IS F Owner From Malaysia

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 08:15 PM
Christan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS F Owner From Malaysia

Dear All,

I have been reading all your comments and this forum for close to half a year now. I'd like to introduce myself and be apart of this community.
I have so many questions but i know that i'd get the best possible answers here so please bear with me if i sound like a complete noob cake.

First of all, my name is Chris and im from Malaysia. Yep all the way down in south east Asia. Almost a 24 hour flight from the USA.
I have imported south east asia's very first IS-F. Its the only one in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand etc. And theres a huge fanfare. My car arrives in 2 weeks.
I have always owned BMWs, but i am hooked on Lexus ever since i first drove one while i was in the UK.

Topics of particular interests to me are:
1) Possible installation of Mechanical LSD on current 2008-2009 IS Fs.
2) JoeZ intakes and Exhaust systems.

Thanks again guys! If any of you are in SE Asia. Let me know. Ill be happy to place host.

sincerely,

Chris
Old 08-20-09, 08:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus Chris and congrats!
Old 08-20-09, 08:25 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus and congratulations on getting the IS F. When you get a chance please post pictures of your IS F. I have a few friends from Malaysia. Do you live close to Kuala Lumpur?
Old 08-20-09, 08:31 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet welcome
Old 08-20-09, 08:31 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome and congrats! Having the first and only IS-F in Malaysia, now that's exclusivity!
Old 08-20-09, 08:49 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats on the IS F! You're going to love it. As for the mods, the LSD will most likely be introduced in the 2010 IS F, so i'm not too sure about that until i get my hands on one. as for the JoeZ intake and exhaust, the intake is a simple DIY, but couple it with the exhaust, thats when you know you have a beast under the hood. best of luck on your future mods, and hopefully we'll see some pics soon.

Old 08-20-09, 08:51 PM
anson89
Driver

WHAT'S UP CHRIS!!! Holy crap!!! When I read this I got excited!!!!!! I'm from Malaysia too! I'm studying in Houston now and I have an IS-F!!
I'm from Kota Kinabalu, where are you from?
Road tax is gonna be HELL for you bro, freaking 5000cc.
SELAMAT DATANG BTW!
Old 08-20-09, 09:55 PM
Christan
Driver

Hi Guys
Thanks for the wonderful welcome! I am Currently sorting out the final details for my car. Its gonna be a sweet sweet ride i know. I already love the is350 (i think people under estimate Lexus) so I know im gonna love the ISF.

To bnizzle87:
I was a bit disappointed to learn that Mechanical LSD did not come standard for such a high performance car (i'd have thought it'll at least be obvious) but i guess they thought virtual LSD through VDIM would be sufficient, I have yet to really test the car out on track to know, but if the 2010 ISF's are going to have some, I believe that it will not be long before bolt on LSDs will be offered for the other cars.

My dad is a mechanical engineer by discipline and he did say that it is very possible to have it fitted at the rear axel. The only issue would then be software etc... Well ill wait for you to let me know !

DaveGS4: Thanks good to be here!
Trexus: Thank you for the welcome! And yes i live in Kuala Lumpur
encore888: Yup! The only one. In the region actually. Some guys from Singapore and Indonesia are flying down to see the car
Redbully: Thanks dude!

anson89:
Haha anson Terima Kasih and yeah im from KL. My father is originally from KK. He went to Arizona to study when he was a student. I on the other hand went to the UK, m3 territory haha they love their bmws there.
LOL and the road tax is no issue... after what i paid for to bring the car in
Old 08-21-09, 12:49 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

welcome to the club! wow your the first one to have an F there? cant wait for the pics
Old 08-21-09, 12:55 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! you must be dyin to see your car gratz on purchase!
Old 08-21-09, 08:47 AM
Christan
Driver

Hell yeah! I am so excited. Especially after test driving my friend's m3.
Like i said above i was always, always an m3/bmw guy, till i drove the F when i was in the UK. I was hooked. And i dreamt about it ever since. Bringing the car here for the first time, i had to get through so much red tape to even get my baby on the ship!

It shipped on the 28th of July.. they said 6 weeks.. or so. We are now staring down the barrel at 2 weeks to go.
Once the car arrives. You guys get first pics!
Old 09-09-09, 01:01 AM
silwen
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the F.
I am about to go to the UK to read law and was thinking of buying car back upon my return. What did you have to go through to bring your baby home?
Old 09-09-09, 08:28 AM
Christan
Driver

Hey Silwen,

First of all you gotta put the notion out of your head that:
A) bringing a car back from the UK/States will be cheaper.
B) It is going to be straight forward
C) Cost benefit analysis

Also remember you can only bring in cars that are a year old (in terms of manufacture date, i.e if you wanna bring in a 2009 car, you gotta wait till we hit calender year 2010 and the car cannot be newer than August 2009.)

Now back to point A) While an F or an M3 will cost about 50k pounds or (bout 260K ringgit) remember that the tax wil It will ALWAYS be at least 150% there abouts, so you will effectively pay 1.5 times for the car. It is still cheaper yes for now compared to a brand new m3, but if you add freight costs, registration etc you'll have to pay more.
The upside would be, you get to choose your options instead of buying a car specced up by autobavaria etc..

B) We have a stupid AP system. You have to apply for one. Or get someone else to get one for you. Student APs are now really difficult to get, and in some cases it costs more. APs typically cost between 25-40k depending. Plus it would help if you have some "connections".

C) I brought my F in because, I loved the car since i first drove it. It was like love at first sight. I had to have it, so i brought it in. But, let me tell you my road tax costs me RM11.5k A year. Yup i have to pay 11.5k just to keep it on the road. Then there are service issues.

I went through a lot to get my car in. Once i secured the car, paid the money and got the AP, i had to appoint an agent or dealer to bring it in for me. Now if you trust them its fine and nothing should go wrong.. but you never know. Again I hope you do well in your studies. I did law in the UK too, went to Kings College London.

My suggestion is buy a car a year before graduation. Drive it and love it then decide whether its worth all that trouble to bring it in.
Hope this is helpful, and if you wanna catch up send me a priv msg. ill show you why i love the F so much
Old 09-09-09, 04:25 PM
anson89
Driver

Another Malaysian owner here Christian and I are proud owners of the F
Old 09-09-09, 05:56 PM
Christan
Driver

Yup Damn Right Anson! And Anson here has been really helpful to IS-F noob here (points to self)

Quick Reply: IS F Owner From Malaysia