IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Ultimate exhaust tip for the IS-F (see picture)

Old 07-26-09, 04:47 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Niiice! Make it happen!
Old 07-26-09, 06:57 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

One thing that may look tacky with such a big exhaust tip is having the dinky muffler tips being visible behind the huge tip. The stock tips does a nice job of hiding the small muffler tips...Darshana S...
Old 07-26-09, 11:42 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
One thing that may look tacky with such a big exhaust tip is having the dinky muffler tips being visible behind the huge tip. The stock tips does a nice job of hiding the small muffler tips...Darshana S...

Very true - this is why GM engineers failed!

To do this correctly, we need to build a beveled shroud that slowly tapers down to hide the exhaust tip (just like the OEM setup) and this can be done with sheet metal. I'm going to sit down with my machine shop guy sometime this week to discuss the tip shape and edge.

My scanner broke but I wanted to show you guys a muffler tip I built back in 1998 that actually is similiar to what I want to do now ~ stupid scanner

rick
Old 07-27-09, 06:41 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Please excuse the "ricey" mods I had but hey it was a big hit back in the mid 90's...hehehe

The point I want to get across is the exhaust tip style / size. That tip was custom made in a straight-cut type stainless steel. For the IS-F I want to go with a thicker rolled tip look.....

Old 07-27-09, 07:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,321 Posts

So is the plan to mount to the existing diffuser structure and retain the bumper mount, or attach to the muffler and allow some float? While I realize the detractors think the exhaust tips are "fake" the reality is, they won't melt your bumper and I'm concerned the bumper wouldn't like a floating tip unless there was plenty of room for it to move around without hitting anything.

What are your thoughts on how to do this? BTW, I like the square look and have entertained the idea of building something squared off, but haven't really put a lot of effort into it yet. Just curious what you're thinking.
Old 07-28-09, 08:09 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Plan is definitely to mount to the bumper just like the OEM setup - no intention of welding to the muffler and getting all the associated headaches of heat, alignment and like you said melting the bumper.

My goal is to first buy a pair of OEM used exhaust shrouds with/without tips don't matter and then taking all of this to my machine shop. A lot of times my head thinks up things that are not cost effective in reality. A few of my buddies are also engineers so we're going to do a mock draft on CAD and see how it will look size wise. My industrial design friend will make the mold and then the rest is up to the machine shop.

My final product is to have a offset polygon as pictured earlier and having the tip edges rolled exactly like how the OEM tips are setup so it gives it some thickness and a "tougher" look. The one on my Eclipse is a thin-wall straight edge cut and I don't think this would look good on the IS-F.

rick
Old 07-28-09, 08:48 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by s4play
Plan is definitely to mount to the bumper just like the OEM setup - no intention of welding to the muffler and getting all the associated headaches of heat, alignment and like you said melting the bumper.

My goal is to first buy a pair of OEM used exhaust shrouds with/without tips don't matter and then taking all of this to my machine shop. A lot of times my head thinks up things that are not cost effective in reality. A few of my buddies are also engineers so we're going to do a mock draft on CAD and see how it will look size wise. My industrial design friend will make the mold and then the rest is up to the machine shop.

My final product is to have a offset polygon as pictured earlier and having the tip edges rolled exactly like how the OEM tips are setup so it gives it some thickness and a "tougher" look. The one on my Eclipse is a thin-wall straight edge cut and I don't think this would look good on the IS-F.

rick

^^ The initial cost & expenses for all of this is where I had stopped…
The re-creation of the OEM internals is costly.

However, modifying a set of used/new ones will for sure be cheaper.
Just making it all functional, is what will be the harder part.

I am working on something slightly different.. Which will hopefully pan out..

Joe Z

(can't see your pics at work)

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-28-09 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-28-09, 09:06 AM
ISF FAN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
There is one guy in CA that has the Tanabe and according to him, his car was the test vehicle for Tanabe's exhaust. I'm only aware of the one guy who owns this exhaust.

rick
You can catch me on my drive between Livermore and Hayward daily. It is unique to say the least.
Old 07-28-09, 10:06 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISF FAN
You can catch me on my drive between Livermore and Hayward daily. It is unique to say the least.
Well you currently own 1 out of 1 made...

Old 07-28-09, 10:56 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about making this?

Old 07-28-09, 11:36 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we are getting there. What do you think about this? How hard would it be?

Old 07-28-09, 12:51 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

fleadog99: Thanks for the photoshop - the edges need to be rounded a bit more and the shape needs to be refined. My goal is to have the tips follow the contours of the actual exhaust opening outline and keep maybe 1" distance all around it. We are in the process of measuring the circumference using a digital caliper so we can mock it up in AutoCad in real size measurements. Your photoshop seem to have lost the lower bumper surround around the exhaust tip and that makes it look weird. Also the tip edge needs to be thicker for sure.

rick
Old 07-28-09, 01:24 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Cus I'm not a fan of the large single square look, I did a quick mod of fleadog's picture to show what I would go for in a squared off exhaust tip:

Kinda reminds me a bit of the IS-F Evo rendering we saw many months ago.
Old 07-28-09, 01:32 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Lets just go ALL OUT!!!!!!

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-28-09 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 01:41 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Aargh cus the bottom section of those tips are bugging me I straightened it out a bit. Yes I'm ****.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ultimate exhaust tip for the IS-F (see picture)