IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

So... Would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 11:32 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRE1615
Completely agree. Wanted to add one thing. Just recently, BMW and Porsche have both been quoted saying that they will NOT be offering the Dual Clutch tranny in their future models.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/08/27...e-dct-is-near/

The ISF tranny, IS the future of the automotive industry. Plain and simple

Cheers

Indeed, they announced that they are moving towards 8-speed, ZF-built transmissions not unlike what is found in the IS F.
Old 09-17-09, 11:48 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure why there is such fuss over the tranny when the shifts (Especially in high gears) are completely seamless and do not affect the driving experience one bit. If you're in auto mode and not staring at the gear selector, I guarantee that you will NOT be able to tell when the car go from 5-6-7-8 or 8-6-5.

I do agree though, that mashing the gas in 8th (auto/non-sport) sometimes does not result in an instantaneous downshift to 4-5, and that's been discussed before. However, those rare incidents occurred when I first got the car. Now that I'm one with the paddles , I understand how to use them in various scenarios, and I feel very connected with the car.

Transmission is personal preference, but in this case it's hard to argue that a traditional manual would have ANY advantage over this auto. This auto does everything that a manual does, but faster and more efficiently. Yet it has none of the drawbacks, and it can do everything for you if you'd like. You can't ask for more than that (Except maybe for a stick and a clutch so you can feel like you are working it ).
Old 09-17-09, 01:23 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ We have a clucthless (pedal) Stick.... LoL

Here is that wonderful IS-F Transmission Story (PDF)

- Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-17-09 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-17-09, 02:28 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Good read, Joe. tnx.
I for one love the 8 speed just the way it is and was a major reason I bought the 'F'.

C.
Old 09-18-09, 07:20 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Love every min of driving the F
Old 09-18-09, 08:39 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ISFer
Good read, Joe. tnx.
I for one love the 8 speed just the way it is and was a major reason I bought the 'F'.

C.
No complaints on the transmission from me either...

Here is a cut away of it..

- Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails So... Would you do it again?-is-f-trans-cut.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-18-09 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 09-19-09, 05:56 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VIPERVENOM
YES. I can't believe how many whiny, spoiled brats have Fs and still complain.

Im sure you wont find so much complaints on a M3 thread because the love every inch of their cars....even the bad.

Yoiu IS-F owners need to grateful...some ppl here (like me) wish they could even as least take a drive in a IS-F.....all we can do is see the few there are past us by
Old 09-19-09, 06:41 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
Thumbs up

exactly! spoiled is the operative word, and those that are fortunate to own such a great ride should embrace its advances as opposed to what really are unnecessary features.
Old 09-19-09, 10:19 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes

Yes I would do it all over again. The reason I jumped on the IS-F was b/c I got mine (2008) for $48K this year new; M3s and C63s are way overpriced IMO and AMG values tank like crazy w/in the 1st year. Its a great car for those who need 4 doors, lots of power, comfort, convenience, and want to be able to do some track days. It is by no means a sports car, but a sports sedan. This is the market the IS-F is aimed at and does a pretty good job.

The 8-speed gearbox IMO is very good. Yes in auto mode its a bit clumsy as it constantly tries to find the "perfect" gear. I myself NEVER drive in auto mode. I drive a manual daily and when I drive the IS-F I want full control over the gear selection and stick it in M mode. Because the 8-speed in manual mode is so responsive, it is great for those who enjoy manual transmissions but do not want to have to deal with a clutch. I think the 8-speed gearbox is better suited to this type of car (4 door heavy sedan). I do not think a manual trans would suit this car well, I myself do not drive very hard in my Cayman S with my wife and with a 4 door sedan for the sake of passengers, I think the 8-speed works better.

The ride can be jarring at times, I think the rebound of the suspension could have been setup much better but it is very predictable at the track. Car needs a Differential of some sort, luckily we will be able to retrofit ones (torque based/Quaife) on 08/09s and 2010s will have them standard.

As for that Bimmer file article, 8 speed gearboxes I believe will be seen in more mass production sedans/sporty cars as it does increase fuel economy but I highly doubt Porsche will drop the PDK or BMW M cars will loose DCT. An 8-speed box CANNOT compete with any dual clutch system. I have driven Audi's DSG and Porsche's PDK and the shifts are instantaneous and without loss of drivetrain momentum. Dual clutch setups are much better for sports cars like Porsche/BMW M. Even Ferrari is putting one in the new 458 Italia. Only downside to a dual clutch IMO is that you do not get a pronounced blip on downshift as its not needed with two clutches.

-Kevin
Old 09-20-09, 05:20 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I was wondering the same thing.. Lots of negative comments about the IS-F that i'm surprised to here. If there is so much *****ing about a 60k car than why buy it. I would luv to own a F and not think twice about it. I do like some of the comments that some of you do luv the F. That shows that you appreciate the vehicle.. I'm finding ways everyday on how i can get one.. SO far nothing LOL..

If someone doesn't like there starfire pearl.. I'll take it..
Old 09-20-09, 05:25 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I believe the general conscensus is that people who own the F and put some time on it, love it. Those who tried it out at the dealership because they were bored while their LS460 was getting an oil change, don't.
Old 09-20-09, 06:34 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Just got my F Lowered with Tein springs, OMG !!! The car rides so much better, Lexus should have had the car from the factory like that..... Im a happy camper now, Blitz Throttle controller to take care of the gear shifting/hunting problem and now my Teins to take care of my bouncing around problem. Nav Hack to take care of the Nav problem. lol, now I need to put a sub in to take care of the ML sound system.
Old 09-20-09, 09:05 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I was wondering the same thing.. Lots of negative comments about the IS-F that i'm surprised to here. If there is so much *****ing about a 60k car than why buy it. I would luv to own a F and not think twice about it. I do like some of the comments that some of you do luv the F. That shows that you appreciate the vehicle.. I'm finding ways everyday on how i can get one.. SO far nothing LOL..

If someone doesn't like there starfire pearl.. I'll take it..
First off this is NOT whining!, This is Likes and Dislikes, for your information , THIS is how an auto manufactures IMPROVES a vehicle! Spoiled was another phrase which was thrown around by some... Let me be the first to say grow up!!! I BUST my azz for every dollar I make! I went to school got an education, invested my money wisely, and can afford to buy what I want. I chose to buy this car on the merits which were apparent in a 20min test drive, the issues I speak of were discovered after many drives in the car. This question was put out there to gather other owners inputs and thoughts, NOT a bunch of wannabes who wish they had an F... Remember the difference between a Have and a HAVE NOT is the HAVE is willing to bust his azz for it!! I am NOT better than anybody here, and am NOT claiming ANY type of superiority, but comments like this are just plain BS! I asked a simple question of other owners, stated what I liked and disliked, and was looking for other opinions, NOTHING less, NOTHING MORE! I am in NO way putting down this car! I like the car I just don't LOVE it... There is defiantly room for improvement!

Last edited by ming15237; 09-20-09 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-20-09, 11:04 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the misconception of German cars is just that, a misconception. I own a BMW and have had zero problems with it but my maintenance was zero dollars so far. It will be that way for the next 4 years. I do see some problems with them but while under warranty and with a free maintenance plan and it is pretty hard to gripe about those things honestly. If you want to keep the car past 4 years than I can see that being a concern. Here is the thing. I like Lexus a lot and agree with this point, Japanese cars are the best value for the dollar these days. You get more for what you pay. Nobody can argue that except an Audi salesman or someone similar. The thing I noticed was German cars just feel more sporty. I had an IS350 and testdrove an IS-F but I wanted something that looked different and felt different. I also would rather have a true manual gearbox.

I will tell you though. I wish BMW did the air cooled seats, backup camera and better sat-navigation like Lexus. I miss all of those. Lexus makes some great cars but there isn't a sports sedan that I would keep forever honestly. However, if BMW's were cheaper to fix after the warranty was up I would go with one of those. That is their big fallback. Clutches and engine work is serious money when a problem comes up. I think that is more of the concern. I think the cars are just as reliable with a few exceptions but when I have to fix my German car I get nervous with how much it will cost.

I have to say I would love to have IS-F for a year or so to have fun with. I would love to have an RS4 and C63 AMG to try out as well. They all have the pros and cons. The M3 is a bit expensive when its little brother is hiding a better engine underneath.

I still can't get over the quad exhaust tips that don't attach to the rest of the exhaust. Strange....
Old 09-21-09, 01:04 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
First off this is NOT whining!, This is Likes and Dislikes, for your information , THIS is how an auto manufactures IMPROVES a vehicle! Spoiled was another phrase which was thrown around by some... Let me be the first to say grow up!!! I BUST my azz for every dollar I make! I went to school got an education, invested my money wisely, and can afford to buy what I want. I chose to buy this car on the merits which were apparent in a 20min test drive, the issues I speak of were discovered after many drives in the car. This question was put out there to gather other owners inputs and thoughts, NOT a bunch of wannabes who wish they had an F... Remember the difference between a Have and a HAVE NOT is the HAVE is willing to bust his azz for it!! I am NOT better than anybody here, and am NOT claiming ANY type of superiority, but comments like this are just plain BS! I asked a simple question of other owners, stated what I liked and disliked, and was looking for other opinions, NOTHING less, NOTHING MORE! I am in NO way putting down this car! I like the car I just don't LOVE it... There is defiantly room for improvement!

First of all your "RANT" towards me is unecessary. I wasn't singling you or anyone out. I simply was referring to what members where saying about the tranny and other tid bits that could be improved.Some stated that they would not do it all over again. Therefore my comment was based on those facts. Sorry to break it to you but i to have a education and bust my azz everyweek. I never once said anything about your education or how hard you work etc. Besides i was quoting VIPERVENOM on his comment and agreeing with him to some extend. Finally, yes i could go out and buy an F but i choose not to simply because having two cars and no car payments makes me stress free . So grow up buddy.

Quick Reply: So... Would you do it again?