IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 05:53 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by verals05
You have to look at it as: 416HP and a 5.0L V8...

How many cars get this kind of gas mileage with our output?
Very true, but believe it or not I get 21-23 on the highway with my GTR. I think I could do better if I stayed out of boost but thats not what it was designed for

But anyway back on topic ming15237 is right on the money. I can drive the exact same way and get different mileage depending on which brand of gas I use. I seem to get worse mileage with cheaper gas like from sams and discount gas places. The best I have gotten in the ISF is 28mpg doing 65-70 on the interstate using the cruise control. I have never tried the snow setting but that sounds like it should work by keeping the car from downshifting when you need to pass or accelerate.
Old 10-09-09, 06:40 PM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I didn't buy this car for the mileage. I honestly couldn't tell you what I get. I fill up, I drive, then I fill up again... all the while with a smile on my face.
Yup, same here. I could care less about mileage.
Old 10-09-09, 08:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I didn't necessarily buy this car for mileage, but for being a 5.0L V8 and thirsty for fuel, I average 23-25mpg on mixed city/hwy driving. I have no complaints. I have nearly 22k miles on my 09 IS F and mileage is very consistent.
Old 10-10-09, 05:18 AM
F BOMB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here. For daily driving, you can have your cake and eat it, too.

Gets a bit more lousy in traffic since it still idles and drinks like an old-fashioned V8.
Old 10-10-09, 08:30 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
several things have a great deal on influence on fuel mileage. First is the driver and their acceleration style. So on the highway this will be reduced greatly with the use of cruise control. I often pit my car in "snow" mode on the highway, this keeps the car from downshifting all the time, a higher gear=better fuel economy...
When using cruise control on the highways and needing to change speeds (either decreasing or increasing), my tack is to change into manual mode. This automatically disables the cruise control, but leaves the car in whatever gear it was in (presumably, 8th) so avoids downshifts.
Old 10-10-09, 08:33 AM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, how do you get 23-25 on mixed driving? i cant even get 23 with 90% freeway.
Old 10-10-09, 11:08 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

several things have a great deal on influence on fuel mileage. First is the driver and their acceleration style. So on the highway this will be reduced greatly with the use of cruise control. I often pit my car in "snow" mode on the highway, this keeps the car from downshifting all the time, a higher gear=better fuel economy, and in my view takes a lot of the nervousness out of the vehicle (i.e. I do NOT want to change lanes if I sneeze!) oil type/weight used has an effect on fuel mileage (synthetic does as well to a much lesser degree)(thats why the car manufactures put that little number on the oil fill cap folks 5w30) fuel type used, my vehicle on the highway on one very long trip down the east coast got 22 mpg on the highway with Exxon fuel, 27 mpg with Shell, and 31 mpg with BP. I did not change any other variables other than fuel brand. i simply relaxed, sat back at 70mph and let the computer do the work. my car only has 4500 miles on it by the way.
Oh ****, I gotta use BP from now on!!!!
Old 10-10-09, 11:40 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I didn't buy this car for the mileage. I honestly couldn't tell you what I get. I fill up, I drive, then I fill up again... all the while with a smile on my face.
yup! thats me as well. if i wanted a fuel efficient car, i wouldve gone with the camry or even a prius, but i wanted something that isnt so common on the roads today. the smile one your face and mine....that is truly priceless, no matter how much gas is these days!
Old 10-10-09, 12:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by lx470man
wow, how do you get 23-25 on mixed driving? i cant even get 23 with 90% freeway.
Keeping the RPM below the 4k rpm range.
Old 10-10-09, 12:59 PM
AU_EE
Rookie

several things have a great deal on influence on fuel mileage.

my vehicle on the highway on one very long trip down the east coast got 22 mpg on the highway with Exxon fuel, 27 mpg with Shell, and 31 mpg with BP. I did not change any other variables other than fuel brand. i simply relaxed, sat back at 70mph and let the computer do the work. my car only has 4500 miles on it by the way.
I would say those kinds of differences have much less to do with gas brand and much more to do with elevation change (most likely for those differences), winds, temps, and other exterior factors that you can't keep constant.
Old 10-11-09, 05:41 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AU_EE
I would say those kinds of differences have much less to do with gas brand and much more to do with elevation change (most likely for those differences), winds, temps, and other exterior factors that you can't keep constant.

Have to disagree on this one, sorry... But this all took place in the same similar temps and elevation, as a matter of fact Va has lower sea level than Pa does, therefore I should have gotten better fuel mileage due to the more oxygen rich air. winds were a moot point as well calm sunny days in Va and Nc, Sc, and Ga. In the automotive industry there are known differences between grades of fuel. This is why "most" auto manufacturers suggest using ONLY "Top Tier Fuels". BP is NOT rated as a "Top Tier Fuel" however it is what gets me the best fuel economy. Temps do have an effect on mileage but all were fairly similar at the time, and humidity level was similar as well.
Old 10-11-09, 10:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Still too many variables you can't control. It's hard enough to compare results on a closed course, but when you start talking about "on a trip down the East Coast" you've thrown all objectivity out the window because there are far too many variables you can't control.

You realize you're claiming a 50% difference in mileage based on fuel brand? If this were true, BP would own the market, lock, stock, and barrel.

I don't disbelieve you saw this result, but you also fail to account for so many things - wind, net elevation changes, traffic, time on cold cycle, etc, that it's not possible to do anything but say I got these results over this trip. For example, here is a spreadsheet with my trip from California to Atlanta. Every mile was driven on Shell gasoline. Note the mileage differences - they're pretty significant.

Beyond this, the gasoline manufacturers all use the same base stock, and the only real difference is the additive packages. BP are notorious for using the least amount of additives, so over the long run you'll see more carbon build up and injector spray pattern degradation with BP. Finally, additive packages between gasoline manufacturers are often antagonistic. So very often when switching from one brand to another, you will remove deposits from one brand and start building up new deposits based on the new additive package. During the transition, you'll see improved mileage.

To completely ice the cake, acetone in very low concentrations has been touted as a fuel mileage extender however my own experiments showed an initial increase that disappeared after 3 tanks of fuel. More than likely the acetone was antagonistic to build up I had from my brand of fuel, and once the build up was gone, so was the improved gas mileage.
Old 10-12-09, 10:59 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

lobuxracer:

Nice spreed sheet and a good bit of info there. Cant argue with real world numbers. You only had a difference of about 5-6 mpg through out the trip. Have you ever considered there might be a difference in gas with the same brands from different parts of the country? I am sure west coast gas has different additives-formulations from the south and especially north east gas. And of course gas differs depending on the time of the year. Just a thought
Old 10-12-09, 12:43 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Still too many variables you can't control. It's hard enough to compare results on a closed course, but when you start talking about "on a trip down the East Coast" you've thrown all objectivity out the window because there are far too many variables you can't control.

You realize you're claiming a 50% difference in mileage based on fuel brand? If this were true, BP would own the market, lock, stock, and barrel.

I don't disbelieve you saw this result, but you also fail to account for so many things - wind, net elevation changes, traffic, time on cold cycle, etc, that it's not possible to do anything but say I got these results over this trip. For example, here is a spreadsheet with my trip from California to Atlanta. Every mile was driven on Shell gasoline. Note the mileage differences - they're pretty significant.

Beyond this, the gasoline manufacturers all use the same base stock, and the only real difference is the additive packages. BP are notorious for using the least amount of additives, so over the long run you'll see more carbon build up and injector spray pattern degradation with BP. Finally, additive packages between gasoline manufacturers are often antagonistic. So very often when switching from one brand to another, you will remove deposits from one brand and start building up new deposits based on the new additive package. During the transition, you'll see improved mileage.

To completely ice the cake, acetone in very low concentrations has been touted as a fuel mileage extender however my own experiments showed an initial increase that disappeared after 3 tanks of fuel. More than likely the acetone was antagonistic to build up I had from my brand of fuel, and once the build up was gone, so was the improved gas mileage.
I have to say a very well made argument without being combative....AWESOME WORK!