IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Trackdaze Autobahn Full Course Videos/Reports

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 07:35 AM
teoh2005
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trackdaze Autobahn Full Course Videos/Reports

Big thanks to Trackdaze for putting on another great event. I highly recommend them as the event was a lot of fun and well organized.

Here are some videos from the weekend:

IS-F (Advanced/Instructor):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbetN1Ws4X0 (Sun 1st Session Pt.1)
-1st Time at a track in the IS-F

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5NJI_WBXeI (Sun 1st Session Pt.2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Jll6y6ckg (Sun 2nd Session Pt.1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7eFY2Plmpk (Sun 2nd Session Pt.2)

Cayman S (Advanced/Instructor Group):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPACZwqpXiU (Sat 3rd Session Pt.1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnpgvTQBOQ8 (Sat 3rd Session Pt.2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXee1SPPlVI (Sat 4th Session Pt.1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7fQNWr24XI (Sat 4th Session Pt.2)

Observations:
-VSC was turned off via long push, VSC light still flickers in certain corners. I decided to turn it off this way to still allow some traction control. IMO sometimes it is ok to still have a bit of traction control if you are lazy and want the car to correct itself rather than you working to do so.

-Brake fade after 2nd session, this is with stock pads and Motul 600. Stock brakes IMO cannot handle heavy braking. Car is too heavy and causes the brakes to get way too hot, this is with racing brake fluid. Racing pads should help but there is no denying that the IS-F is a heavy car

-IS:F Advantages to Cayman S:
1)Lots of available torque, can rocket out of corners
2) Direct shift gearbox. Can snap into upper gears past midcorner without upsetting balance of the car. In my Cayman S, gear changes need to be done in straightline or the balance of the car is upset

-IS:F Disadvantages to Cayman S:
1) Rear becomes unsettled under heavy braking. Heavy V-8 upfront with heavy breaking will unsettle the rear. All braking needs to be done in a straight line. In my Cayman S, I need to do a little bit of trail braking to get the nose in. Just difference b/w front and mid engine setups.
2) NO TBD in IS-F. Car will understeer past apex. Cannot adjust the line due to lack of torque/power to outer wheel. My Cayman S will claw through an apex and I can put down power earlier due to the TBD
3) Brake fade in the IS:F. After 2 sessions brakes lost performance due to uneven pad transfer. Stock pads cannot cope with high heat and will not transfer evenly to rotors.
4) Bridgestone Potenzas. Tire compound inferior to Michelin PS2s. Do not provide enough grip. Rear tire width needs to be greater than 255.

All in all had a great time and the IS-F surpised me as it was a ton of fun on the track and had very neutral handling. This was my first time in the IS-F and I was able to do a 3:00 min lap. I did a 2:53 in my Cayman S. I imagine as time goes on I will be able to trim time from those laps. Hope you guys enjoyed this post.

Here are 2 quick pics of the cars ready for the track:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

-Kevin

Last edited by teoh2005; 09-15-09 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-14-09, 07:51 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome runs man. Love the F so much.

Besides the fact they are two total different cars, the IS-F really loses nothing to the Cayman. Everything that happened was expected.....bigger car not a nimble as smaller + less weight car.

I want see a striped out track IS-F. Would love to see the difference in performance vs the full weight car.

Last edited by JDMToyotas; 09-14-09 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-14-09, 11:43 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Sounds like you had a blast!!!

Will watch the Video's later tonight...

From all the info we gathered so far, it seems if the light is flickering while Trac & Vsc have been turned Off via the 3 sec push of the button...

…It indicates the “ELSD” is still Operating Normally.
Which is a good thing..

Regards,
Joe Z
Old 09-14-09, 11:01 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, after reading this post, I went back to my vid and it looks like I was running 3:13/lap as an average. This was on my 3rd session which was the only one I recorded. I did get faster and faster as the day went on. (first track day) I don't drive as hard as you so my brakes didn't fade (or maybe I don't even know what fade is?).
Old 09-14-09, 11:20 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
So, after reading this post, I went back to my vid and it looks like I was running 3:13/lap as an average. This was on my 3rd session which was the only one I recorded. I did get faster and faster as the day went on. (first track day) I don't drive as hard as you so my brakes didn't fade (or maybe I don't even know what fade is?).
I bled the lines again tonight and there was a little bit of air in there but there was a ton of pad transfer on the rotors. That was actually the main reason for decreased braking. Hopefully most of it will go away on its own, if not I will need to put on a more aggressive pad to remove it. For those who are going to track, get some more aggressive/track pads. The Lexus OEM pads are too soft for track use.

Toothdoc, guess you're a dentist as well??

-Kevin

Last edited by teoh2005; 09-14-09 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 11:27 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Great Videos Kevin!!

The Exhaust & Intake combo sounded Great during your track sessions...

How hot do your oil temp gauge get to?? (if you remember, how many bars up?)

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 09-14-09, 11:34 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Great Videos Kevin!!

The Exhaust & Intake combo sounded Great during your track sessions...

How hot do your oil temp gauge get to?? (if you remember, how many bars up?)

Regards,

Joe Z
Hey Joe,

It was one bar from the top, got there about 15 min into the session.

-Kevin
Old 09-15-09, 12:06 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by teoh2005
Hey Joe,

It was one bar from the top, got there about 15 min into the session.

-Kevin
Looks like you were in the 266-275 °F range ........

(pic from Lobuxracer)

Joe Z
Old 09-15-09, 11:31 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like an external oil cooler may be a good idea after-all...

Nice vids. If you ever need an extra guy to handle your Cayman or F, give us a ring
Old 09-16-09, 11:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I seem to recall we've mentioned using real track pads before. I ran Carbotech XP-12s in front and XP-10s in the rear on their recommendation. I used Brembo LCF, and still cooked the fronts 20 minutes into the fourth session with the VSC on because it was constantly correcting using front brake all the way around turn 13. I will never go on the track with VSC on again.

Yes, the rear does get unsettled under hard braking. I was having issues with it going into turn 8 at CMP - slowing from 5th gear to 3rd on a slight downhill with a small rise right at turn in. It would be nice if we could adjust EBFD in-car and take a little rear out to keep the car straighter under very hard braking.
Old 09-17-09, 09:56 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I seem to recall we've mentioned using real track pads before. I ran Carbotech XP-12s in front and XP-10s in the rear on their recommendation. I used Brembo LCF, and still cooked the fronts 20 minutes into the fourth session with the VSC on because it was constantly correcting using front brake all the way around turn 13. I will never go on the track with VSC on again.

Yes, the rear does get unsettled under hard braking. I was having issues with it going into turn 8 at CMP - slowing from 5th gear to 3rd on a slight downhill with a small rise right at turn in. It would be nice if we could adjust EBFD in-car and take a little rear out to keep the car straighter under very hard braking.
In my 2nd session I had a passenger ride along (extra approx 180 lbs). Because of that increased weight the front pads got way too hot and left a lot of deposit on the front rotors. For those in Novice/Intermediate I don't believe racing pads will be necessary. If you are in Advanced and driving at least 8/10ths then yes, racing pads are a must.

-Kevin
Old 09-18-09, 12:30 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes yes, i think part of it also was the extremely late braking .... : )
Old 09-19-09, 04:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
Yes yes, i think part of it also was the extremely late braking .... : )
Actually late braking is better for pad and rotor life because it gives you more time in between braking events to cool. The less time you apply the brakes, the more time they can be cooling. The amount of heat you put in them will be the same regardless, but the amount of time you have to shed it improves the later and harder you brake as long as your pads don't fade.
Old 09-19-09, 06:01 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

"Extremely" late braking.........as when you are attempting to pass someone...

Nothing wrong with regular late braking

Also loose tons of momentum.....
Old 09-19-09, 06:19 PM
teoh2005
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Actually late braking is better for pad and rotor life because it gives you more time in between braking events to cool. The less time you apply the brakes, the more time they can be cooling. The amount of heat you put in them will be the same regardless, but the amount of time you have to shed it improves the later and harder you brake as long as your pads don't fade.
Late braking = more speed into corner = more heat into brakes = pads wear faster/rotors wear faster.

Stock pads are not good for heavy track use. I just got done taking my wheels off and using brake cleaner/abrasive pad/brush to remove a lot of pad transfer on the rotors. Most of it flaked off. Because the stock pads got so hot at my last track day the material transferred unevenly to the rotors causing brake judder (not rotor warpage, very difficult to get warped rotors). I was able to remove some but there still a ton on the rotors. The good news is that braking feels almost as good as before I did the track day. Only way to get all of it off is with a more abrasive track pad.

Track pads are recommended for heavy trackers but b/c the compound is more abrasive (also more heat resistant) they will chew up rotors faster. All just a part of tracking your car.

-Kevin

Quick Reply: Trackdaze Autobahn Full Course Videos/Reports