IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

M3 vs IS-F...sort of

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-09, 09:06 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M3 vs IS-F...sort of

On Friday night I took delivery of my 2010 E90 M3. I ordered the car about two months ago after selling my IS-F. I really loved the F, but decided to try something new. Here is a mini review after owning the M3 for a little over 24 hours.

Lets start with the interior. I think the F wins this one easily. It took me very little time to figure out all the controls on the Lexus, while the M3 hasn't been so easy. Granted, the latest version of I-Drive isn't so bad, but the F was easier. Also, the F interior struck me as more upscale. The trim and switch gear had a very solid and classy look about them. The BMW interior seems solid, however it is a bit plain. The gauges are very plain in the BMW compared to the F, however I like the variable redline and shift lights in the M. This seems to be a German thing as I feel most Porsche's don't have the most upscale looking interior.

Exterior is really in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the E90 M3, but I can see some picking the F. What is funny is that i thought the F looked better when I first got it as compared to a few months down the road. Maybe I will start to lose appreciation for the M after a few months. At this point give me the BMW.

Driving. Well, i don't think I've had enough time to really give a good comparison. Until I reach 1200 miles I'm not supposed to exceed 5500 RPM. What I can say is the M3 feels a bit more direct than the F. The steering reminds me of a Porsche 997 except with slightly less feedback. Also, the brakes, while not as potentially potent, have more feel and initial bite. The M car carries its weight well. Overall, I think it will offer a more sporting drive. I will be able to make a better judgment after the break-in period.

Now it is on to the M-DCT vs the 8 speed auto. In auto mode the Lexus wins easily. It feels like any other auto while the M-DCT can get a bit confused and be jerky. The M does an OK job at pretending to be an auto, but it take some getting used to. In manual mode the M-DCT is better, IMHO. The upshifts are at least as fast as the F, however on downshifts the M-DCT is quicker. When I click down two gears the tranny is almost instant in the response. The rev matching is more aggressive in the M due to the faster shifts. I'm still getting used to the M-DCT, but I am pretty happy so far.

I will give a more complete comparison once I've had more time with the M. At this point I'm happy I bought the BMW, but I miss my F a bit. Both cars seem to have their strengths. If I was looking for a daily driver that would also serve as a weekend toy I would probably pick the F. However, if I were looking for a car that could go from the street to the track with minimal setup the M would probably be my choice. Since this car won't be my daily driver I think I made a good choice. I might have bought a 997 had it not been for the fact that I have two small boys, and a four door allows me more opportunities to drive my toy.

Last edited by Cabinetman; 10-17-09 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-17-09, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

awesome car, congrats on your new ride! driven quite a few isf myself already and i agree a lot with your reviews
Old 10-17-09, 09:37 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!....again.

Nice review. It's cool to actually hear an unbiased review from an actual M3 owner. The fanbois on M3post are a bit much to take. It's a great car that I'm sure you will love.
Old 10-17-09, 10:08 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Car is not so good you shoulda kept the F

Last edited by LexFather; 10-17-09 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-17-09, 10:16 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

i love that alpine white... what options did you get? i hated how everything was optioned out.

how's the navigation? for the F, i find it very annoying that it often times does not recognize a location.

lastly, what's the difference on how people treat you? do you get salty looks from IS owners like we do from some 3XX/M3 owners
Old 10-17-09, 11:08 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Nice ride man, Alpine white is def. the way to go on the M, it's a very common color for a reason! he he.

Keep us updated once you break-in the car. Do you plan to keep it stock?
Old 10-18-09, 12:06 AM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

LET the modding begin...
Old 10-18-09, 03:04 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

First off congrats on a amazing machine such as BMW M series.. I understand that you wanted to try something new but from reading your thread i still think you like the "F" at heart. I've never driven the M but i'd have to agree that the interior and exterior are better on the IS-F..

Keep us posted after the break in period...
Old 10-18-09, 05:14 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Damn so much hate on the M3/M3 drivers. Anyways if you are feeling the car is a bit down on low/mid range torque upgrade to a full exhaust header back + ECU tune and your car will feel and be much faster (+50whp/40-50wtq)
Old 10-18-09, 05:57 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by malujerry
i love that alpine white... what options did you get? i hated how everything was optioned out.

how's the navigation? for the F, i find it very annoying that it often times does not recognize a location.

lastly, what's the difference on how people treat you? do you get salty looks from IS owners like we do from some 3XX/M3 owners
Here are the options I got:
M-DCT
Tech Package
Premium Package
19" wheels
Heated seats
Ipod interface
Smartphone integration
Park distance control

To be honest I haven't had enough time with the nav to have any real feeling about it. I'm just now getting comfortable with I-Drive.

So far I have gone under the radar. I haven't noticed many looks at all.

Originally Posted by tmf2004
First off congrats on a amazing machine such as BMW M series.. I understand that you wanted to try something new but from reading your thread i still think you like the "F" at heart. I've never driven the M but i'd have to agree that the interior and exterior are better on the IS-F..

Keep us posted after the break in period...
I do still like the F. I would be perfectly happy if I still had my Lexus. It will take some time before I will know if I like the M3 better.

Originally Posted by MrHarris
Damn so much hate on the M3/M3 drivers. Anyways if you are feeling the car is a bit down on low/mid range torque upgrade to a full exhaust header back + ECU tune and your car will feel and be much faster (+50whp/40-50wtq)
The car seems to get off the line fairly well considering how I am babying the throttle. I doubt I will do a full exhaust as I'm pretty drone adverse. I might put on the Dinan rear section since it looks better than the stock exhaust. I could possibly even step up to the Vanguard ti system if the reports I'm hearing about mild sound increases and no drone are true.
Old 10-18-09, 10:29 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when u wanna run? we can meet off 20 near bryant irvin!
Old 10-18-09, 10:59 AM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice pick up. m3's don't come with a sunroof? Or some do and some don't?
Old 10-18-09, 11:04 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

congrats on the purchase. it does look nice in alpine white. i was also able to test drive the new m3, but at times i felt it was a little cumbersome for my taste. but you bought it because you liked it, and thats all that matters. as one member here stated, it is nice to see an unbiased viewpoint from bimmer owner.
Old 10-18-09, 11:24 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LudeNsoL
that is an option too...
Old 10-18-09, 11:31 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LudeNsoL
It is a stand alone option. Since I ordered the car I was able to spec it without the sunroof. I rarely used the sunroof in past cars I've had so I figured I would save a few bucks. I also think it looks better without it.

Quick Reply: M3 vs IS-F...sort of