IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-09, 08:51 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!

update: here is the link for the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD_EXBN2pCI

Guys i am really disappointed with my dealer or i should say Lexus Corporate as they are not helping me what so ever!!! I purchased my car back in Aug 08 with 5k miles on it...It was a demo car...Anyways right after i purchased the car i noticed strange metal clicking sound after the car warms up and i brought it to their attention. So the mechanic checked it out and he agreed that their is some strange metal sound, He told me that they will have to call the lexus regional rep and see what they have to say about it...After waiting for their answer they said it's normal and can not do anything about it!!

It's definitely not a normal sound as my friend has an IS-F too and his does not sound like that...I know that these engines have direct injection sound...This metal clicking sound is coming from the bottom of the motor and it gets loud..It's more noticeable on the driver's side bottom.

Guys if someone knows of a good dealer in NJ/MD/PA area let me know...i want this issue resolved as my Dealer is just BS'ing me!!!

This is from Lexus of Cherry Hill, NJ where me and my friend both purchased IS-F's on the Same Day.

Sorry for venting guys

Last edited by Salil022; 06-24-09 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-21-09, 09:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Why don't you just go to another Lexus dealer?
Old 06-21-09, 09:25 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time you hear it, if you pop your hood, can you hear it towards the top of the engine? I hear like a tapping sound on mine and the dealer said this is normal. You're right it does sound kind of like a metal clicking/tapping sound. You can hear it if you go near the wheel itself, however you can hear it better if you open the hood. I'll have to see if I can record a video sometime.
Old 06-21-09, 09:38 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ngl1145
Next time you hear it, if you pop your hood, can you hear it towards the top of the engine? I hear like a tapping sound on mine and the dealer said this is normal. You're right it does sound kind of like a metal clicking/tapping sound. You can hear it if you go near the wheel itself, however you can hear it better if you open the hood. I'll have to see if I can record a video sometime.

mine does the same... like little chimes
Old 06-21-09, 09:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I had a Yamaha bike that ticked incessantly when I bought it. I had the valves adjusted 5 different times thinking it was a valve problem. It wasn't. I complained to no end. Yamaha sent me a letter telling me the engine was fine and they don't fix "engine noises" they fix broken engines. When I did a bunch of work to it and made it even more powerful, the ticking got louder. The engine never failed. It annoyed the crap out of me, but after I'd rebuilt a few of them I found out they really did ALL make that noise.

I'm sure your dealer doesn't want to spend a bunch of hours troubleshooting the noise only to discover there's nothing broken they can fix. They invest the dealer's time in troubleshooting (or you pay for this time) and if there is no warranty issue, the dealer either eats the troubleshooting time (no dealer wants to do this in this economy) or you get charged and you end up even more P.O.'d because they're charging you money and they've not solved the issue. They're actually erring on the side of caution.

So, if you really want it fixed, you need to break the engine. They'll fix a broken one for sure. They just won't invest a lot of time in troubleshooting noises because they know they're going to lose. It's business.
Old 06-21-09, 11:02 PM
byung
Driver

check this out, hope this can help you.

L-SB-0164-08 December 3, 2008
1UR-FSE, 2UR-GSE, 3UR-FE Accessory Drive Belt
Tensioner
Service
Category Engine/Hybrid System
Section Engine Mechanical Market USA
Applicability
YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
2008 GS460
2008 IS F
2007 – 2008 LS460
2008 LX570

Introduction
Some customers may experience an abnormal noise from the engine accessory drive belt area. An
improved accessory drive belt tensioner assembly has been developed to keep the tensioner pulley
in alignment with the other pulleys. If the tensioner pulley is out of alignment, use the procedure in
this bulletin to address the customer’s concern.

Production Change Information
This TSIB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.
MODEL PLANT PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
LS460 JTHBL4#F*85074011
LS460L JTHGL4#F*85028662
GS460 JTHBL9#S*85002326
ISF
Tahara
JTHBP2#2*85001591
LX570 TAB JTJHY0#W*84005889
© 2008 Lexus, a division of Toyota Motor Sales, USA Page 1 of 4

L-SB-0164-08 December 3, 2008 Page 2 of 4
1UR-FSE, 2UR-GSE, 3UR-FE Accessory Drive Belt Tensioner
Parts Information
MODEL PREVIOUS PART
NUMBER
CURRENT PART
NUMBER PART NAME QTY
LS460
LS460L
GS460
ISF
16620-0W130 1
LX570 16620-0S010
Same Tensioner Assembly,
V-Ribbed Belt
Warranty Information
OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
EG8044 R&R Accessory Drive Belt Tensioner 0.5
16620-0S010 or
16620-0W130
91 14
APPLICABLE WARRANTY
• This repair is covered under the Lexus comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for
48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
• Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific
complaint.
Repair Procedure
1. Remove the drive belt.
Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS), applicable model year GS 460, IS F, LS 460
and LX 570 Repair Manual:
• 2008 GS 460, Engine/Hybrid System – Engine Mechanical – “1UR-FSE Engine Mechanical:
Drive Belt: Removal”
• 2008 IS F, Engine/Hybrid System – Engine Mechanical – “2UR-GSE Engine Mechanical:
• 2007 / 2008 / LS 460, Engine/Hybrid System – Engine Mechanical – “1UR-FSE Engine
Mechanical: Drive Belt: Removal”
• 2008 LX 570, Engine/Hybrid System – Engine Mechanical – “3UR-FE Engine Mechanical:
© 2008 Lexus, a division of Toyota Motor Sales, USA

L-SB-0164-08 December 3, 2008 Page 3 of 4
Repair Procedure (Continued)
2. Remove the drive belt tensioner assembly.
Figure 1. 1UR-FSE/2UR-GSE Engine
21 (214 , 15)
21 (214 , 15)
N*m (kgf*cm, ft.*lbf)
23 (235 , 17)
1 5
:
1 V-Ribbed Belt Tensioner Assembly
2 O-Ring (Non-Reusable Part)
3 Camshaft Timing Control Motor (for Bank 1)
4 Camshaft Timing Control Motor (for Bank 2)
5 Specified Torque

L-SB-0164-08 December 3, 2008 Page 4 of 4
Repair Procedure (Continued)
Figure 2. 3UR-FE Engine
1 Water Pump Pulley
2 V-Ribbed Belt Tensioner Assembly
3 No. 1 Idler Pulley Sub-assembly
4 Specified Torque
3. Replace the drive belt tensioner assembly.
Torque: 23 N*m (235 kgf*cm, 17 ft*lbf)
4. Replace the drive belt.
Refer to TIS:
• 2008 GS 460, Engine/Hybrid System – Engine Mechanical – “1UR-FSE Engine Mechanical:
Drive Belt: Installation”
• 2008 IS F, Engine/Hybrid System – Engine Mechanical – “2UR-GSE Engine Mechanical:
• 2007 / 2008 / LS 460, Engine/Hybrid System – Engine Mechanical – “1UR-FSE Engine
Mechanical: Drive Belt: Installation”
• 2008 LX 570, Engine/Hybrid System – Engine Mechanical – “3UR-FE Engine Mechanical:
5. Confirm the condition has been remedied.

I am not 100% sure if this is the problem, but i wish it can help.

Last edited by byung; 06-23-09 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-22-09, 01:52 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by byung

I have original PDF file(which has Repair Procedure pictures as well) from the lexus, but not sure how to post or link it, therefore I just copy and dragged it.
I am taking my car(with printed out papers) to dealer this friday for 10000mile service & above issues.
I am not 100% sure if this is the problem, but i wish it can help.
I will be happy to send you the original PDF files if you think you have the problem.
Please do not post the file or distribute it as it is copyrighted material by Lexus.
Old 06-22-09, 06:01 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Guys....Thanks for all the replies....This metal clicking sound is not the usual new lexus engine like sound...Its only there after the engine has been warmed up....It is very loud metal clicking sound that appears from the bottom of the motor...I am aware of the regular ticking sound!!! i have driven other is-f's and i have still yet to hear something similar noise.

I guess i'll have to record the sound so everyone can hear it!!!

Maybe one of the CL member who has heard this sound can chime in
Old 06-22-09, 06:04 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Today 12:09 AM
flipside909 Why don't you just go to another Lexus dealer?

i will be making an appointment with a different lexus dealer this week. I'll keep everyone posted how that goes
Old 06-22-09, 08:38 AM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Salil022
Guys....Thanks for all the replies....This metal clicking sound is not the usual new lexus engine like sound...Its only there after the engine has been warmed up....It is very loud metal clicking sound that appears from the bottom of the motor...I am aware of the regular ticking sound!!! i have driven other is-f's and i have still yet to hear something similar noise.

I guess i'll have to record the sound so everyone can hear it!!!

Maybe one of the CL member who has heard this sound can chime in
make a video and post it on youtube so everyone can hear
Old 06-22-09, 08:50 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Hopefully Soon!!
Old 06-22-09, 09:29 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i agree, the sound is not our usual direct injection noise, i dont hear it in my car. The place where we bought both of our cars from, looks like its degrading in service. i duno its not the "welcome feeling anymore" oh yea the dealer close to us, is even worse or was back in the day. I remember the older sales guy didnt even let us test drive the is350 when it came out. He asked us that and i quote" do you what the payments gona be for this car"
just because we were young they discriminate. that was the reason we dont like our local dealer.

Guys i am really disappointed with my dealer or i should say Lexus Corporate as they are not helping me what so ever!!! I purchased my car back in Aug 08 with 5k miles on it...It was a demo car...Anyways right after i purchased the car i noticed strange metal clicking sound after the car warms up and i brought it to their attention. So the mechanic checked it out and he agreed that their is some strange metal sound, He told me that they will have to call the lexus regional rep and see what they have to say about it...After waiting for their answer they said it's normal and can not do anything about it!!

It's definitely not a normal sound as my friend has an IS-F too and his does not sound like that...I know that these engines have direct injection sound...This metal clicking sound is coming from the bottom of the motor and it gets loud..It's more noticeable on the driver's side bottom.

Guys if someone knows of a good dealer in NJ/MD/PA area let me know...i want this issue resolved as my Dealer is just BS'ing me!!!

This is from Lexus of Cherry Hill, NJ where me and my friend both purchased IS-F's on the Same Day.

Sorry for venting guys
Old 06-22-09, 11:56 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Normal", "Unable to duplicate" or "No problem found" is a standard response when they can't diagnose the issue. I would request a Lexus Field Engineer and let him explains to you why it's normal. Escalate to Dealer GM to get an appointment if require. Just make sure the noise is not intermittent. It can be heard and duplicated consistently.

Please post update and good luck.

Today 12:09 AM
flipside909 Why don't you just go to another Lexus dealer?

i will be making an appointment with a different lexus dealer this week. I'll keep everyone posted how that goes
Old 06-22-09, 12:30 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Noise is there on consistent basis after the car has warmed up fully!!! If i turn the car off for 15-20 mins and then restart it, noise is not there...I have to go drive the car for 5-10 mins or let the car sit for 15 mins idling and you can hear it!
Old 06-22-09, 06:05 PM
F BOMB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is not on or inside the engine block.

You say it takes 5-10 minutes of driving with that engine, even after a short rest shut. To me it seems that's the time it would take for heat to creep into something that is on something like the drive belt, or maybe the cooling fans. Did those guys try the old trick of putting their ear to one end of a radiator hose while fishing the other end around like a stethoscope?

I'd say if it's something loud and bad enough that it's about to fail, it will probably happen sooner than later. Make sure to prepare your "I told you so" lecture if it does.

Quick Reply: Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!