also what about your "True exhaust system"
I've tested the KNN with probes before and the IAT did not seem to be heatsoaked (the air was indeed coming in with a colder charge at a greater flow rate as well.
The true exhaust sounds fine, still modular V8's sound better but the single exit V8 sounded SICK
Old 12-01-09, 11:46 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Are you just saying that because you're sponsored by K&N?

I am a long time fan of K&N products...they are local here in Riverside.
Old 12-01-09, 12:06 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

No, I don't mind the joez tube. But I wanted a true intake and filter set up and well. K&n is to my knowledge the only maker. Sponsored has nothing to do with it because I was buying one anyways and it just worked out that they sponsored me. We know the direction of what I am building my car for. Need I explain my reasoning.
Old 12-03-09, 10:02 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Is there anything else that I can do to the car in order to improve its sonority without compromising its overall reliability?
Old 12-03-09, 11:24 PM
ISFAIL
Rookie

Originally Posted by caymandive
Has it really been proven?
The high-flow K&N intake was exactly what the 5.0L engine was craving, as the dyno posted a gain of 12.9 hp and 4.2 lb-ft of torque over our baseline numbers. The largest gains were recorded at 3,000 rpm, where the IS F posted an improvement of 15 hp and 25 lb-ft of torque.

http://importtuner.automotive.com/11...s-f/index.html

I'm convinced
Old 12-04-09, 02:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I tried searching, but there are so many threads on this that it would have taken me hours to find exactly the information that I wanted.

I am considering swapping out my SurugaSpeed exhaust and getting a Joe Z kit. Now I have a few questions concerning this set up.

1. Is the installation straigth-forward? I will have some help from a friend who is versed in mechanics, but I plan on installing the intake myself.

2. What is the best setup for the intake? I've heard that some people have reported losses when they took out the 2-stage one that comes stock with the car. Essentially, I just want to make the car a bit louder. Performance is just a bonus, but I definitely do not want any losses. What kinds of kits for this are available from Joe Z?

That's about it, I think.

Being that this thread got off topic (I wonder why?), I will give you some direct answers...

1) Yes the installation for the exhaust is straight forward. It's a simple bolt on system and does not require cutting up any parts or components to the OEM Exhaust.
The Oem system can be easily swapped back if you ever decide to sell your car or go in a different direction.
The system has Proven Gains from 22+ rwhp.

2) The Joe Z Intake is again a noninvasive Intake Pipe upgrade.
Utilizing the very functional 2 stage oem intake air box, put there by Lexus Engineers.
The upgraded pipe provides a smoother airflow, a bit more robust sound from the intake system and proven gains of 5+ rwhp.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Joe Z
Old 01-20-10, 06:15 PM
weaponX
Driver School Candidate

Anybody know the best place to buy/order a Joe Z intake & Joe Z exhaust from Canada?

Are there any issues with respect to emissions testing when this system is installed? I know it's a few years down the road but curious to know.

Many thanks.
Old 01-20-10, 07:34 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

first off, congrats on the new F! you're gonna have a blast with it, esp with that m5 in the garage as well. as for the intake/exhaust combo, i hit up Clark @ VIP Auto Salon. Great guy, great customer service, and he'll get you a great deal. i'm getting my exhaust installed either this week or next- hoping the rain subsides enough to get it installed. but i already know its gonna be crazy sexy hearing that exhaust roar a new tune!

Quick Reply: Joe Z Intake and Exhaust