IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Steering Wheel - Texture of Leather

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 08:33 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel - Texture of Leather

I apologize for this obsessive dumb concern, but your steering wheel leather when it's new has a matte, flat textured appearance and feel, but after two years and 30,000 miles the oil and wear from your hands has caused it to morph into a shiny, glossy smooth with the appearance of black rubber.

It happens on every car with a leather covered steering wheel, and you can see what yours will look like in a two year old IS250/350.

My question, is there a product that restores the original matte textured look and feel to the steering wheel leather? Because if there isn't I may resort to wearing driving gloves which would make me feel and look stupid in the summer at least.

I think I'm probably all alone on this one...
Old 07-14-09, 08:40 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Try using Lexol pH balanced leather cleaner routinely ~2-3 months to keep the oils from your hands building up on the surface. You can use the Lexol conditioner too, but that might not be needed with the amount of oils coming from your hands.

AA

Old 07-15-09, 09:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Lexol doesn't do jack for this. Tried it on my Supra because I like the matte finish as well. It made zero difference.

In the RX forum there is a steering wheel refinishing thread and the guy was able to get a matte leather coating which made the steering wheel look brand new. The task wasn't a simple one, but when finished, it really looked like new. This might be the only hope.

I too like the matte finish, and if there were a way to keep the leather from polishing and smoothing, I'd sure like to know about it so I could just prevent it.
Old 07-16-09, 09:01 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I use Meguiars Gold Class Interior spray to keep the oils off and the matte finish alive. Works very well on the leather surfaces as well.
Old 07-16-09, 09:19 AM
YJacketISF
Rookie

A little bit OT, but since we're talking about leather, what are your best experiences with leather cleaners for the seats, or what would everyone recommend.
Old 07-16-09, 01:26 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Yikes I hope mine doesn't get shiny like that. My steering wheel looked brand new on my previous car when I sold it, so I don't anticipate I would have this problem, especially if the leather is high quality? I just keep my hands clean and use Meguire's leather wipes to maintain it.
Old 07-18-09, 12:04 PM
Damage
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure about you guys, but I find the leather on the steering wheel very DRY. It almost feels like a synthetic material. My S2K's leather definitely felt like leather. The ISF's feels like some course vinyl material.
Old 07-18-09, 02:16 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Lexol doesn't do jack for this. Tried it on my Supra because I like the matte finish as well. It made zero difference.

In the RX forum there is a steering wheel refinishing thread and the guy was able to get a matte leather coating which made the steering wheel look brand new. The task wasn't a simple one, but when finished, it really looked like new. This might be the only hope.

I too like the matte finish, and if there were a way to keep the leather from polishing and smoothing, I'd sure like to know about it so I could just prevent it.
Amazing DIY guide. I was wondering why the thread was locked?

He did a great job, i wonder how much it costs to refinish the leather?
Old 07-18-09, 09:22 PM
2LTurbo
Driver School Candidate

try using a water based leather cleaner and protectant like Leather Masters strong cleaner and protection cream. after 7500 miles my steering wheel still has a matte finish.
Old 07-19-09, 07:08 PM
F BOMB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Try using Lexol pH balanced leather cleaner routinely ~2-3 months to keep the oils from your hands building up on the surface. You can use the Lexol conditioner too, but that might not be needed with the amount of oils coming from your hands.

AA

I'm very impressed with this product, though I understand it probably won't prevent the glossy finish the leather is destined for.

I just try to remember to wash my hands before hitting the road. Dish soap is best at breaking down the oils in my Mediterranean skin.