IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

'08 IS-F Front Wheel Pitting

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 08:30 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '08 IS-F Front Wheel Pitting

Greetings forum members. I know I've seen a post about this previously but cannot seem to find it so please bare (bear?) with me. I have a little over 5k on the car and try to keep the wheels as clean as possible. The what I would call horizontal wheel surface near the lip of the FRONT wheels, especially in the corners of each of the spokes, has become rough and feels like pitting of the finish. Additionally, it is impossible to clean the discoloration from the surface. The vertical surfaces of the spokes don't exhibit the same problem. The rear wheels are unaffected. The dealer has dismissed the issue as a build up of brake dust. My questions are:, "Did I do something wrong or neglect anything?" "Is the dealer liable for a defective product?" Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-09, 08:34 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dealer told me i should wax the wheels like the paint and it was my fault, then they replaced all four wheels now they are perfect and honestly they are way better!
Old 09-29-09, 09:00 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the information. The parts guy told me to wax the wheels as well but I guess it's too late. IMHO 5k (just over a year of use) is just too short a time for brake dust to cause this to happen. I'd guess the composition of the pads must be quite corrosive or BBS didn't finish the wheels properly. The next time I am at the dealers I will again restate the issue and elevate it to the regional or corporate rep for adjudication.
Old 09-29-09, 09:24 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have any pictures? Does the paint just feel rough or is there actual corrosion through the finish on the wheels?

I would have the wheels cleaned extremely well and a nice coat of wheel wax put on (do this yourself and use some elbow grease or have a professional detailer do it). I would do this before going back into the dealership to see if it can be removed.

From personal experience, I had pitting on one of my wheels (really weird). I took it to the dealership and had just that one replaced. I wash my wheels once a week and wipe them down about every other day. Not sure where I got the pitting from but it happens. There was also a point in time where I thought there was pitting but a little elbow grease, some cleaner and a nice wax worked perfectly to remove the brake dust buildup.
Old 09-29-09, 11:11 AM
jctheplaya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes when you don't clean it good enough the dirt builds up and its hard to remove espeically the small corners of the spokes of the rims
Old 09-29-09, 09:14 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I have not experienced the pitting on my wheels, but I have seen a few chips from rocks and debris hitting the spokes. Unfortunately they are painted rims. I have mentioned this problem to Lexus and I will have to collect threads and forward the pics to their attention.

I did check with my direct sources and they did confirm there is NO touch up paint for the wheels for our car. It makes no sense, but it is what it is. The search continues for the perfect ISF Wheel touch up paint.
Old 09-29-09, 10:51 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Sounds like this could be a recall on Lexus's part.. To many mention wheel pitting..
Old 09-29-09, 11:03 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I did check with my direct sources and they did confirm there is NO touch up paint for the wheels for our car. It makes no sense, but it is what it is. The search continues for the perfect ISF Wheel touch up paint.
I have found that Toyota Paint Code 1E3 is a darn good match. It is called Phantom Grey.

Lou
Old 09-29-09, 11:13 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

i have the rough surface also.Clean the wheels religiously every week. and i only do about 25-35 miles a week. this is ridiculous and stupid if they think its our fault, for not washing the wheels. i mean that means you have to wash the wheels everytime you stop. retarted lexus, they need to do some sort of recall and give a set that will withstand the brake dust or do some more research and find us some more practical brake pads.
Old 09-30-09, 01:00 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

I will definitely give "deep cleaning" on more try. In addition, the dealer printed me off a sheet of paper from Griot's Garage and they sell a cleaner that is endorsed by BBS. Don't know where to find this stuff other than from the source so I may try that. I also may go back to the dealer, who has a detailer, and let their detailer prove that it is just dust buildup or not. I also agree that there are too many people complaining to have this be just a case of not cleaning the wheels well enough.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-30-09, 10:00 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I will definitely give "deep cleaning" on more try. In addition, the dealer printed me off a sheet of paper from Griot's Garage and they sell a cleaner that is endorsed by BBS. Don't know where to find this stuff other than from the source so I may try that. I also may go back to the dealer, who has a detailer, and let their detailer prove that it is just dust buildup or not. I also agree that there are too many people complaining to have this be just a case of not cleaning the wheels well enough.

Thanks everyone!
dealer had mine claybared and still no luck so thats when they replaced them all.
Old 09-30-09, 10:49 AM
lx470man
Lead Lap

we need to start somesort of list,so we can let lexus know how many of us are having the same exact problem. Hopefully leading to a recall of some sort, or even a notice so that dealers know this is not something on the owners fault. Maybe leading to a re-finish or a complete replacement. I hate going to the dealer trying to explain myself for something that is obviously wrong, but having the dealer come back at me saying its normal wear and tear.
Old 09-30-09, 10:55 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt they will do a recall (too much money)

Maybe a TSB to all affected IS-F's. If the IS-F owners gather a list and take it up with Lexus Corporate, I believe they will address the problem. Going one by one to dealers will most likely cause you to get turned away. Service managers would probably have to contact the DPSM for authorization if the job exceeds 2k, which it probably will.
Old 09-30-09, 11:38 AM
lx470man
Lead Lap

sounds better than nothing, lets get a list started and send it to the right people so we can get this problem solved.

1.lx470man-pitting on all wheels in corners. wash wheels weekly religiously.
Old 10-04-09, 06:36 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

My front wheels have the same issue...I took it to the dealer and i was told same BS how they are not covered under warranty and building of brake dust is normal...I cant believe this since i wash and wax my car once a week!!

Quick Reply: '08 IS-F Front Wheel Pitting