IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

K&N Intake and heat soak...what I did about it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 06:32 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Supra have you had a chance to dyno your car to see if K&N's claims are credible?
Sorry guys, I haven't had the time to Dyno it to substantiate the K&N claims. To me it "feels" like it make a big difference, but that's far from actual proof. I don't think I'm going to dyno it anytime soon...I just finished making a big purchase for the car (pictures to be up soon) and I'm saving for my wedding next year, so I got some other priorities.
Old 12-03-09, 11:19 PM
ISFAIL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope this helps

http://importtuner.automotive.com/11...s-f/index.html

12.9 hp and 4.2 lbs. feet of torque over baseline

3,000 rpm where most of us feel the is-f needs a little pick me up, the importtuner is-f recorded a gain of 15 hp and 25 ft. lbs. of torque!

I'm convinced, and driving year round in San Diego where it's 82 and calm shouldn't cause any "heat soak" issues
Old 07-24-14, 07:47 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Well I’ve had the K&N intake for a couple of months…I got it mainly because I got a great deal on it (my fiancé got it for me as a gift!!). But I thought I’d give some feedback. One thing I noticed about it was that there was some serious heat soak after driving pretty hard in 90+ California weather. How did I notice this…well after awhile it feels like the car is lagging and trying to pull, in other words, there was a serious loss of torque and power.

When you look at the K&N heat shield, you can easily see how poorly designed it is. It’s made out of metal, there are gaps all the way around the shield that allows for hot engine compartment air to be sucked in, especially in the bottom portion of the shield there is about a 1 inch gap. After a spirited drive, if you touch the K&N cone it’s pretty darn hot!! So what I did was go and get some thermal shielding and a Nomex intake tube shield and thermal shield the intake as much as possible. I close off all the gaps where hot air maybe sucked in and the only area that is open is where the stock front intake scoop opens into the K&N intake where it will only draw in cooler air from the front. Now even after a very long drive, the K&N intake is much cooler to the touch. Also its much smoother than before, and it feels like there is more power...but I can’t fully claim that without a dyno to back it up. I’m sorry, I haven’t gotten it dynoed yet…I need to save for the wedding but I’ll do much best to get it done soon and when I do, I’ll post the results. Below are the pictures of the thermal shielding of the K&N intake…Darshana S…
PS...It sounds badass too!

I like the idea of the heat shield for the intake pipe( couldn't hurt).....anyway where can I find it , what name is it or part #?
Old 07-24-14, 08:01 PM
LexusISF19
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supraman, still running this setup ?
Old 07-24-14, 08:56 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Nope, went back to stock. Even with the heat wrap, there was too much heat soak.
Old 07-24-14, 11:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Nope, went back to stock. Even with the heat wrap, there was too much heat soak.
smart man. These intakes are not as effective as advertised . It has been proven here. Even the ones that add power may not consistently add that power. Lexus engineers are not that stupid.
Old 07-25-14, 01:28 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I also have the K & N and I don't believe it lives up to it's claims, although the sound is fantastic.
I put a layer of self-stick heat shield on the outside of the K & N plate. I don't don't know if it makes a difference...
K&N Intake and heat soak...what I did about it.-dscn2206a.jpg
K&N Intake and heat soak...what I did about it.-dscn2207a.jpg