IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

what is the best intake/exhaust setup for the F

Old 07-07-09, 10:26 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best intake/exhaust setup for the F

sorry that I dont post much becuase I thought I will get all my questions answered by just reading... it turns out that I dont so here I go....

Ive been up and down the boards at least a 100 times a day reading reviews on what people thought about the current mods that are out... I for one am totally confused on what I should go with at first I thought the typhoon kit was the way to go... then people said it will mess up your MAP sensor. then I was reading the JoeZ intake with a TOM's drop in filter will give just as much power as the typhoon kit without messing up your MAP. then I was reading the typhoon kit is actually safe and it will not mess up your MAP and it is much better than the JoeZ intake. NOW people are saying the JoeZ intake with a K/N filter is the best way to go.... So now I am confused..... of course the reviews for the JoeZ intake are people who I think make money off the product... SOOO I dont know who to believe....

also what is the best exhaust product I know CT ltuned dept sell the JoeZ exhaust... I think thats the best product on the market...but I was reading somewhere that e-cut-outs are actually the best way to go....If so? which brand? what are the reivews on the Borla? and Does anyone know if Tanabe is good and offers the quad exhaust look? and I think "catfeather?" or "cathfer" or however the hell you spell her name has a a whole bunch of mods for her car and she doesnt even have em listed which personally I think is unfair and should be a bannable offense.

Also What about the linear throttle control kit? I know flipside909 did a full review on Tom's awhile back and someone asked him a very important question about it by simply saying which one is better the "Toms" or the "Blitz". 909 response was simple... I think Tom's is made by Blitz... which NOW there are at least 2-3 people with a Blitz throttle kit and No follow up if either product is better or not....

and I think thats it for the mods part.... Im hoping for some feedback on this thread because frankly Im getting really annoyed driving stock
Old 07-08-09, 05:40 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

approach = epic fail

k&n typhoon intake and the individual intake filter are basically the same oiled filter with the same risks of messing up the MAF. but there's a group buy on it right now and can yield you the highest hp.

the JoeZ intake gives only a few horsepower (@ $140 for 5hp = .035hp/$1) and no real sound difference.

borla had some issues with fitment in the 2is, don't know about the F. i would suspect the same for the cat-back.

tanabe? did anyone buy that?

the joe z exhaust has been tested and used the most often and will yield you about .014hp/$1 ($1750 for about 25hp)

check out lexusf.com, some people posted their experience with the controllers.

have you drove it with the sport mode on and vsc off?
Attached Thumbnails what is the best intake/exhaust setup for the F-noob-12274.jpg  

Last edited by malujerry; 07-08-09 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-08-09, 05:52 AM
anajri
Driver

ok let see the exhasut that has made the most power is the PTS exhaust.
and for the intake the KandN but it has only been tested against the joez intake with an oem filter.. no one has yet to test the joez intake with the Tom's intake filter.. all other filter have not been liked by the IS-F...
I went with the pts exhasut joez intake and the tom's filter but only have 600 miles so waiting to have at least 1000 miles before dynoing...
on the e-cutouts they may be cheaper but no one has ever tested them on the dyno, and it may not be the best way to go, untill proven that it works..

Joez,
maybe you should get the toms and see what happens, hopefully it will benefit. Agtunning also went the same route and by next week we should have results...

as for the throttle controller they are the both the same exept for the price...

Last edited by anajri; 07-08-09 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-08-09, 10:33 AM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

I just installed the Joe Z exhaust with the Joe Z intake and Tom's Filter all I can say to you is WOW what a different car now the sound of the exhaust is amazingI never drive with the windows down but this thing is intoxicating...drove around all day with the windows rolled down just to hear the sound awsome job Joethe finish and quality was applauded by my installer.I too waited for feedback from ppl before I made a decision but the only regret is I didn't get it sooner.....as for the Blitz throttle controller got that too had it before the exhaust/intake/filter combo and that on it's own is alot of fun and makes the car FEEL more responsive especially when driving in full auto mode with the sport mode OFF,which to me is where the car needed the most help.I leave it set on sp2 and it's best if your on auto-sport-manual-whatever
Sp3 mode is way too touchy and breaks the tires loose too much for street driving-although that too can be fun once in a while IMO I think these 4 are the best mods to go with and not void your warranty.Another plus is all the head you'll turn when you stomp the gas
Old 07-08-09, 04:03 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

Originally Posted by malujerry
approach = epic fail

k&n typhoon intake and the individual intake filter are basically the same oiled filter with the same risks of messing up the MAF. but there's a group buy on it right now and can yield you the highest hp.

the JoeZ intake gives only a few horsepower (@ $140 for 5hp = .035hp/$1) and no real sound difference.

borla had some issues with fitment in the 2is, don't know about the F. i would suspect the same for the cat-back.

tanabe? did anyone buy that?

the joe z exhaust has been tested and used the most often and will yield you about .014hp/$1 ($1750 for about 25hp)

check out lexusf.com, some people posted their experience with the controllers.

have you drove it with the sport mode on and vsc off?
sorry about the approach but im just a little PO'd by the lack of follow up on the site.... I really dont complain so im prolly not that tactful at doing it but usually for the few mods that we have there should be stickies at the top of the forum for each product and all threads pertaining to those topics should be merged there... SOrry but thats just my Opinion.

I never drove the car with the VSC off and the car in sport mode. how does the car respond vs the F with the throttle control system?

also.. is it safer to go with a Tom's drop in filter with the JoeZ intake pipe?
Old 07-08-09, 05:25 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus999
sorry about the approach but im just a little PO'd by the lack of follow up on the site.... I really dont complain so im prolly not that tactful at doing it but usually for the few mods that we have there should be stickies at the top of the forum for each product and all threads pertaining to those topics should be merged there... SOrry but thats just my Opinion.

I never drove the car with the VSC off and the car in sport mode. how does the car respond vs the F with the throttle control system?

also.. is it safer to go with a Tom's drop in filter with the JoeZ intake pipe?
It's what I have along with JoeZ's exhaust and I love it.
Yes I think it's "safer" .. I was concerned about the oil of the K&N collecting on the MAF sensor.

G/L with your mods.
C.
Old 07-09-09, 06:49 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Default k&n

Originally Posted by ISFer
It's what I have along with JoeZ's exhaust and I love it.
Yes I think it's "safer" .. I was concerned about the oil of the K&N collecting on the MAF sensor.

G/L with your mods.
C.
I can NOT comment about the JoeZ exhaust because I have NO experience with it, however, I have installed upwards of 100 k&n cold air kits on customers cars and have NEVER had an issue with them contaminating a MAF sensor. At one time GM had a TSB about k&n oil contamination, and then had to retract that TSB because it was BUNK... Jeep had a problem with the 5.2L v8 breaking motor mounts and causing the k&n intake to bang into the underside of the hood, this caused a unintender accerleration condition. But in IMHO this was more Jeeps problem than k&n's. This being said I would buy what fits YOUR needs and do NOT worry about the oil MAF BULL*****. If some PUTZ puts a bottle of oil into a filter you are going to screw something up, either a MAF sensor or a O2 sensor!
Old 07-09-09, 07:35 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
however, I have installed upwards of 100 k&n cold air kits on customers cars and have NEVER had an issue with them contaminating a MAF sensor. At one time GM had a TSB about k&n oil contamination, and then had to retract that TSB because it was BUNK... Jeep had a problem with the 5.2L v8 breaking motor mounts and causing the k&n intake to bang into the underside of the hood, this caused a unintender accerleration condition. But in IMHO this was more Jeeps problem than k&n's. This being said I would buy what fits YOUR needs and do NOT worry about the oil MAF BULL*****. If some PUTZ puts a bottle of oil into a filter you are going to screw something up, either a MAF sensor or a O2 sensor!
I agree. My comments from another post:

"Some members have reported fouled ECMs using the K&N oil air filter. I have been running mine for about 5K miles with no such problem. K&N has a Q&A on their site addressing this "problem", and they say it's BS."

Lou
Old 07-09-09, 08:43 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lou, we all know your position in the K&N filter debate. I'd like you to try something, remove the K&N filter and put the stock one back in your car, then proceed to clean your MAF sensor and drive around. Tell me if you feel/see any difference in performance and gas consumption. I did, my car performed better with the stock filter, and you know other people have reported the same experience. If in your case there is no difference, or even better, the K&N filter works for you, then great, I'd keep it, but for many of us it didn't work.

I don't know about the Typhoon intake, I have no idea if the cone filter included is oiled or not.
Old 07-09-09, 08:56 AM
silinivan
Driver School Candidate

Best exhaust from ZEES - http://www.zees.co.jp/GS/IS-F_index.html
Old 07-09-09, 09:09 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

For anyone concerned with the K&N filter, has anyone considered buying the intake and just attaching another filter? I haven't seen the kit, so I don't know if that would work.
Old 07-09-09, 10:27 AM
Splat
Lead Lap

Lets not leave out another exhaust that has shown great results so far and is almost ready for full on debut the issforged exhaust weighs the same as others and is just another option to have in the mix!

that being said my car is at the shop and they are going to be dynoing in stock trim, w/ joe-z intake and stock filter, w/ joe-z intake and toms filter, and then with all those parts again and the issforged exhaust.
Old 07-09-09, 10:54 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by silinivan
Best in what sense? We're considering header back and axle back systems. Zees appears to axle back only. While it is illegal in the US to remove catalytic converters, most owners have found big power increases by removing them. Since Zees does not do this, I'd be very surprised if it equaled the header back systems we have already seen.
Old 07-09-09, 11:14 AM
anajri
Driver

Originally Posted by Splat
Lets not leave out another exhaust that has shown great results so far and is almost ready for full on debut the issforged exhaust weighs the same as others and is just another option to have in the mix!

that being said my car is at the shop and they are going to be dynoing in stock trim, w/ joe-z intake and stock filter, w/ joe-z intake and toms filter, and then with all those parts again and the issforged exhaust.
sweet
good luck on the dyno eager to see the results
Old 07-09-09, 11:18 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer dry filters myself.

Just get a dry filter for the K&N intake or don't oil it. Simple

Good intake with no fears of oil getting on a sensor.

K&N almost never pre-oils filters BTW.

We have sold a Few Typhoon intakes to F owners with no issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what is the best intake/exhaust setup for the F