IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is-F vs Z06 pros cons

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 07:04 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
haha yeah...but I think to date...only a few transmissions like 3-5 have gone bad out of the thousands made...so that isn't too bad...but it sucks if you were one of the few LoL... funny thing is Nissan never marketed that the car had launch control...they said it was for use when you get stuck in snow, mud or sand...LoL...
And I'd be willing to bet that a majority of the failed transmissions was due to the fact that some aftermarket modifications had been brought to the car. What people do not seem to realize is that the GT-R is a piece of art. You wouldn't alter a Picasso, so why would you alter a GT-R? It's just begging for trouble. The engineers already mentioned that the powertrain and drivetrain had been pushed to their operational limits - anything beyond that would severely compromise the inner workings of this technological marvel.
Old 10-06-09, 01:31 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FisforFast
And I'd be willing to bet that a majority of the failed transmissions was due to the fact that some aftermarket modifications had been brought to the car. What people do not seem to realize is that the GT-R is a piece of art. You wouldn't alter a Picasso, so why would you alter a GT-R? It's just begging for trouble. The engineers already mentioned that the powertrain and drivetrain had been pushed to their operational limits - anything beyond that would severely compromise the inner workings of this technological marvel.
Wasn't this thread supposed to be about comparing the Z06 to the IS-F? It seems to have changed to a discussion comparing the Z06 to the GT-R. Anyway both are very fine cars, I would not say that the GT-R is a "piece of art" but it is nice car. I for one do not like the appearance of it compared to the Z06, but that is just me.
Old 10-06-09, 01:38 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hblexus07
Anyway both are very fine cars, I would not say that the GT-R is a "piece of art" but it is nice car. I for one do not like the appearance of it compared to the Z06, but that is just me.
I'd agree with that. Always loved 'Vettes and the Z06 is dead sexy.
Old 10-06-09, 05:01 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about comparing the Z06 to the IS-F? It seems to have changed to a discussion comparing the Z06 to the GT-R. Anyway both are very fine cars, I would not say that the GT-R is a "piece of art" but it is nice car. I for one do not like the appearance of it compared to the Z06, but that is just me.
You're right. We've been off track. Let's get back to the Z06 and IS-F.
Old 10-06-09, 08:32 PM
B D HEMI
Rookie

Default Z06

FisForFast , those 1/4 mile times of 11.4 /11.6 for the gtr I've never seen from any magazine . The Vette Z06 is a faster straight line car and the broken tranny's of the gtr 's that owners sued nissan over Did Not modified their cars in any way - in fact nissan settled out of court . Nissan simply did not build a rugged enough tranny for hard launches . Now the 2010 - C6 , Z06 and the ZR-1 vettes have launch controls and GM will fully warranty their drivetrains for 100,000 miles even if used on DRY surfaces and on race tracks ALL DAY LONG !!!
Old 10-07-09, 09:46 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Anything that is put together by one technician in a room cleaner than most operation wards, can be considered a work of art.
Old 10-07-09, 11:13 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Anything that is put together by one technician in a room cleaner than most operation wards, can be considered a work of art.
Yao Ming?
Old 10-07-09, 12:47 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

I'll always love the Corvette, although looking forward at Government Motors Corp, they'll never see a dime from me again. And while I really like that Audi running around Montreal by FisforFast, I couldn't care less about the GT-R, if it went 300mph and did 0-60 in 2 seconds, it's just well, rice.

The IS-F, is a 4 door sedan with reliability, quality and performance that doesn't need to prove itself, for it's not trying to be anything except what it is, a Lexus refined. That's what I like about it. Two door coupes and muscle cars are fine, but I bought a 4 door luxury sedan that happens to have a pleasing dual personality.
Old 10-07-09, 06:04 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

That really does not make any sense but if you like the car it is all fine and good. But to say it is a "work of art" because it is put together in a clean room does not register. There are lots of things that are put together in clean rooms, computers, hard drives, AV equipment just to name a few. Doesn't mean they are all "works of art", though my Pioneer Kuro may just be. LOL

But we are again getting off track.

Cheers

Last edited by hwy1isf; 10-08-09 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 07:43 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

My god does every thread about a GTR have to dwell on the transmission?? For the record Nissan lost a class action law suit mid year making them responsible for all GTR's past and present regarding its fabled transmission and launch control. From some date this year GTR owners must upgrade to the new Launch control and all traction controled off (VDC off) launches will not be covered but with the new Launch control Nissan must cover warranties regarding a fail trans if it falls within the new guidelines. This is a big win for the owners and makes Nissan honor all the hoopla around this issue.
Also FisforFast most of the very few owners that popped a tranny(yes the number is very low) listened to the dummies that sold them the cars at the dealership telling them the car is broken in at the factory and yada yada and that the Launch control could be used at will all the time back to back and so on. These owners, most within the first 1000 miles used the LC like a kid eating candy on halloween over and over again. Which of course resulted in a busted trans( most LC broken trans are a result of 1st gear and the shaft its on sheering from the abuse). I still think Nissan is to blame here by making the LC rpm to high to launch at and Nissan again using it as a "Gotcha Biatch" incase something when wrong knowing it was going to cost NNA a ton of money if they start covering all the current and future $20,000 dollar trans claims. Biggest waste IMO as the 0-60 times tested by everyone under the sun are only a .1 to .2 difference. So 3.3 vs 3.4, yeah I guess every millisec counts.

sigh.....Now that I have vented that back to the original subject.

ZO6 vs ISF? You cant put these 2 in the same category. I think you already answered most of your questions about what you should do. I would ask myself these questions.....How much do I want to spend on the car? How often am I going to drive it? What are my plans for the car modification wise? How expensive is it to maintain and to modify? Parts for the Z06's are cheap and so is modification parts comparing them to say a GTR. The Z06's to me look great on the road and have a muscular stance and look too. IMO you cant go wrong with one especially with Chevy's new Program of buy it and if you dont like it you can bring it back within 30 days!! I know someone that is doing this program on a ZR1 LOL. I cant think of a better value performance wise than a Z06
Old 10-07-09, 08:01 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

ZR-1, end of day.. i am planning on getting mine soon and keeping the F for long drives and traveling.
Old 10-07-09, 08:05 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by chrisburke
ZR-1, end of day.. i am planning on getting mine soon and keeping the F for long drives and traveling.
At the end of the day the ZR1 is an overpriced, unreliable Government Motors creation. Even if Jeremy Clarkson describes it as being sublime in every sense of the word, it's still a Chevrolet, and it's still got a dated cabin and a gearbox inferior to its competition.
Old 10-07-09, 08:09 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

as much as I hate owning a chevy not for the name but for who i work for and need to support my company I love the zr-1 and the price is not that bad. and for what it does an competes with i feel chevy has done a great job. Hell its only money. Right???
Old 10-07-09, 08:27 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by chrisburke
as much as I hate owning a chevy not for the name but for who i work for and need to support my company I love the zr-1 and the price is not that bad. and for what it does an competes with i feel chevy has done a great job. Hell its only money. Right???
Yes, it's your money, but spending in upwards of $100,000 on a Chevy is beyond ridiculous. I like the concept of the ZR1, just not who's behind it, and it's not because it's Chevy, it's because of the pedigree the company has, and because it also makes a $5000 econobox.
Old 10-07-09, 08:34 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

as much as we all hate it and its bad name.... THE ZR-1 SMASHES MOST OF THE CARS... if i choose not to get one its only cuz I got a better deal on an ACR.. hahaha

Quick Reply: Is-F vs Z06 pros cons