IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Driving in M manual mode

Old 07-13-09, 09:28 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Driving in M manual mode

I don't have IS-F but I was told the "M" mode is truly a manual shift unlike ISx50 where it's just gears range selector?
Old 07-13-09, 09:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

That is correct. The F has D, S, and M modes. The D and S are just like the ISx50. The M is unique to the F and works very much like a true manual except it will never allow you to downshift to the wrong gear and overrev the engine to its demise the way you can with a manual if you hit second when you thought you were hitting fourth.
Old 07-13-09, 09:59 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

damn that's cool. i want this car even more now.
Old 07-13-09, 11:21 AM
jctheplaya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get one lol its worth the money
Old 07-13-09, 11:43 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt know that. That is awesome
Old 07-13-09, 11:54 AM
F BOMB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The downside is, to my knowledge, no way to rapidly select a lower gear for things like passing. If I'm cruising at 45 and want to drop from 8 to 2 or 3, it takes about 5-7 seconds for step down. Whereas in automatic, stomping on it puts it pass mode and it finds 2 or 3 immediately.
Old 07-13-09, 12:12 PM
PHXF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ you just need to think ahead more.
Think about it: when have you ever spontanteously decided you were going to pass someone and just done it? If you do, you're lucky you're still alive as there could be traffic coming at you or from behind you.
Usually, you are behind someone who is lagging and you begin looking for an opportunity, dashed line, or for traffic to clear. THEN, you stomp on it. Now you just need to start downshifting a few times while you're doing those things. When you've confirmed it is safe to go, you'll be sitting in 3rd gear ready to go.
Old 07-13-09, 01:04 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by F BOMB
The downside is, to my knowledge, no way to rapidly select a lower gear for things like passing. If I'm cruising at 45 and want to drop from 8 to 2 or 3, it takes about 5-7 seconds for step down. Whereas in automatic, stomping on it puts it pass mode and it finds 2 or 3 immediately.
I think this problem can be solved with either a Blitz throttle controller or the Toms Linear throttle controller. I ordered one cause I see the same problem that you see with the F. On the highway, by the time the F gets into the right gear, your oppenent is already way ahead of you. I'll let you guys know how the Blitz throttle controller works for the F. It should be in any day now.
Old 07-13-09, 01:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Sure is easy to spot the guys who've never owned a motorcycle...sequential gearing is sequential gearing. It surely isn't 5 - 7 seconds though. It might seem like it because the guy who IS in the right gear is getting away, but the reality is, this gearbox is very quick. I had zero issues with shifting speed at the track - the only issue I had was assuming it wouldn't be abrupt if I shifted in mid-turn. I found out very quickly it is equally bad in the F as it is in any manual or on any bike.
Old 07-13-09, 01:29 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

I've think I found the solution to the "slow-er" shifting people are talking about. I think it has something to do with the throttle being used as well. For some reason, if I try to downshift while at a moderately open throttle, it has to think for a little longer than usual. If you try to downshift with very minimal throttle or no throttle, the upshifts are pretty lightning quick.

Next time you guys drive, try this out. It has worked great for me, seriously. Just anticipate, release throttle to almost all the way off the gas, or all the way. Quickly tap downshift, 3-4 gears, and boom it will go very quickly.

If you are stomping the gas during this, it takes longer to go through each gear.
Old 07-13-09, 08:23 PM
F BOMB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sure is easy to spot the guys who've never owned a motorcycle...sequential gearing is sequential gearing. It surely isn't 5 - 7 seconds though. It might seem like it because the guy who IS in the right gear is getting away, but the reality is, this gearbox is very quick. I had zero issues with shifting speed at the track - the only issue I had was assuming it wouldn't be abrupt if I shifted in mid-turn. I found out very quickly it is equally bad in the F as it is in any manual or on any bike.
Seriously, time it. In manual mode, spur of the moment shifting to go from mundane to performance takes too much time. I know you're a riding man, but I don't think I'd compare a common desire shared by most automanual drivers to a bike. Those guys almost always want the full control of a manual without the worry of working a clutch. Granted, my transmission control unit can't read my mind before executing the paddle shift, and it pays to be experienced and sharp. But with guys like BMW mastering the dual clutch, I wouldn't be surprised to see a full-authority auto-stick making its way into new models some day.

And you figured right, I don't own a bike, though don't confuse someone that prefers autos to a European who has an old-fashioned urben motorcycling past.
Old 07-13-09, 08:39 PM
Looney100
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That is correct. The F has D, S, and M modes. The D and S are just like the ISx50. The M is unique to the F and works very much like a true manual except it will never allow you to downshift to the wrong gear and overrev the engine to its demise the way you can with a manual if you hit second when you thought you were hitting fourth.
It also won't let you upshift too far a lug the engine.
Old 07-14-09, 11:06 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried different ways to downshift fastest.
downshifting in M mode is just way too slow.. so what i do with stock is-f is place it sport mode in drive and punch the gas all the way down then switch it to manual mode after it goes into the right gear... downshift in sportmode is slightly faster then normal mode..
mayb everyone knows about this by now :P
Old 07-14-09, 11:25 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Seriously, time it. In manual mode, spur of the moment shifting to go from mundane to performance takes too much time. I know you're a riding man, but I don't think I'd compare a common desire shared by most automanual drivers to a bike. Those guys almost always want the full control of a manual without the worry of working a clutch. Granted, my transmission control unit can't read my mind before executing the paddle shift, and it pays to be experienced and sharp. But with guys like BMW mastering the dual clutch, I wouldn't be surprised to see a full-authority auto-stick making its way into new models some day.

And you figured right, I don't own a bike, though don't confuse someone that prefers autos to a European who has an old-fashioned urben motorcycling past.
So I tried it this morning - I see your point. It does wait to shift, even with my foot off the accelerator. I didn't notice this on the track, but I never downshifted four gears at at time either. At ~80 mph, a downshift from 8th to 4th took 3 seconds total, so I get what you're saying if you want to go from cruise to power quickly. It does shift much more quickly in D.
Old 07-14-09, 01:13 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been doing this since day 1...

Originally Posted by n0th1ng
I tried different ways to downshift fastest.
downshifting in M mode is just way too slow.. so what i do with stock is-f is place it sport mode in drive and punch the gas all the way down then switch it to manual mode after it goes into the right gear... downshift in sportmode is slightly faster then normal mode..
mayb everyone knows about this by now :P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving in M manual mode