IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY: IS-F front brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 03:21 PM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great write up. Definitely saved for when the time comes to do pads.
Old 08-11-15, 03:40 PM
TREE
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face

Just got my pads and rotors for the front and pads only for the rear. Gonna try to do everything hopefully Thursday and will see how everything goes. My buddy has done brakes before but I never have attempted but have always wanted to do it.
Old 08-13-15, 07:07 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by allst4risf
thanks lobuxracer for all your help...
Any one know what is the size wrench needed to bleed the brakes?
i guess i ll find out when i ichange out my pads.
I think it's an 11
Old 08-13-15, 10:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by torxuvin
I think it's an 11
This is accurate for the OEM bleeders and the Earl's speed bleeders.
Old 08-17-15, 05:26 PM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Great DIY, thank you. First time working on Brembos, couldn't have gone any smoother.

Old 08-17-15, 06:45 PM
TREE
Pit Crew

Definitely a great DIY. I replaced front rotors and pads. Took about two hours total. Second side was easier after I was confident doing the job and only took about 30 minutes of the two hours. The rear pads were really easy and only took about an hour with half of that time cleaning my wheels.
Old 09-15-15, 04:11 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by thegrunt
caymandive, thanks for the pictures and directions. It made this DIY very easy. I didn't use the shims, but now I know they help with heat so I might put them back on or upgrade to the titanium shims via RR Racing. We also installed new bushings in the front end (figs) and I could immediately tell a difference. And a big thanks to mikersoft for his help and patience.
Yep, this DIY was just what I needed to start doing my own brake work (and help Mark learn to do his). It's especially important to do it myself to save some $$ now that I've started doing track days & will run different pad compounds for track & street. Thanks.

BTW, I stumbled on a nice alternative to the c-clamp for depressing the caliper pistons before removing pads. I found these rubber covers for channel lock pliers at Sears.

-Mike

Old 09-15-15, 06:18 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Yep, this DIY was just what I needed to start doing my own brake work (and help Mark learn to do his). It's especially important to do it myself to save some $$ now that I've started doing track days & will run different pad compounds for track & street. Thanks.

BTW, I stumbled on a nice alternative to the c-clamp for depressing the caliper pistons before removing pads. I found these rubber covers for channel lock pliers at Sears.

-Mike

Nice alternative there Mikersoft. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad my DIY has been so helpful to not only myself but numerous others that like to save a few dollars and enjoy the satisfaction of a DIY project.
Old 09-17-15, 07:50 AM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for this DIY. I used it to change my front pads last night.

The front pad were worn pretty thin...

Old 05-29-16, 10:30 AM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

I'm confused as to where to put the copper lube. This DIY says the back of the shim, which touches the back of the pad and is what I did with my last pad change. Others have now also said that it's wrong, and that the lube should go on the front of the shim, which touches the pistons. Which one is it?
Old 05-29-16, 02:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulls23337
I'm confused as to where to put the copper lube. This DIY says the back of the shim, which touches the back of the pad and is what I did with my last pad change. Others have now also said that it's wrong, and that the lube should go on the front of the shim, which touches the pistons. Which one is it?
The Anti-Squel goes sandwiched between the Backing Plate of Brake PADS and Shims..

Never on the outside of shim touching the Pistons.

Below is a textbook install photo.

Joe Z
Old 05-29-16, 09:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

great write up bud. I have been inspiring some to hit the track and others are inspiring me to try some work on my car myself. I love Club Lexus
Old 05-30-16, 04:23 PM
empathy
Driver

you go to the track that often and you don't wrench on your own car for at least the minor stuff?

doing a full rotor swap in our cars is pretty much 4 bolts and 3 pins that need to be removed.
Old 05-31-16, 12:31 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The Anti-Squel goes sandwiched between the Backing Plate of Brake PADS and Shims..

Never on the outside of shim touching the Pistons.

Below is a textbook install photo.

Joe Z
Really? , I've always put the anti-squel on both sides, the side where it sandwhiches with the brake pad and the side where it makes contact with the pistons.

I thought thats how everyone does it? I can swear the dealership has done the same thing when I last looked at my pad change which they did.

Is there anything bad that can happen to the pistons if it makes contact with the anti-squel?

Last edited by Defratos; 05-31-16 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-31-16, 08:44 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
Really? , I've always put the anti-squel on both sides, the side where it sandwhiches with the brake pad and the side where it makes contact with the pistons.

I thought thats how everyone does it? I can swear the dealership has done the same thing when I last looked at my pad change which they did.

Is there anything bad that can happen to the pistons if it makes contact with the anti-squel?

What JoeZ has said is correct. With that being said I did take my calipers off to do a color change since the previous owner wrapped them. He did however just have the brakes done at a Lexus dealer which did in fact put the AS on the inner side of the plate and where the pistons touch.

hmmm.

Quick Reply: DIY: IS-F front brake pads